Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my engine toast?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine toast? Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
Thanks for all the help! Its amazing how great the vw community is!

So i put in an oil temp gauge yesterday. Took her for a little cruise after like a 10 min drive up a hill she just got to 180. (hoping on a longer drive she does not climb over 220)

I checked my timing again and it seemed a bit high. 40* at 3,000 rpm. I am now running about 28* at 3,000. Do i need to disconnect vacuum lines to time properly? (we did not do this)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think she should hopefully stay cool. It runs great right now. Very excited. Still leaks some oil despite our search and fix of the main seal oil cooler and a few other things.

I did just switch over to a 20w50 with high zinc that my local vw shop recommended.

I am also now running premium fuel.

I do have a question about an oil leak. I replaced the rubber end on my oil breather because the old one was cracked but it is still leaking just the same. The rubber is snug and not cracked. Is the oil climbing the metal and getting above the rubber boot? Is anyone else having this problem?

The Rubber end on the breather? What This? Breather Down Pipe Rubber. Here is a thread about it Down Pipe Rubber Valve, It won't stop oil leaking out of the downpipe. Oil breathers also get small holes under the fill and they sometimes crack and need replacement. Also, the engine may have a little blow by. If it does not drip enough to drip a spot on a concrete garage floor I would not worry about it.

I use premium in my bus but I have 8.5:1 or maybe a little more CR. It behaves better when the engine is hot and also helps my MPG's a little.

Yeah, I run 0W40 motor oil but it's cooler here. The main reason not to run too heavy of oil is the high oil pressure it builds on a cold morning. So give it time to warm up a bit before revving the engine much. 20 W 50 is good above 90' Fahrenheit and it stays in a leaky engine better. I would avoid 20 W 50 though if your engine has an increased oil pressure oil pump like 26-30mm or larger But again just let it warm up a little.

Glad to hear it's running cooler, that 40' on the 009 for sure would heat one up real hot. Just 30' is right. They climb hills a little better at 29' but they Cruze 65 mph on the flat a little nicer advanced to 32's, My engine runs a little hotter though at 32' with the 009 some may run cooler.

Mine:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine toast? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!

Just took old daisy for a 40min drive on the highway at about 55mph. Its hot out today around 100 degrees, thew oil temp sat around 220 on the last half of the drive. I think seems normal. What do you guys think?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my engine toast? Reply with quote

you are fine. If you have a pressure gauge it should have been reading somewhere around 40 - 45 PSI. If you lack a gauge then if the oil light is off at idle after that or just lightly flickers after that at idle you are fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: