Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Curtains doing their job. Front ones are just clipped on. May use magnets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marlonius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I've enjoyed following your build and think the curtains look great -- very period correct pattern.

I used rare earth magnets to affix curtains in my own van, and can hook you up with a good Canadian supplier if you want.

They're great, but a challenge to finish sewing because the magnets stick to the machine and needle. I kid you not when I say that I'm keeping my eyes out for a road-kill porcupine that I can take some quills from for hand sewing the final stitches on the last curtains.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I added the cord along bottom of the curtains. Makes for much more privacy.

I don't notice the curtains while driving except when one flaps out a window from time to time. This should prevent that but the curtains don't extend much past the cord. Maybe the curtains could have been a little longer but I like the look that length. this

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

We picked up a foam mattress instead of buying foam. https://www.wayfair.ca/furniture/pdp/lucid-5-firm-...&cltr= 5" thick double (edit: they call it a full). Cheeper and it's actually designed to sleep on. We used it on the weekend and we both found it comfortable.

Seems like it will be fine for setting on but that is secondary to sleeping on it.

We will cut it into 3 cushions and make covers. Will have to cut about 2" off the width.

Last edited by sgellis on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Maybe the curtains could have been a little longer but I like the look that length.

Sew a hem like the top with what you got?
splitty_64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

curious to see how it cuts and finishes into cushions:) Looks promising!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Bus season is coming to an end so time to start thinking about this again.

We camped twice with it this summer and enjoyed it. Few things are necessary to make it work in all weather though. Needs insulation and wall panels. Needs an awning with sides. Will be nice to have some cabinets, especially the side door rack and a fridge.

Things to focus on first is getting awning built. Wiring, insulation and wall panels on. Then building the fridge cabinet and then the rest of the cabinets. I hope to get it complete before next season but just incase I will do the important things first.

I have a lot of stuff figured out so I started collecting parts. Will post on each as I build/Install.

Noticed I never posted the bed frame drawings so here they are. Quite happy with how it worked. very solid. I will add some more detail and mounting locations later.

BedFrameAssembly
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/a94xo6xdtykxzjx/BedFrameAssembly.pdf

https://a360.co/2IAf0Rc
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Started a few bits tonight.

Picked up some 1/8" scrap plastic to make patterns for some of the difficult panels. Started with the cab roof. Cut it close then slid it forward and scribed the front. The track needed to be bent in a little at outside corner to allow the panel to insert. When I checked to see if the left side was the same, the plastic shattered so I taped it up.

Fitted the 1/2 plywood floor. I think I will thin it slightly down the center as the steel floor has a ridge where they lapped.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Made a pattern for the kick panel.

Started with some old plastic and made a very ruff pattern. Then used tape and paper to make it correct and then transferred that to a new piece of plastic. I will add the extra holes for the drivers side to the ruff pattern later.

totemwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Made a pattern for the kick panel.

Started with some old plastic and made a very ruff pattern. Then used tape and paper to make it correct and then transferred that to a new piece of plastic. I will add the extra holes for the drivers side to the ruff pattern later.

Nice work. What did you use to cut panels to get crisp lines/edges?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

totemwesty wrote:
Nice work. What did you use to cut panels to get crisp lines/edges?

Thanks.

This plastic is quite soft so can be cut with a utility knife.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Door panel pattern done.

I ruff cut the shape and drilled the door handle hole and two screw holes. The screw holes are 3/4" from the edge because I wanted to avoid the 1/4" holes for original fasteners. Once I could secure the panel to the door I scribed the curved parts and drilled the remaining screw holes. The last hole I drilled was lower front and discovered there was no steel there. I could move the screw but then it would look off so I attached some 1/2" plastic using the original hole and a #8 flat head screw.

Ruff cut the rear corner panel. I need to figure out where the screw will go and I think it will need a stiffener alone the top. Depends on how the plywood lays. Think I will make a clamp and pre curve the panel.

Now that I have the complex patterns made I can mark all the panels out on the plywood so they will have the best grain and avoid the imperfections.

BOORNA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Cant wait to see it finished. Nice build, well done! Smile
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

That looks like a fun one to make.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Joey wrote:

That looks like a fun one to make.

I got lucky with that one. Haha Still needs to be cut down some once I decide where the screws will be and get it secured. I have a feeling the plywood won't go in as easily.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Got a few days off over the holidays so hoping to get the panels done.

Took a couple hours to layout the panels to avoid all the flaws in the wood. It is hard to get good plywood.

Have to be very careful cutting the plywood cross grain or it chips. Fine toothed blades and placing masking tape before cutting helps. Bandsaw works well also.

Got a couple panels cut. Hopefully I can get a bunch done this afternoon... If I can get to the shop. Bit of a snow storm here today.

Last edited by sgellis on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Very nice work. Good fit on the panels. It's fussy work for sure.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Fitting panels before I smooth and finish then.

I noticed there is 9/16" space between handle and door panel. Too much gap for escutcheons. I could put a spacer behind to force the panel out but then it doesn't lay quite as nice. I could also turn some on the lathe...

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Install the usual springs that sit between the door and the back of the wooden panel and you should be fine I'd think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

bit more

Decided to screw on the hatch panel. I don't have enough steel fasteners and the ones I have are not great. It will match the rest anyway.

Long wall fitted. I will glue the two panels together with some backing for strength. The seam will be behind the cabinet so wont show. I made the side walls extend back to a point. This covers more steel and the seat bracket holes. I need to fined some J channel for the bottom of the wall panels or make a back support

Door panels fitted. I put the holes too low across the top of the front panel. Did get the screws into steel but was very close. Middle screws are higher on the rear door but the spice rack will cover them. Still need to round the bottom corners...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 27

Jump to: