Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

rty1138 wrote:
added a solar shower!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That shower looks nice but it looks like it's held on with just a bunch of zip ties - if that's the case that might be fine when it is empty but if filled with water and driving down the road, especially on a corner, it might come undone and be a hazard to someone behind - just sayin.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I don't know about the OP's set up ( can't see the picture on this device), but my 4 gallon homebrew solar shower is hung from zipties that are rated for 120 lbs each, 2 ties each bar, opposed front to back, going through an old bike mount clamped to the bar. I'm not going to pretend that 4x120 means I can carry 480 pounds with zip ties on my roof bars, but...

4 gallons of water weighs 33.36 pounds, the whole set-up can't weigh more than 50. It is rock solid, can't make it move front to back, up or down, no matter how hard I try. Yes, I inspect the zip ties regularly for damage and keep 2 extra in the van.

I'm sure it could be better, but I see nothing wrong with zip ties properly used and maintained. I'm open to feedback, though- don't want to be a hazard.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I don't know about the OP's set up ( can't see the picture on this device), but my 4 gallon homebrew solar shower is hung from zipties that are rated for 120 lbs each, 2 ties each bar, opposed front to back, going through an old bike mount clamped to the bar. I'm not going to pretend that 4x120 means I can carry 480 pounds with zip ties on my roof bars, but...

4 gallons of water weighs 33.36 pounds, the whole set-up can't weigh more than 50. It is rock solid, can't make it move front to back, up or down, no matter how hard I try. Yes, I inspect the zip ties regularly for damage and keep 2 extra in the van.

I'm sure it could be better, but I see nothing wrong with zip ties properly used and maintained. I'm open to feedback, though- don't want to be a hazard.

First off, the 'ratings' on zip ties aren't subject to any government regulation and are therefore not to be trusted. They are merely part of the sales copy.

A real engineer could probably explain this better but that 50 lb load is multiplied many times when accelerated, whether in an upward, downward or lateral direction.

Finally, plastic zip ties will chafe and break. Why not replace them with stainless steel band clamps (hose clamps) from the plumbing section of your local lumberyard?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

First off, the 'ratings' on zip ties aren't subject to any government regulation and are therefore not to be trusted. They are merely part of the sales copy.

A real engineer could probably explain this better but that 50 lb load is multiplied many times when accelerated, whether in an upward, downward or lateral direction.

Finally, plastic zip ties will chafe and break. Why not replace them with stainless steel band clamps (hose clamps) from the plumbing section of your local lumberyard?

Yeah, I've thought about all that but it just hasn't moved- I can pull myself up on it, etc. But you're also right, I've additionally been worried about the plastic zipties invisibly degrading from UV exposure. I had the zip ties so tried them, but have considered switching to the band clamps, gonna have to do it now, safety first!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FWIW: https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2016/03/not-...-projects/

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FWIW: https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2016/03/not-...-projects/

Yep. My 'UV-rated' cable ties last a year at the most out in the sun (doing various jobs in the garden and yes, on the van roof bars). I'd be OK with using them for that solar shower, but I *would* change them at least once a year, if not sooner.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You could paint some plumbers tape black and cinch it up and be good to go forever.
s
yew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the GW 3pt seatbelt on passenger's side of our new (to us) Adventurewagen. Ironically I realized (late) that the passenger side on the AW is a bit more effort than the driver's side due to having to move the receiver which is in the middle as oppose to against the wall on these. That plus having the aux battery sitting directly underneath the seat belt bolts made the process a bit slower than otherwise. Still, went smoothly. Now the kid can ride Smile

This thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188800&highlight=point+belt was a huge help and confidence builder (taking a knife to the interior is a bit freaky).

oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished a couple day project of installing Pioneer 4" speakers in the rear to replace the stock ones that were distorting. Hardest part of all of it was dealing with the bracket bolts whose nuts weren't moving all that well - finally just went to Lowe's and bought new carriage bolts and nuts that treaded easily and replaced most of them - cabinet went back up like a charm. I have some mediocre but serviceable after market head unit (CD player plus Aux input, even has Bluetooth I think) (JVC?) along with Pioneer 4" speakers one of the POs put into the front doors. speaker wires were already run to the back and I just pulled the head to confirm which strand was the ground for each rear speaker. I also installed Boom Mat baffles behind the speakers in the rear - they are cheap, protect the speakers from crap in those cabinets sliding around and supposedly help push the sound out instead of it getting lost back there. Sounds nice now with four good speakers! Time to put some more music on my phone-
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got gary lee's rack in today. Idiot proof install. The rack comes with all the nuts and bolts partially assembled in place. The most time-consuming part was getting it dead center on the hatch but that took only a few minutes. Its the full-width rack with a ladder on each side and center only fold down shelf.
Really happy with the product. I will probably put a shovel, axe, a jerry can or two of water and either a cooler or tough box on the shelf.

Even adds pvc to support the hatch

OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Old man neighbor backed up into me so now she sits at the body shop, sad day.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dang, that sucks. Worse that it is your neighbor. Even worse that hes old. Hard to get mad. How fast was he going? Trying to gauge the amount of damage for the speed. I wonder if a steel bumper would have caused less body damage.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ouch. Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Dang, that sucks. Worse that it is your neighbor. Even worse that hes old. Hard to get mad. How fast was he going? Trying to gauge the amount of damage for the speed. I wonder if a steel bumper would have caused less body damage.

I was told if I had been running the steel bumpers that more damage may have occurred possibly with the two mounting brackets, the housing and possibly more damage to the body since the bumper would of most likely been pushed into the body.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the failing Andersen Powerpole connectors with MC4s to get more reliable solar power to my house battery. I'll offer the disused stuff (the weatherproof connection port and pigtail w AWG10 wire) in the karma thread. Replaced the old flue vent to fill the hole.

In hindsight a permanent connection would have made more sense but that was delayed until the roof was painted and I installed a panel there and I am not sure that will ever happen. I don't think the PowerPoles were up to being disconnected/reconnected so often. MC4s are bulkier and not as easy to connect but maybe they will be more durable over time.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the failing Andersen Powerpole connectors with MC4s to get more reliable solar power to my house battery. I'll offer the disused stuff (the weatherproof connection port and pigtail w AWG10 wire) in the karma thread. Replaced the old flue vent to fill the hole (this is what I had instead).

In hindsight a permanent connection would have made more sense but that was delayed until the roof was painted and I installed a panel there and I am not sure that will ever happen. I don't think the PowerPoles were up to being disconnected/reconnected so often. MC4s are bulkier and not as easy to connect but maybe they will be more durable over time.

Just checked on the health of the two batteries and both are at 12.75V with the ACR registering that it is seeing 13.5V inbound. So the new wiring is doing what I hoped.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced front rotors, wheel bearings, and calipers on BOB to earn my Front Brake Job and Wheel Bearing Replacement merit badge.
Rotors and bearings (inner- SKF, outer - FAG) from Van Cafe. Rebuilt Girling calipers from Bus Depot. The originals (83.5 WBX) were Girling, so I went with them rather than mess with re-configuring the hard lines (mine has the stupid brackets). All-in-all a messy, but fairly straight forward job thanks to the awesome knowledge bank that is The Samba.

The front brakes had been intermittently squealing forever and I had a set of ATE pads on hand thinking to replace them at some point. I checked a couple of months ago (the passenger side, of course) and they still had a lot of meat left on them so I had deferred the task. They suddenly started squeaking a bit when turning (I was thinking bushings or something) and within just a few miles I heard that horrible metal-on-metal sound. The brakes had been working fine up until then. Fortunately I was actually stopping to back in to the driveway when they failed. FWIW - this is partly why I drive BOB around a lot for errands etc. - better to fail near home than on the road. Lesson learned - don't put off a thorough check (both sides) if you even suspect anything is going on with your brakes!

The driver's side outer pad had worn completely away and scored the rotor badly. The passenger side looked pretty good, but both were missing the Girling-style spring clips. One piston looked like it was stuck all the way in and the opposite pad was completely gone. The calipers and pistons were both in pretty rough shape. I figured it was beyond my skill level to rebuild them given the condition and I found some reasonably priced rebuilt Girlings at Bus Depot. They look brand new to me. The old bearings looked OK but I decided to go ahead and replace them while I had them out. Very satisfied so far.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
WonderinMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just was able to do a bunch of little jobs that needed to be done and we're building up over time, i.e. Lightbulb replacement in dash/map light, horn issues, and the bigger job, running a signal wire fro, the ignition coil to the instrument cluster in prep of the tachometer retrofit with a later tach and GW Pcb kit next weekend.

Found some larger issues transaxle/axle boots busted in the rear Sad those will be getting attention sooner than later :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my Aux battery after it died from poor charging discipline. I hope this has been fixed by replacing Andersen PowerPole connectors with MC4 connectors. I am not sure it has been getting a good charge through those and the mechanical connection/latch was starting to fail.

Installed the Digital Display Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt so I can keep an eye on things at a glance…as long as I am prepared to look under the bench for that glance.

It looks pretty barnyard and I think some changes will need to be made to tidy it up and make sure nothing gets pulled loose. But it works and that's what I was after. The meter itself is attached with Velcro ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ which is what I found recommended. Seems like some kind of mounting box or frame could be easily done. But whatever. I'll see how it goes, if I learn anything from it. It does respond to loads: if I turn lights on and off, I can see that reflected in the meter.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

installed Lasercut vent cover for deleted A/C plenum

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 479, 480, 481 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 480 of 629

Jump to: