Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

bretthale wrote:
Hi all! Picking up a '75 Orange Westy in a week or two. Very excited! It's a standard, not deluxe.

Anyone remove the cabinets (sink and stove) and install a rear facing jumpseat behind the driver seat? I've owned a bunch of Eurovan weekenders and basically trying to re-create a similar layout.

On that note anyone looking for cabinets? Smile

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is a NICE bus... and in CT too!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

You gona get some grief for taking a nice OG 75 and doing that. So be ready Wink

Do you want to do it like this?

Or like this?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bretthale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Yeah, knew I was going to get some grief. Haha. I haven't decided 100% YET. But close.

Open to seat type, but want one behind driver seat and leaving the one behind passenger open.

Myself, wife, 3, 4 and 5 year old could use the space Smile

Thanks!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You gona get some grief for taking a nice OG 75 and doing that. So be ready Wink

Do you want to do it like this?

Uhm... factory? That looks really well done.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505353&highlight=

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

I’ll be the punk...
When the time comes to part ways with your beloved ‘75, the new owner is going to haggle you on not having the cabinetry. Even if you remove for your desired layout, dry storing those items may be beneficial in the future.
My two cents.
Owning a 74 Orange as well, I personally enjoy the fridge/stove cabinet removed for easier access in and out of the bus, but it does make a nice pantry since the fridge quit. Also use it for a step/hand getting up in the top bed at times.

Decisions, decisions.
Congrats on the bus, looks to be a nice rig.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505353&highlight=

Wicked! That seriously looks great!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
I’ll be the punk...
When the time comes to part ways with your beloved ‘75, the new owner is going to haggle you on not having the cabinetry. Even if you remove for your desired layout, dry storing those items may be beneficial in the future.
My two cents.
Owning a 74 Orange as well, I personally enjoy the fridge/stove cabinet removed for easier access in and out of the bus, but it does make a nice pantry since the fridge quit. Also use it for a step/hand getting up in the top bed at times.

Decisions, decisions.
Congrats on the bus, looks to be a nice rig.

Original poster - even though your bus is not 100% OG perfection, its pretty close. And the words above by Sambo ring true. Better to alter with the intent to preserve than to sell of what you have. Wink

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

People have raved over my stock restoration.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
bretthale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

My sincere thanks to everyone for their help! Awesome tips.

I picked her up Saturday and my wife is insistent on getting more room in there so I'm going to take the cabinets out put them in storage. Probably put them back in down road.

Let the hunt for a jump seat begin!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

bretthale wrote:
My sincere thanks to everyone for their help! Awesome tips.

I picked her up Saturday and my wife is insistent on getting more room in there so I'm going to take the cabinets out put them in storage. Probably put them back in down road.

Let the hunt for a jump seat begin!

Please be careful removing and storing the cabinets, it's super easy to chip or peel the laminate along the bottom edge while moving or putting them down, no need to make work later.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bretthale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy! I will do just that and be extra cautious.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

When I bought my 75 Campmobile the PO said he always kept the fridge cabinet in storage too. I keep it where it belongs. Sure I always envy the later Westys how much more room there is and especially the swivel seat. But the cabinet on the other hand hold quite a bit of stuff so we love it. And then there is the wonderful full size bed Smile
bretthale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

OK, so I've spent probably almost 2 hours googling and searching Samba for a table. The one I bought doesn't have one at all. I'm looking for the kind that pivot's out from the wall and has the leg built in and folds in with it. I can't find one anywhere ... am also very happy to make one.

Any ideas? Thanks!

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

bretthale wrote:
OK, so I've spent probably almost 2 hours googling and searching Samba for a table. The one I bought doesn't have one at all. I'm looking for the kind that pivot's out from the wall and has the leg built in and folds in with it. I can't find one anywhere ... am also very happy to make one.

Any ideas? Thanks!

[img]pic[/img]

You must have missed this one: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2166900

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bretthale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Busdaddy - thank you very much. I must have missed it - honestly. I did search the classifieds (the bay window parts section).

I try very hard to search prior and not put the work onto someone else to find stuff so I really appreciate the help!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Get it while its hot!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1960380

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
buttonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hi! This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right - recently purchased a 1974 Westfalia Deluxe from LA, CA.

It is missing the back/trunk pad. Are there any aftermarket replacements or patterns in the orange plaid? I am going to try to use Tempur-pedic bed topper material with the plaid cover.

Any help would be appreciated! I know this thread hasn't had much activity in a while. Popcorn

Nick
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Welcome! Not that I know of. But you can get a used one from time to time-

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1706416

And the material is available new.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/material-fabric/37...per-meter-

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

buttonn wrote:
Hi! This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right - recently purchased a 1974 Westfalia Deluxe from LA, CA.

It is missing the back/trunk pad. Are there any aftermarket replacements or patterns in the orange plaid? I am going to try to use Tempur-pedic bed topper material with the plaid cover.

Any help would be appreciated! I know this thread hasn't had much activity in a while. Popcorn

Nick

I did something very similar with my 75. The original fabric and foam was in poor shape, for multiple reasons, and I purchased new foam and fabric and reupholstered the bench seat and had a friend help me make a new cushion for over the engine. I've always kind of meant to do a write up here...

All the foam I used was memory foam, and 1" thicker than what was originally used. I think that's about the most you can do, because at a certain point it would interfere with the closing of the bench seat. The additional inch required me to adjust the seat belt lengths, so I probably wouldn't go much thicker. Note that the cushion over the engine is thinner, so you'll need to account for that accordingly to make it all come out the same height.

I bought the foam online from a place that cuts whatever foam to length you wand and ships it. I have the name around here somewhere and will try to find it and post. It was a very good experience, and they cut very precisely. I could probably have avoided any cutting at all myself if I had trusted them more.

I can say that it drastically improved the comfort of the bed and looks great. I'll post some pictures for you soon. I should also have some measurements, or I can measure my cushion for you. I had help making the back cushion because it's a weird size.

You might also find one in the classifieds.

-Ben
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: