Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martyn.griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Slowly collecting vintage speed bits for my 36hp.
So far.
69.5 crank, WW OKrasa heads, 010 dizzy, 77mm Barrels + Pistons.
Currently looking at Cam shafts.
I am unable to find any info on if straight cut cams shaft gears are period,
So hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

Reduced helix gears as found on 36 hp & 356 are correct (and for some reason overlooked by the later high performance crowd) ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martyn.griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Reduced helix gears as found on 36 hp & 356 are correct (and for some reason overlooked by the later high performance crowd) ..
We used to use these in our hopped up later engines back in the late 60s/early 70s when speed equipment was scarce and expensive for broke young folks. Very Happy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

I've asked this question before with no luck ....im building a 36hp okrasa as well and it's gonna be pre65 performance parts to keep it vintage speed ...and my thought at first was that straight cut gears won't work if I wanted all vintage performance ...but than I was looking at engines from the 60s and found out that the ford lotus 116e engine from 1964 used straight cut gears to run there cam ...so that got me thinking that if they had the idea to use them in that time . why can't we also use them when the idea was being used already in 1964 ...some one shine on me isn't vintage performance pre65 mean use parts and ideas that where out before Dec 1965 to pass as a vintage speed engine...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

Are you concerned about the gears due to a race class qualification?

If not, run the straight cut gears. It’s a valve train wear issue, not a power upgrade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Are you concerned about the gears due to a race class qualification?

If not, run the straight cut gears. It’s a valve train wear issue, not a power upgrade

It's just I'm trying to get as much hp as i can for my 1500cc 69x83 okrasa 40hp I'm using oem porsche 356 1.3 rockers .cam I'm thinking something like a sx2 or sx3 cam profile. so my goal is to keep it vintage speed /ideas from pre-65 but get as much ideas as I can..i don't wanna build a engine that don't fit /stands for ... and was just wondering if straight cut will pass. It's a tricky question ..some gonna say no but than like I said the idea to run straight cut gears was out and being used on other manufactures engines in the era..so why. Wouldn't they pass in vintage speed ,or race classes pre65 and pass for our engines..
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

Many of us at Bonneville are using straight cut gear sets .they work great. I spot face and reuse the original gears on many of my 36hp builds. I don't think the gear set will unleash any hp but it's your call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

If Bonneville allows them, then I’d say they count
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

I've seen the stock gears with a groove machined into the middle. I only saw the cam gear, not sure if it was done to the crank gear also. What is the reason for this?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I've seen the stock gears with a groove machined into the middle. I only saw the cam gear, not sure if it was done to the crank gear also. What is the reason for this?

I also seen and heard of this .I was told during the 60/70s racers used this method..it was to retain oil on the gear ...but I was looking on a porsche 356 sight about vintage racing and engine racing specs and they said not to use a cam with a groove in the center that you would run into problems but vw racing guys "old timers" say that they help and say it's a old racing trick ...so who knows you have these guys who say no stay away from them and others say yes there good upgrade for racing .. 😣😣😣😣....
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

A couple old timer Formula V racers told me that cutting the groove in the cam gear was good for 1 HP and those guys would do most anything for a 1 HP gain.

Do type 1 straight cut gears fit a 36HP motor?

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: straight cut cam shaft gears, vintage speed ? Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
A couple old timer Formula V racers told me that cutting the groove in the cam gear was good for 1 HP and those guys would do most anything for a 1 HP gain.

Do type 1 straight cut gears fit a 36HP motor?

Casey

Yes the straight cut gears will fit ..but the cb performance part # 1400 pro series won't the top gear has the build in spacer you can ether mill the the top gear spacer off and use the oem spacer or mill the oem spacer to size do to the fact that 36hp has a different size spacer than 40hp/ 1600cc ..but why do all that when cb performance part #1399 Will fit with oem 36hp spacer no milling to make it work .....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: