Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coolant bleed question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

Just replaced the leaking, cracked, plastic coolant flange on the passenger side with a bus depot stainless steel one. Engine was cold. Lots (gallon plus) of coolant came out. I have refilled it. Do I need to bleed the coolant system since I assume the thermostat should have stayed closed and kept most of it up front? Helped do it once before, so no drama but I would of course rather not. Any thoughts?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

I would. Get van nice and hot. Crack open bleed screw on the radiator. Let air out. Easy to do.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

Too late for this time - but when I do something that will result in significant coolant loss I try to catch & measure the loss. Comparing what I add to what was lost gives me a pretty good idea on how much air was introduced and if a proper bleed is needed.
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

Opened up the front radiator bleed screw when hot, front end up. A bit of air bubbles then a slow stream. Then nothing. Running okay, got the fan to come on, really loud... Never like that before. Then the oil light started blinking. Plenty of oil. Got home and let it sit. Started up again and no blinking. Another test drive to pick up a pizza for dinner, so we shall see. Coolant flange is doing great. If it is not one thing, its another. Thanks for the suggestions.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

ChrisandGabrielle wrote:
If it is not one thing, its another.

Yes, yes it is Laughing

Are you sure it was the oil light and not the coolant light? The oil light indicates oil PRESSURE which can be independent of oil LEVEL. So, that could actually be something bad about to happen.
ChrisandGabrielle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant bleed question Reply with quote

Definitely the oil light, blinking but no buzzing noise. Just did the heads, exhaust, pistons, jugs, water pump, etc, etc... Just drove 20 miles and no light. Tomorrows the real test, northern NH to NW Connecticut. Triple AAA Premier and the 200 mile tow have saved us before. Lets hope we don't need it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: