Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Extended front trailing arms or not?!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

I have a mid-travel Chenoweth 4-seater with a VW front beam/coil suspension. It has the stock length trailing arms on it. The setup does "ok" but I really am hoping to get a bit more travel. I contemplated on swapping to a long-travel front end but its just too pricey and very involved (have to cut the frame). So, instead, I though going 4+ on the arms may be enough to keep me satisfied. (Note: I believe the beam is standard length as well).

I have many questions on how to do the conversion since it looks like I may have to extend the steering rods and they might end up hitting the frame (right now has about 4" of clearance). And then there are the coil springs...I assume they must be replaced.

But, I also have questions on whether its worth the time and money. How much better of a ride may I expect? Are there concerns with a it being weaker?

I would be very appreciative to anyone that has some good information on both of these topics. I've read a few forums but I seem to only get very minimal information and I was hoping for some good details from those that have done this upgrade in the past. Some more detailed instructions and/or Do's and Dont's would be awesome.

Here's a pic of what I have.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

Do you have any clearance issues with your tierods with the frame now? You will afterwards.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

Looks like your arms are already longer and wider?
shorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Do you have any clearance issues with your tierods with the frame now? You will afterwards.

I have about 4" clearance on the tie rod to frame right now. I wasnt sure how much it would drop after adding the extended arms and was wondering what others did to resolve it.

Last edited by shorti on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
shorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Looks like your arms are already longer and wider?

I believe they are Tatums so they may be wider, but I did measure the length a long while ago and they were the length of the standard arm...I dont recall off hand the measurement but I think it was something like 7".
Sandbar Norm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

The tierods will be the limiting factor.
On my frame, I went with a 8" over beam and 4"over arms. The arms are 1-3/4" wider. I have about 14" max travel before my tierods hit. I have my stops set for 13" of travel.
Knowing what I do now, with an older frame spacing between the upper and lower rails, I would do 2-1/2" over arms and have the same travel as the 4" arms. The shorter arms could be stronger.
Norm
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

2.25 x 1 tweeds? arms w/8"travel shocks, 6"wider beam at full droop. Tie rods are about 1"above bottom frame tube. The higher the rack gets mounted, the worse the bump steer.

shorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

Is there a good reason to go wider on the beams? They are kinda pricey so would rather not replace it unless it will give me some advantage.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

Wider beams were invented back in the late 70s to make the outside edges of the front and rear tires even. That was so that when driving on 2-track trails, so the tires don't try to climb the sides of the grooves and make the car wander. It has the added benefit of making the front track wider and thus the car more stable in turns and over bumps.

It's not necessary, unless you go with wider rear arms.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shorti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Extended front trailing arms or not?! Reply with quote

Sandbar Norm wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

The tierods will be the limiting factor.
On my frame, I went with a 8" over beam and 4"over arms. The arms are 1-3/4" wider. I have about 14" max travel before my tierods hit. I have my stops set for 13" of travel.
Knowing what I do now, with an older frame spacing between the upper and lower rails, I would do 2-1/2" over arms and have the same travel as the 4" arms. The shorter arms could be stronger.
Norm

Thanks everyone for the info, I think I will go for the 2 1/2" over. I am thinking the 4" over will get me in trouble with the tie rods.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: