Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

10,000 to spend
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigg10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

What vw , and what yr??? I like beetles
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

Try the search function in the classifieds here & enter your maximum price. The later the VW, the less they will be. Earlier cars will typically be more money. They will also tend to be cheaper & in California & less rusty in the drier states.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Try the search function in the classifieds here & enter your maximum price. The later the VW, the less they will be. Earlier cars will typically be more money. They will also tend to be cheaper & in California & less rusty in the drier states.

... very good advice from TDCTDI-
$10K's a decent chunk-a-change - should be able to find a nice runnin' bug for that - have a preference of which model-year range you like? Be patient - Be willing to negotiate if you see something you like -
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

My advice... buy something you like. Oval, big window, Super beetle, whatever. Make sure YOU like it, don't buy something because that's what everyone else says is cool. Don't spend all of your money either. You'll probably need some of it for repairs. Good luck!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

I am biased, but a stock ragtop bug with popout windows is a sweet spot between a vert and a basic bug.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

Um, how do you plan to use it? Summer, fair weather weekends, short trips about? IF you are planning to drive longer distance and drive more frequently, I say a 68-70 beetle, maybe a convertible. I shy away from the later beetles with the half moon vents as that is prone to rust and is nasty to deal with. Buy the best bug you can. For that Money you can buy a very nice 65+ beetle. Down right minty fresh. At that price the older you go the rattier it's gonna be unless you stumble on a real bargain. Good luck.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
I am biased, but a stock ragtop bug with popout windows is a sweet spot between a vert and a basic bug.

I'd go Ragtop too.
If I ever buy another Bug to keep for a while, it would have to be a Ragtop.
Once you have a Ragtop or a sunroof, you can't really go backwards in my opinion.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

Do get what you want like a type 3 Notchback for example.
What ever you settle on the most rust free vehicle you are able to find like we have in Arizona!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
my59 wrote:

I'd go Ragtop too.
If I ever buy another Bug to keep for a while, it would have to be a Ragtop.
Once you have a Ragtop or a sunroof, you can't really go backwards in my opinion.
I would go "backwards" for a split!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

Budget at least $1K to address things the PO did wrong, or didn't tell you about, even if everything seems perfect.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

to have a shot a a reliable decent beetle for $10K or less is going to limit you to a later model beetle.

probably '68 and up

consider your mechanical, electrical, body/paint, upholstery skills as well to determine what future cost you'll be looking at.

you may be able to find an earlier '67 down car in the price range, however, most likely you'll be needing to do things to it that may spoil your vw experience. I have yet to find a "turnkey" '67 earlier solid car needing nothing under 10K...
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 10,000 to spend Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
to have a shot a a reliable decent beetle for $10K or less is going to limit you to a later model beetle.

probably '68 and up

consider your mechanical, electrical, body/paint, upholstery skills as well to determine what future cost you'll be looking at.

you may be able to find an earlier '67 down car in the price range, however, most likely you'll be needing to do things to it that may spoil your vw experience. I have yet to find a "turnkey" '67 earlier solid car needing nothing under 10K...

I would think he can find a nice car within his budget, especially if he is willing to go to the "land-o-plenty"....California. Just for starters.......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2188425
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: