Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nagging oil leak
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

I believe I have finally found the nagging oil leak that has eluded me for a long time. I poured a bottle of UV dye in the last oil change, washed it clean and ran it on ramps looking with a black light and, sure as shit, something I thought impossible: the gallery plug above the filter adapter is the culprit. All gallery plugs were tapped for hex plugs at rebuild. I used Locktite 512 on all of the gallery plugs.

Question is: Can I get to that plug by pulling the shroud, oil cooler and filter adapter, and when I do pull it, what should I do, get another plug or just clean that one up and replace it with some more 512? Since the 512 didn’t seem to work the first time, maybe there’s something better. In the past I used Indian Head.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

Is that plug a 1/4 NPT? If so, then I was just looking at one a couple weeks back when I installed a filter adapter. It lives just above and to get to it you might be able to go in with a long nozzle an spooge some sealant over the top without removing anything. To remove the oil filter adapter you’ll need to remove a lot of stuff first
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

there is one up there which is almost impossible to get to even with the case stripped as I recall. make sure that the oil sender isn't fooling you because that is about where the drip will come down the case.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

Good call Steve
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

Not the OP sender. I have a remote OP sender setup. (Good one) No leaks from there. Using the black light and dye, the highest oil is that plug. It drops down into the air stream and gets splattered on the support bar, oil filter, OP reg. valve, header, muffler, and the whole back of the freaking bus.

I was so sure last year that it was the filter adapter gasket. Made a gasket from gasket material and 518. I removed the shroud and converted it to bolt on. At the same time I renewed the seal at the op sender even though it was dry.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

Lil Lulu wrote:
At the same time I renewed the seal at the op sender even though it was dry.

The Type 4 should have a tapered thread for the oil pressure switch instead of a sealing ring as per a Type 1. It is possible for the metal to crack around the hole for the oil pressure sender as well.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

This might help

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Nagging oil leak Reply with quote

Sure does help. That plug next to the top stud on the adapter boss. I suppose if I’m in there, I might as well remove and doctor all I can reach.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: