Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing aftermarket turn signal switch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:
Hope this will be an inspiration to get the job finished.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I'm not sure what I'm seeing there.

So to close out this thread let me first say a big "thank you" to Telford Dorr who walked me through some testing over the phone. The switch is now installed and everything is working correctly. Two important points I need to make. 6 of the wires matched the bus color code. The other two were somewhat different. The grey/black wire hooks up to the purple/black in the bus and the other was the green/black/white wire which really looked more like a green/white. It's hard to see.

Another important point is I found the half moon retainer would hit the circuit board when tightened down to the column. I had to bend it some so it would clear. Not positive but this could have been part of my problem.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

For a 1973 Type 2 Campmobile, is there supposed to be a signal cancelling mechanism after you turn? My turn signals work fine but do not cancel. I am not sure it is worth the trouble to go through all this just for cancelling.

steve
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
For a 1973 Type 2 Campmobile, is there supposed to be a signal cancelling mechanism after you turn? My turn signals work fine but do not cancel. I am not sure it is worth the trouble to go through all this just for cancelling.

steve

Hi Steve,

All year bay buses should cancel their turn signals. Can you confirm that your steering wheel to switch gap is about 1mm? That seems to be a large problem I find on others’ cars. Next, can you peek between the wheel and switch and see the metal cancelling tab that rotates with the steering wheel? When the wheels are pointed straight, is the tab on the left or right side of the steering wheel?

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

on the 73 the plastic that holds the cancel tab mech likes to crack. usually in the middle. pic showing a crack, not in the middle.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Thank you, I will look.

steve
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

My problem was the canceling cam didn’t reach the switch dogs. I bent the corners out slightly and works fine now. I can post a pic if needed.

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

I tried one of the aftermarket switches for my '71 about 3 years ago. Lasted less than a year before it started giving me problems. I took it out and bought a NOS switch which was way more expensive but has worked flawlessly since then. If you can, look for a NOS switch and only cry once.
SBL74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

You can learn a lot by looking.

The turn cancellation ring on the steering wheel was far away from the turn signal switch. This was because the whole collar had slipped down the steering column. I loosened the screw, slid it up, re-tightened, and everything works fine.

steve
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

SBL74 wrote:
You can learn a lot by looking.

The turn cancellation ring on the steering wheel was far away from the turn signal switch. This was because the whole collar had slipped down the steering column. I loosened the screw, slid it up, re-tightened, and everything works fine.

steve

Glad it worked out for you!
Santa1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Anybody have a line on a QUALITY TS switch? What is being used, bought one but you have to push the handle in to make it move Mad
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Santa1952 wrote:
Anybody have a line on a QUALITY TS switch? What is being used, bought one but you have to push the handle in to make it move Mad

Might help people to know, What year?
Good luck
Tcash
Santa1952
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Sorry missed that Embarassed
1971 type 2 bus
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

The OEM turn signal switch in my '70 crew cab has stopped cancelling correctly on right turns. I have taken it apart and cleaned it but the issue appears to be internal wear. Having read unfavorable reports on the aftermarket switches, I looked in the classifieds for a NOS unit. Several available, but at $300 a pop, they are way too rich for my blood (I'm from West Michigan; I'm not Dutch but I am cheap). I put a saved search in Ebay and this just popped up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-Turn-Signal-Lever-...86146.TRS4

The description sounds very promising, and I like the fact that I can order the guts without the housing. Has anyone ordered one of these yet? If so, can you report back on the quality, wire matching and operation? If not, I may need to play guinea pig.
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Well, no response, so I assume no one has tried this part yet. I'm tired of not having a working right turn signal so I just ordered the "guts only" option.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switch-Turn-Signal-Lever-Guts-Only-211-953-513-GG/382337318831

Oddly enough, the "guts only" option is $1.50 MORE expensive than ordering it with the housing. Also, it is worth noting, if you need the full unit rather than the guts, it is currently listed at $145 on the Airhead Parts website and $98 on Ebay, whereas the guts are $99.50 in both locations. The Ebay listing doesn't say "sale" so it almost looks like a mistake (take advantage of it before they notice?).

I will install and report back in the next couple weeks.
stultis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

Any updates on the Airhead parts turn signal switch. I am having issues with mine on my 1971 Westy.

Thanks
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing aftermarket turn signal switch Reply with quote

stultis wrote:
Any updates on the Airhead parts turn signal switch. I am having issues with mine on my 1971 Westy.

Thanks

Sorry, life got in the way. :-/ I ordered/received the switch several weeks ago. At first blush it looks to be well constructed and works smoothly but the proof is in the pudding (real-world installed operation).

I will definitely be installing it some time in the next 2 1/2 weeks..... soon if I get motivated, but by mid-October at the latest since I have a work day scheduled with Robbie/ASIAB3/Airschooled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: