Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Hi everybody.
We are moving from Spain to Colorado in a few months to work there for a few years and we would like to take our van with us (VW T4 California syncro year 2000).
Is that possible?
Should anybody tell me about the process of registration?
Thanks in advance.
Manu.-

Pdta: You can take a look at our van in Instagram. Loof for Syncrohulk
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

You can bring it in for one year as a visitor, but then it has to leave.

To actually import it requires crash testing, unless your exact chassis was sold in the US. I believe the T4 chassis was sold through 2003 model year here.

I wonder if you could take it to Canada or Mexico and then bring it back for a new visit one month later?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

You won't be able to legally register this in the USA. It's simply too new. 25 years and older is the requirement. Here in Canada it's 15 years so that is legal to import here.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

My guess is that it would sell fairly easily in Canada, as well. That's a highly desirable vehicle.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
evinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

The 25 years applies to exemption from U.S. Dept. of Transportation safety standards. Not sure how hard they are to get, but for vehicles newer than 25 years, it appears that a letter from the manufacturer certifying that the vehicle meets U.S. safety standards will suffice.

There's a separate exemption from U.S. emissions standards that applies to vehicles that are at least 21 years old. For vehicles newer than that, you would have to have the engine modified to meet emission standards, and I think there are a limited number of importers certified to do this and it's expensive.

As someone else noted, there's a provision allowing for one year importation for non-residents, with a requirement of export after one year.

Not sure if you could get a letter from VW regarding safety standards, but if you could, depending on when you arrive in the U.S. you could be right on the edge of the vehicle being 21 years old at the end of the one year non-resident import period. Not sure if that was the case if you could then claim the emission exemption instead of having to export the vehicle back.

Go to these links for more info:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~...rsonal-use

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/P10081IS.PDF?Dockey=P10081IS.PDF
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if you could get a letter from VW regarding safety standards,

I bet extracting hen's teeth is easier than extracting this letter.
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Thank you so much.
I apreciate your answers.
I think the best way (and probably the only one) will be the exception of "one year as a visitor". żAnybody knows how much time the van must stay outside US if we need another year? We plain to stay in Colorado from 1 to 3 years.
Thanks again.
Manu.-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Manu,

Do you or your wife have US citizenship? I know from an Italian friend with an American wife, the US Customs wouldn't allow a "tourist" license on their T4. They were given 72 hours to exit the USA with proof. The came in to Canada and toured around here. Canada Customs had no issue. Once they hit the US border, they had a different experience.

From 3rd party experience on another visa license. Customs will require a substantial bond for the duration the vehicle is in the country, up to a maximum of 365. Go 366 and you lose your deposit and open a can of worms.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

The T4 was sold in the US into 2003 so your 2000 has a shot of being allowed in passing safety regs. Unfortunately this is one of those times you could research this and then get a different story on entry.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Furgoman_u wrote:
Thank you so much.
I apreciate your answers.
I think the best way (and probably the only one) will be the exception of "one year as a visitor". żAnybody knows how much time the van must stay outside US if we need another year? We plain to stay in Colorado from 1 to 3 years.
Thanks again.
Manu.-

There are no exceptions nor extensions to the one year temp import rule. I would not count on being able to bring it back.

the CBP site, by the way, says that unless the car has a US conforming sticker attached it has to be imported as non-conforming. The letter approach above is excluded. YMMV

Dont think of trying to play games with these guys. This can be the result

[youtube]https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/video-gallery/video-library/cbp-destroys-land-rover-defender[/youtube]
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Hi everybody and thanks so much for your help.
Finally, we have achieve the EPA one year exemption and we will take the van with us to Denver. Next year we'll decide if sending back the van to Spain or to sell it in Canada.
Unfortunately, it seems very clear that we can't import the van to the US.
See you on the road
Manu.-

Pdta: I will ask a lot here in the forum about how do you find spots for parking and more information to survive in North America. Smile
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Manu,

Do you or your wife have US citizenship? I know from an Italian friend with an American wife, the US Customs wouldn't allow a "tourist" license on their T4. They were given 72 hours to exit the USA with proof. The came in to Canada and toured around here. Canada Customs had no issue. Once they hit the US border, they had a different experience.

From 3rd party experience on another visa license. Customs will require a substantial bond for the duration the vehicle is in the country, up to a maximum of 365. Go 366 and you lose your deposit and open a can of worms.

Hi, CdnVWJunkie
I can't find any information about the "bond" you talk. Could you please tell more about that?
Both of us are spanish. My wife is a teacher and she is going to work in Denver in an exchange program.
Thanks in advance!
Manu.-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Furgoman_u wrote:
CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Manu,

Hi, CdnVWJunkie
I can't find any information about the "bond" you talk. Could you please tell more about that?
Both of us are spanish. My wife is a teacher and she is going to work in Denver in an exchange program.
Thanks in advance!
Manu.-

When the vehicle actually "lands" on US soil and you will be requested to give a monetary deposit, or bond as security. From people I know who have been through the process the actual $ value seems to be arbitrary.
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

Hi, everybody.
We are yet in Denver. Everything was very easy. We pick up the van in Baltimore and drive it through the country by secondary roads to Denver. We'd enjoy a lot traveling with our little house on wheels.
We'd seen only three vw vans (vanagons) until Denver. Here there is many vw vans including eurovan model. The people ask us a lot about the van, because it is not very common here apparently.
We are loving the experience and we are very happy to have done it.
Thanks so much for your help.
See you on the roads!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Registration process for a VW T4/Eurovan California Syncro 2000 Reply with quote

So glad you are enjoying our country, you'll love Colorado.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: