Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

color of 67 intake manifold
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

What is the correct color of the intake manifolds for 67 bug. I have a silver one somebody painted but I know this is not right. Also does it have to be heat paint also?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

I don’t know what to tell you. It’s silver but not sure the exact color.
I would use an engine paint because it gets hot in there-just to be safe.
And, oh yeh, it’ll smoke a bit when you start the motor up. The high temp paint always does that for a few minutes.
Now if there’s flames you have a problem!
😂
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

I think it is a grey -- at least the original later manifold on my car had remains of that. I've used a Duplicor DE16 paint which is a high temp Ford Engine Grey and was close enough for me.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

I did the same as bnam. Hi temp Ford Grey. Here is one I painted grey.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2190952

Casey
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

I think it was a gray also, but I painted mine with simple Rustoleum and it's held up fine.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

My very stock, very low mile, original 66 with 1300 motor Bug has a grey manifold. My 61 original owner family Bug that has been mine since 1978 also had a grey manifold on its 1200 motor. (since replaced with a 1600 dp motor from a 73, of which its manifold is grey, showing no signs of repaint.)

My 67 1500 cc motor has a grey manifold, It does not appear to have been repainted. I just went outside and checked its color. I believe it is stock color.

Near as I can tell by observation for what it is worth, originally a grey manifold color was used on my 61, 66, 67 and 73 motors.

I use a high heat paint to reduce risk of paint fail near the head, heat riser tubes, regular paint I found can discolor or fail from this heat over time. A good chemical resistant paint is also important. Fuel leaks or spills when servicing the carb, engine cleaners, carb cleaner, oil, and that occasional spray used for manifold leak testing.

I leave the inside bare, no paint, factory style. when you store manifolds, spray in oil to prevent rust. dont run an internally rusty manifold if it is risk of flaking, rust may shed and cause engine wear. I have cleaned them up with use of a media blaster when badly rusted.

Bug On, Correctly Painted!

PS I describe the grey as medium, maybe a a tab bit darker than battleship grey . It is not a light grey, and it is not extremely dark either. For what ever my crummy description is worth.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

Medium flat grey

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

Ghettoman wrote:
What is the correct color of the intake manifolds for 67 bug. I have a silver one somebody painted but I know this is not right. Also does it have to be heat paint also?

'67 is the same as here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2196810
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: color of 67 intake manifold Reply with quote

As long as the intake manifold paint is in the middle grey range, no biggie. '67 purists are more concerned about the correctness of other bits, if that's your concern or goal to be spot on correct in a '67 restoration. Typically, it's EVERYWHERE else a so-called "restoration" falls apart Laughing

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: