Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pump to case leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

I installed an oil pump several months ago using a new pump to case paper gasket and a new cover to pump paper gasket. I also applied a very narrow bead of Hylomar to the case flange, and both ends of the pump...being extra careful to stay outside of the pump’s pressure relief groove. I was also very careful to make sure all mating surfaces were surgically clean, and I torqued all fasteners to spec.

300 miles later, the cover to pump seal is leak free, however, the pump to case seal is leaking from both sides and the bottom.

What is the tried and true best practice for installing an oil pump to insure it doesn’t leak?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:

What is the tried and true best practice for installing an oil pump to insure it doesn’t leak?

Did you re-torque the case blots around the pump housing? If not the oil can seep around the pump housing.

What you did should have worked. It's not rocket science!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

Did you re-torque the case blots around the pump housing? If not the oil can seep around the pump housing.!

Yes I did, torqued to 14 ft. lbs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

Did you re-torque the case blots around the pump housing? If not the oil can seep around the pump housing.!

Yes I did, torqued to 14 ft. lbs.

Damn, I was hoping.

The latest scuddle butt on oil pump housing machining, is that they are not as precise as they used to be.

Perhaps your pump has a metal housing? Rather than aluminum that would expand with the case when heating up to engine temp.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

[/quote]The latest scuddle butt on oil pump housing machining, is that they are not as precise as they used to be.

Perhaps your pump has a metal housing? Rather than aluminum that would expand with the case when heating up to engine temp.[/quote]

Rather than installing a new pump, I reinstalled the pump that I had removed as part of a resealing project which included oil cooler seals, oil sending unit, generator stand, etc. i’m pretty sure the pump is aluminum.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Are you certain it's the pump mating surface that is leaking and not a leak coming from above the pump?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Yeah, I would try to clean off the entire area that shows leakage and run the engine briefly, just enough to spawn new leakage then try to zero-in on the pinpoint source of said leakage.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yeah, I would try to clean off the entire area that shows leakage and run the engine briefly, just enough to spawn new leakage then try to zero-in on the pinpoint source of said leakage.

I did this yesterday, and with the car up on jackstands with the engine running, I can see that its leaking at the pump to case seam.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Maybe I should try this method?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576597&highlight=oil+pump+installation
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
Maybe I should try this method?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576597&highlight=oil+pump+installation

Yes. I also do permatex----gasket----permatex.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very fond of this stuff, works like a charm, and the only reason I know about it and use it is- ta da!- VW oil pumps.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

&Dan wrote:

Very fond of this stuff, works like a charm, and the only reason I know about it and use it is- ta da!- VW oil pumps.

Do you use this with or without the gaskets?

When you’ve used it....no pump to case or cover to pump leaks experienced?
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:

Do you use this with or without the gaskets?

When you’ve used it....no pump to case or cover to pump leaks experienced?

With. New pump. I gave the gaskets a thin coating- the stuff is very thin on its own, unlike most gasket goo- and ran a thin bead along the sealing surfaces, then let it set overnight. Next day fired it up and leak was done.
[As pointed out above, I checked all other possible points of leakage above the pump before being certain it was the pump flange at fault].

Nice thing about anaerobic sealant is that any that is not where it's supposed to be gets flushed away by oil so it tends not to cause trouble on its own. I had a problem pump situation and 515 did the trick. It will seal up to a .125 gap.

As much as I like Curil-T for sealing case halves I think 515 would do an even better job, and like Curil disassembly is a snap. Good stuff.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

It if often stated in service manuals to install the oil pump-to-case gasket "dry" but I don't know why, I'm usually a fan of Permetex Aviation (which is not an RTV sealant, which I only like to use for a very few specific applications and this is not one of them)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

The aviation sealer is good stuff. Just a bit messy if it's put on too heavy.

In the case of the oil pump on my engine.
I tried Curil T. I used a dollar store craft paint brush to just color the pump to case gasket, both sides. Did the same for the pump cover gasket.
Not a single drop of oil leaks out of the pump body or the cover.

RTV? Nope, AFAIC it should only be used on cylinder bases. Sparingly!

Anaerobic sealers are good too. I use them on intake manifold to head connections. Once again, use it very sparingly. The nice thing with these sealers is that you can be back in business within hours of application. They cure in the absence of air.

Ray Greenwood would argue some of this information. But, we are not Ray. We don't have access to his measuring toys. So we have to rely on our given skills and experiences to get the desired results.

Good Luck.

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

All cleaned and prepped and ready to install the new pump when it arrives tomorrow. Will probably go with the Permatex Spray Sealant this time.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Now that is clean!

I have never had a problem using Loctite 518 for the oil pump. As a matter of fact I keep some around just for pumps. Put on THIN and you do not have to use gaskets.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

The new Schadek pump with 21mm gears arrived today. As long as I have it apart, I decided to replace the 26mm Schadek pump that was installed when the motor was rebuilt 3,500 miles ago. I think the 26mm pump was overkill for this little 1200 cc motor.

Right out of the box, the height of both gears was dead on with the pump face deck height as checked and confirmed with a straight edge. And, the drive gear tab depth measured .250” when fully inserted into the cam slot 😃

I decided to use Permatex Spray Gasket sealer on both sides of the paper gasket between the pump and case. However, rather than using a sealant between the cover and pump and running the risk of clogging the pressure relief groove in the face of the pump, I decided to simply soak the thinner paper gasket in clean motor oil before installing it between the pump and cover.
Hopefully this works well.

I also trued up the cover’s mating surface with sandpaper, and made sure all scratches were removed and the finished surface is perfectly flat as checked and confirmed with a straight edge.

After applying liberal amounts of assembly lube to the pump gears and cavity, I installed the cover with 4 new sealing nuts torqued to 7 ft. Lbs. to secure everything.

Over the weekend, I’ll torque the few case nuts I had loosened to facilitate the pump removal and installation, and install lthe crank pulley, belt, tins, muffler, etc., fill it with fresh oil, and start it up and check for leaks.

Fingers crossed!

FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

I fininshed reassembly this morning, started it up, and oil is running down the right side of the pump to case seam at idle. Sad Question

Time to tear it down again...this is frustrating!
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pump to case leak Reply with quote

Man that sucks! I’ve never had an issue with pump sealing. I’m wondering if it’s the case surface. That’s really all there is left. I don’t have any good suggestions to check this area for true since it’s assembled and has the studs, but I think there could be something going on there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: