Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Here's another good reference that shows the main cavity feeding both the primary discharge as where as the carb mixture discharge and transfer ports.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

I'm no longer trying to solve a problem, as I've decided that the oil temperature measurements I am getting are probably normal.
I am still fine tuning a little though.
I measured the float levels, without the original 'Solex' 0.5mm gaskets in place; 14mm on the left and 14.5mm on the right. Spec is 12-14mm I believe, so I could cut some new ones from 1.6mm gasket material I have. I only have 1mm washers for the float valves.
I changed the air correction jets to 130's and went for a ride.
(Mains are still 137.5)
Not much change. The AFR at 62mph is still around 13.7, but at wide open throttle it is a little lower at 13.3
As you would expect, I guess. I'll see how things feel on our long camping trip to Glencoe this weekend.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

I'm doing a bunch of Solenoid research right now since I've found some really shitty parts out there, and this picture you just posted has me very confused.

Can you verify the part number on that idle jet solenoid? Is it "113 129 413 D"?

If so, I'm super confused -- I have found documentation that shows "113 129 413 D" should be a 60 jet, and its 6 volts.. The 55 jet in 12 Volts should be "111 129 413 B"..... your solenoid clearly says 12V and 55 on it... Perhaps you have a part number I havent seen yet..

If you could double check that part number for me that would really help me put together some accurate data for this thread .

You can see the big discrepancies between these... Left to Right:

1. Jbugs -- I dont think it's possible to even run these in PDSIT 32-34s, they don't seat properly, aren't meant for a collar, and I think they're really 6Volts
2. Borsol (via Bus Depot) -- These are meant to run with collars and grommets, but have different physical characteristics than the originals and Pierburgs, particularly the exit orifices on the shafts.

3. My Originals -- No idea if these came with the bus when it left the factory, but they were in my one owner original low mileage bus with original carbs. These seat properly, dont over munge the rubber grommet in the collar.

4. Pierburg -- the one oin the photo is not the correct "111 129 413B" G55 12 volt. I haven't been able to find one yet. However, the basic physical appearance to my "original" one is very clear.

The "originals" and the Pierburgs are far superior parts -- they're heavy to the touch and the orifices are operate positively. You can see in the picture the Jbugs exit orifice isn't even shut all the way.

If anyone is actually successfully running the Jbugs/Borsol/Bus Depot solenoids in their PDSIT's I've love to hear from you!
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

[quote="xyzzy"]
mcdonaldneal wrote:

I'm doing a bunch of Solenoid research right now since I've found some really shitty parts out there,
If anyone is actually successfully running the Jbugs/Borsol/Bus Depot solenoids in their PDSIT's I've love to hear from you!

You will soon become my Go To Guru for dual carbs . . .
Colin Razz
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

I'm doing a bunch of Solenoid research right now since I've found some really shitty parts out there, and this picture you just posted has me very confused.

Can you verify the part number on that idle jet solenoid? Is it "113 129 413 D"?

I'm not sure how much help I'll be at the moment, I'm in a hotel in Slovenia, driving down through Europe and I only have patchy internet access. Also, naturally, I don't have the carbs with me!
I did find a blurred picture of the other side jet which appears to say 'URG' (Pierburg?) and also says 12v, size 55, and the ... ... ... D part of the part number. Don't forget that these carbs appear to have come from a 2.0l dual carb Vanagon originally, so might be too late for the documentation you have?

Anyway, I'll try to check the numbers and post a couple of pictures when I get home, but that will be at least three weeks away.

xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Anyway, I'll try to check the numbers and post a couple of pictures when I get home, but that will be at least three weeks away.

Thank you, this would be super helpful. I'm hoping that you have a part number which I can't account for and maybe we can find a source for them! Also be worthwhile to know if you're running them with or without the collar and grommets. EDIT: I see you have the collar in one of the previous pictures.

Definitely don't lose those solenoids...
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

The Pierburg 12V 55 idle jet solenoid cutoff valve is:

PE 20357/55 12V 8291
Part #056 129 413 D

I have two in the mail and will report back
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

I assume there is no reason these HAVE to be electric cut-off jets except by original equip specification? I think one can just screw in fixed Solex idle jets. I once installed a set of Eurospec (Overland Parts) Brosol 32-34 PDSIT replacement carb and they did not have electric cut off idle jets, but rather the fixed jets.
The cut off jets make run on less likely and are also easy to check carb balance by selectively unplugging them. But on a manual trans car they are not necessary. Not sure about automatic.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

I assume there is no reason these HAVE to be electric cut-off jets except by original equip specification? I think one can just screw in fixed Solex idle jets. I once installed a set of Eurospec (Overland Parts) Brosol 32-34 PDSIT replacement carb and they did not have electric cut off idle jets, but rather the fixed jets.
The cut off jets make run on less likely and are also easy to check carb balance by selectively unplugging them. But on a manual trans car they are not necessary. Not sure about automatic.
Al

Like this one on a 32PBIC from a 1956 Porsche 1600N.
The hex plug with the straight slot and a steel ball in the hole.
It is marked (hard to tell, small script g 55?) and SOLEX
Years ago, I used to buy them from Foreign Auto Supply. Southern California. Not much money.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

When I ran these carbs years ago, one of the large cutoff jets stripped the threads it was screwed into causing a big vacuum leak which I fixed with JB weld. It held up for years. I stopped using them when the engine swallowed the second set of accelerator pump tubes.

All superbly repaired by Tim at Volkzbitz. He replaced one of the cutoff jets too. I will have a look to see which one...
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
I assume there is no reason these HAVE to be electric cut-off jets except by original equip specification?

Actually, Alan, they became necessary for the health of the engine as the mixtures got leaner and hotter in the early 1970s. Without the cut-offs providing a positive stop, pistons were getting damaged from dieseling.

I like running slightly elevated CHTs ( 400 +/- ) that keep valves and ports clean, and I do a lot of highway driving that could cause a few pingy knocks at engine shut down if the fuel wasn't cut off. This is true for the 1968 and later 1600 carbureted engines as well.
Colin
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

Thank you, this would be super helpful. I'm hoping that you have a part number which I can't account for and maybe we can find a source for them! Also be worthwhile to know if you're running them with or without the collar and grommets. EDIT: I see you have the collar in one of the previous pictures.

Definitely don't lose those solenoids...

Ok, here you go.
Pretty dirty but, as you see, both with collars and grommets. Gave them a gentle clean for the pics!
Part number is 058 129 143D
Don't forget these are apparently from a 2.0l twin carb Vanagon (prob European spec) I haven't searched for the part number yet...

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

I’ve often wondered the actual condition of my cut-off solenoids on my PDSIT 34, original carbs on my ’74 Westy.
I had to pick the pair I’m currently running for a couple of years now of a type 1 1600 motor, and honestly don’t know if they are correct for my application, as when I did have my bus running nicely, the bus would still like to diesel when I shut it off.
Did we conclude what vendor is best for replacement cut-off solenoids for our PDSIT carbs?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Definitely try and find the Pierburgs. I haven't had any luck at all with the cheaper parts.
Culito

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm also trying this experiment and was wondering if you fine folks could condense the large amount of great info in this thread.

Here's my build:
-Formerly 1800 AW engine, now 2.0L. I received it in bad shape (loose valve seats, EGR system full of holes, etc). Looks like it had been thoroughly abused.
-New heads, P&C set from Bugguy1967
-blocked off brake booster ports, no EGR or charcoal canister (this is not going in a bay bus).
-Rebuilt and re-bushed the stock Solexes, installed 140 air and 132.5 mains.
-Stock DVDA
-Stock air filter, horns, etc
-All new gaskets, hoses, seals, etc.

Situation:
-right now won't idle off chokes, pops out carbs, impossible to tune or get to idle without a massive amount of advance. Seemingly very lean. I have studied Colin's tune procedure but any fine adjustments are impossible at the moment.
-Will look again for vacuum leaks but since everything is new, not sure where that could be.

Regarding jetting, wondering if I'm in the ballpark there and:
-do I need to worry about the idle cutoff jet sizing?

Thanks for any help, wonderful Sambanistas!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Hey guys, I'm also trying this experiment and was wondering if you fine folks could condense the large amount of great info in this thread.

Here's my build:
-Formerly 1800 AW engine, now 2.0L. I received it in bad shape (loose valve seats, EGR system full of holes, etc). Looks like it had been thoroughly abused.
-blocked off brake booster ports, no EGR or charcoal canister (this is not going in a bay bus).
-Stock DVDA

Situation:
-right now won't idle off chokes, pops out carbs, impossible to tune or get to idle without a massive amount of advance. Seemingly very lean. I have studied Colin's tune procedure but any fine adjustments are impossible at the moment.
-Will look again for vacuum leaks but since everything is new, not sure where that could be.

Jetting is fine.

Definitely need to verify there are no air leaks first and foremost. Are your float levels correct? Next, have you verified your solenoids all work?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

Here's my build:
-Stock DVDA

Situation:

I'd double two things here-

* Your spark plug firing order is correct.
* You condenser is good.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Will double check firing order but I'm 99.99% sure that is correct.
Using a Pertronix.

Can't find any vacuum leaks...yet.
Solenoids click nicely and I cleaned them thoroughly. Can pull and double check those.
Haven't checked float levels yet. Can I just pull the carb top off and check these in situ? Tips on measuring?

Thanks guys!
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

Haven't checked float levels yet. Can I just pull the carb top off and check these in situ? Tips on measuring?

Yep, as long as the car is on level ground. Bentley, Fuel System has the simple procedure, but if yours is still in the mail:

Run the engine at idle for a bit right before testing so you know the fuel level is consistent to operation; some carbs dribble when sitting. Remove the top plate of the carb, carefully tending to the gasket so you can reuse it, and measure from the top of the carb to the fuel level.

Factory dual carbs want 12-14mm (.47-.55 inches.)

Have a rag handy in case the fuel line drips when you remove the top plate, and remember to get all wires, springs, and cables hooked back up before starting the engine.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PDSIT carbs on 2.0 liter engine Reply with quote

So!
I started with the left side and measured the float level to be 17mm from the top. I had a spare gasket so I stacked them and that brought the level up to 14.5...ish.
Close enough, I think.

I did however, make another discovery:

It appears that I have a 55 idle in one side, and a 52.5 in the other (can anyone confirm that that is the jet size stamped there?)

I swapped them side-to-side and the carb started popping out of the 52.5 side (right side this time, was popping mostly out of the left).
It only takes a minute for things to start going crazy after a cold start!

I'm hoping this is the smoking gun.
I'll see if I can find two 55 idles locally and ditch the electromagnetics, if this is indeed the problem.
johnnypan wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: