Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'46 Generator?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Alright going to show another strange generator that's probably from the 40's (5C)?
Found it two weeks ago...
As you can see, the marking area looks different than on later generators, but it has 130W power output, thought that was introduced in 49ish?
Yes I know the backing plate and fan don't fit pre 49 engines Very Happy

The casted number on the front plate is also different compared with an 1F generator, but my 44 generator also has another number.

Another thought was that it's a May 51 generator and that the G looks a bit strange. Also bought a 47-48 fan shroud from the seller, so the old men was definitely in contact with that sort of early stuff.

Jan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

It might be factory rebuild and restamped. Looks like there is number 9 under the 3? So it was 90W but updated during rebuild to 130W?

Early fan/plate with slots discountinued late 1947 or early 1948. Maybe at the same time when generator updated from 90W to 130W. As you know the 90W was use only in 1947, before it was also 130W.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
It might be factory rebuild and restamped. Looks like there is number 9 under the 3? So it was 90W but updated during rebuild to 130W?

Early fan/plate with slots discountinued late 1947 or early 1948. Maybe at the same time when generator updated from 90W to 130W. As you know the 90W was use only in 1947, before it was also 130W.

Good eyes Mika, thought the same, but was curious if the distance between RED and 90 was too big, but you might be correct.
Going to put it up for sale as I can't use it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derschar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

hello...looking for info on date codes for my starter...i have a 41 dated generator if anyone wants pics ...it is off the car....the one on my 44 kubel i can not see the stampings too good,,,i have a starter i think is dated 1944 ,,,it looks like a 10 Z code on it...also reads EE004/6L4 and on the part going to the solenoid it reds 371/1 ...is this a 1944 starter or am i missing a code somewhere?
thank you
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Z is 1944 in the Bosch date code listing but I don't know about other codes myself to know if they are correct for 1944.

It might be best to post pics of everything anyway for verification
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

The correct type should be EED 0,4/6 L4

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Did VW make industrial engines back then? No headlights needed, so a lower capacity generator would work fine.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Yes, there were industrial engines that time, but the generator looks like this. An empty core.

New projects
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '46 Generator? Reply with quote

Here's a July 1944 generator housing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2240741

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: