Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So I have a 74' standard beetle that sits at stock height with stock springs/torsion bars, dual 3/4" sway bars, and KYB soft ride shocks on 165/80R15 tires. I was wondering what kind of alignment specs you guys like for a road car (have some more fun windy roads on my way to work, but lots of freeway too). Here is kind of what I was thinking, but im not sure.

Front:
1-1.5 deg neg camber
1-2mm toe out

Rear:
1-1.5 deg neg camber (probably matched to the front)
1-2mm toe in
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Do you want your tires to wear abnormally? Very Happy
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Do you want your tires to wear abnormally? Very Happy

are you talking about the one sided wear from the camber or the increased wear from the toe? I was under the impression that such minor adjustments shouldnt cause significanty increased or weird wear.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Did you mix up the toe specs? I believe it should be toe in on the front and toe out on the rear.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Went to alignment recently and after getting it right, I consider it, especially for a bug extremely important to get right. Besides power, handling is what makes the fun and safe to drive.

Unless you have a shop that will is really willing to test drive it after alignment more then once you really never know.

My bug has dropped front spindles 2 1/2" drop, Plus 195 60 15 rears and 195 50 15 race tires front. Same KYB as you in the front and Gas A Just KYB in the rear. Front and rear anti sway bars.

Car had a life of it's own, dart from here to there, dangerous.

I put in New Ball joints, tie rods and tie rod ends. Now comes the story.

I got several suggestions as to how to have it aligned.
One was use two sets of spacers to correct camber.

I go to check out the car the mechanic and see the two sets on the car.

I get a call, car is ready, get on the NYS Thruway in one direction and do 90 no problem, then on the way back 100 and the steering got light.

Went back tell the shop -- great job.. Look under the car and do not see the two sets of shims which were on the car before.

The Machanic says, we tried one set did not like it, then tried the other did not like it either. Took them out realigned. He test drove it at 80 each time till he felt it right.

My point when you do what we think is a simple mod like a tire size.

You need a good shop to take their time and get it right.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

CASTER shims, not camber shims.

Caster is the angle of the steering axis of your spindles, and more caster = greater self-centering tendency of the steering...this will make the steering feel more stable at high speeds and when braking (when the dive of the front end naturally decreases the caster angle).

I don't think electrickery works that way
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

possiably he has the top caster excentrick thingys on the botton too Shocked Rolling Eyes they do caster and cramber...
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
possiably he has the top caster excentrick thingys on the botton too Shocked Rolling Eyes they do caster and cramber...

Uh, no...the eccentrics on the top of the spindle do not change the caster angle Laughing Laughing Laughing

Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Uh, no...the eccentrics on the top of the spindle do not change the caster angle Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes they do. Because they rotate they not only move the top mount o fthe spindle left and right relative to the upper balljoint, but forward and backwards as well causing minor changes in castor.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Yes they do. Because they rotate they not only move the top mount o fthe spindle left and right relative to the upper balljoint, but forward and backwards as well causing minor changes in castor.

No, they don't. The caster is determined solely by the position of the ball joints. The steering axis cannot rotate through any points except the center of the upper ball joint and the center of the lower ball joint.

If you had some magical eccentric that could shift the steering knuckle 45 degrees, the axis of steering would still pass through the upper and lower ball joint, which have not changed their position.

The eccentric does shift the position of the spindle (the center of the axle) with respect to the steering axis, but that has a minor effect on trail, not on the caster angle itself.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Eskamobob1 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

No, they don't. The caster is determined solely by the position of the ball joints. [u]The steering axis cannot rotate through any points except the center of the upper ball joint and the center of the lower ball joint.[/
If you had some magical eccentric that could shift the steering knuckle 45 degrees, the axis of steering would still pass through the upper and lower ball joint, which have not changed their position.

The eccentric does shift the position of the spindle (the center of the axle) with respect to the steering axis, but that has a minor effect on trail, not on the caster angle itself.

I think I understand what yo're getting at, but don't forget, the eccentric does change the relation of the axis of the wheel's rotation to the axis which goes through both all joints.

Wheel offset also has big influence on handling...
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

I think I understand what yo're getting at, but don't forget, the eccentric does change the relation of the axis of the wheel's rotation to the axis which goes through both all joints.

That would be the "trail", which I described above (this is more appropriately defined as the distance between the tire's point of contact at the ground and the projection of the steering axis to the ground). The eccentric affects the trail by approximately 1/2 the fore/aft distance created by changing the position of the eccentric. Changing the caster angle via caster shims has a larger effect on trail than the eccentric does.

Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
No, they don't. The caster is determined solely by the position of the ball joints. The steering axis cannot rotate through any points except the center of the upper ball joint and the center of the lower ball joint.

I think you are forgetting that ball joint pivot. you would be correct if the ball join was a solid piece, but when you adjust the eccentric the ball joint also adjusts slightly into a different position. This adjustment of the balljoint between the forward and the rear of the car (because the spindle is a solid piece) absolutely requires the adjustment of the balljoint to move at all, there by effecting caster.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Ok, so I ended up dropping it off at the shop yesterday and asked the guy there what he recommended (shop had a GL bug out front and lots of buses and ghias so I figured I would ask). They basically said, for street use, a good compromise is anywhere between -0.5 to -1 deg camber and then straight ahead of rear and about 1/2mm roe put in front so that you still get the extra bite but don’t sweep the tires all too bad. I’ll go ahead and report back with exactly what they did and how it feels when I get it back tomorrow
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alignment specs for 74' Standard Beetle with minor upgrades? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

eye was maken a joke..... excnetricks top and bottom....instead of caster shimmy thingy....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: