Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injectors not spraying
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrokeDownAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Hey All your help would be much appreciated.
I have an 84 Westy with a 2.1 engine but all components of a 1.9 including a digijet ECU.
My engine will not start but is cranking. I have checked for spark and have it. I thought it could be a weak fuel pump so replaced it with a spare and new post filter. Still won’t start. Checked return fuel line and when turning over I have gas cycling through system. (Don’t have a pressure gauge).
Checking my injectors I do not have any spray pattern or leaking. (Bentley 24.26). While checking voltage supply to injectors with test light discovered test light turns on but doesn’t flicker. (24.26)
The Bentley say if voltage supply doesn’t work to check relays (24.32). Everything checked OK and the Bentley indicated had a bad ECU, replaced ECU and still not starting. My grounds at cylinder head are good. On 24.26 under checking voltage supply says to check Hall control unit impulse output to terminal 7.
I could not find how to check the “impulse output” of terminal 7 but did the whole check of the ignition coil to be sure and it’s good(28.32 fig 5 & 6). While checking the hall control unit (28.36) discovered I have no battery voltage between terminal 4 & 2. My hall control unit is a Fairchild build 33. I did all of the test on page 28.36 and was OK. But did not get battery voltage between terminal 7 of HCU and ignition coil terminal 15.

I am confused what is wrong with my Van. I have spark so don’t know why I need to check my HCU but I am still not getting spray from injectors. Any advice for what is wrong?

Thanks for your help (first time posting)!!
BrokeDownAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Update!
While doing wiring tests on Ecu plug discovered two of my injectors read 20 ohms 2 read 30 ohms. While checking HCU on ecu plug I’m getting .09 volts to HCU Aeg HCU test and Fairchild indicated 0.01 volts. (24.20).
Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

If you do not have battery voltage where the good book says you should then determine why.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Sorry that I won't be a lot of help, but just wanted to say welcome!
I'm certain a real guru will be along soon... (Mark? WT? ...???)

FWIW: If you pull injectors, can you get anything through them under pressure?

You can usually trigger them with just a small 9v battery... plumb in a can of carb cleaner &
it might tell you a lot. (I did this to diagnose a couple clogged Toyota injectors recently)...

Good luck - keep us posted!

- Dave (55616)

PS: We're heading your direction today...McDougal? Sand? Sullivan? We'll see...

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Too clarify, this engine and engine management system were working fine together to the point where now the engine cranks but does not start?

If so, anything leading up to the point where the engine no longer runs?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

BrokeDownAgon wrote:
While checking voltage supply to injectors with test light discovered test light turns on but doesn’t flicker. (24.26)

how exactly did you check this? between the injector terminals with the plug removed off the end of the injector or between one of the injector wires and ground?

there is a constant 12v supply on one of the wires and the ECU grounds the other wire creating a circuit for the injector to be energized. so, i would do this in trouble shooting:

- with the injector lifted from the manifold and the wire plug removed from the end of the injector, pressurize the system and apply 12v to the 2 terminals of the injector. see if the injector sprays. if so, the injector is ok.

- then if the injector sprays, connect a noid to the injector wire harness and crank. it should flash. i suggest a noid as they have a very low current draw bulb that won't damage the ECU. SOME test lights may have too large a bulb and damage a switching transistor. an LED-based test light with a low current draw would be fine connected BETWEEN the harness terminals. connecting a test light to either terminal and ground will not determine if the ECU is providing switching signals.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

I'm with Mark. Has this van been running along just fine and now this? Or are you in the middle of installing the 2.1 and changing it from the 1.9? That matters a lot. If you're in the middle of an install, some details on that? If it was running fine, some details on what happened?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
BrokeDownAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies! I’m at work now but will try these things out tonight!
The install happened 10 years ago and has been working great. Replaced starter last year to a gear reduction. Van was running great in June. Sat for three weeks and now won't start. I checked with test light how the Bentley says. Don’t have in front of me but will look tonight. Followed the book to the t.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

I am looking at page 97.55 in my factory manual. The fuel pump relay supplies 12 volts to the fuel pump, to one lead of each injector, and one of the leads for the auxiliary air regulator. So, that would indicate that the ECU is supplying a ground to trigger the injectors.

What is interesting looking at the diagram is that each injector has it's own ground wire leading back to the ECU. It's hard to imagine that all 4 injector grounds would fail simultaneously.

Looking at the diagram, the ECU is getting an rpm signal from the ignition module.

I would find the fuel pump relay and jumper terminals 30 and 87. The fuel pump should run, and then with all 4 injectors unplugged check for power on one of the leads of each injector. If you have power to all 4 injectors, then you will need to look at the ECU side of the problem. All of this assumes the fuel pump is getting power while cranking. Its just a way to isolate if the problem is power supply related or ground related.

A noid light really is almost a requirement to have in your arsenal of tools.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

You really need to confirm the fuel pump is 100% before you start looking at the ECU voltages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BrokeDownAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Thanks all!
Problem solved, there was a broken wire between my hall generator and hall control unit. Just needed to buy a new a plug. Problem solved
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

BrokeDownAgon wrote:
Thanks all!
Problem solved, there was a broken wire between my hall generator and hall control unit. Just needed to buy a new a plug. Problem solved

Great!

To help others that follow with similar problems, can you post a photo of what connection was bad?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
BrokeDownAgon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Plugs into your distributor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

BrokeDownAgon wrote:
Thanks all!

Where did you get the plug? Part number?

Thanks
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors not spraying Reply with quote

glad you found the issue! i'm not sure how you had spark, per your first post, but no injector spraying if this plug was the cause.. any ideas? was it intermittent?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: