Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Bullet turn signals and narrow hatch make it built between 55 and 61. That makes it more desirable for it being earlier. But a window cut in panel makes it the lowest value range for one that early.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:
A daily driver double cab for $9k seems like a good deal to me, yes it needs rust repair but it could be done gradually.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2201835

hell yeah.

Sheesh. Bet it's gone by morn.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:

Whats special about the bullets? And what is a narrow hatch? Sorry for dumb questions, trying to learn Smile

since you know what the rear hatch of a bay window bus looks like, you can probably tell that the rear hatch on a bullet blinker bus is much narrower, hence the name

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

I'm sure a deposit already taken Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:
A daily driver double cab for $9k seems like a good deal to me, yes it needs rust repair but it could be done gradually.

hell yeah.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Thats a whole lot of double for so little dough!!! There is just so much to work with and with rear seat gates to boot. If I had the cash I'd score that one for sure!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

hell yeah

I don't get why that's a good price?

The rear gate is held together with peforated metal strip and the side gate frames look patched. There's daylight visible between the bed and rear cab panel. Lower rear corners are gone. LH dogleg is gone. Looks like the seal channel on the RH dogleg has rusted through. Sills/rockers are gone on both sides. Plywood on the rear cabin floor suggests that's gone too, which means most likely the top hat members under there are gone (and the front cab floor is probably lacework).

That's going to cost a fortune in metal and time to fix. And I'd want to see the state of the frame given the suspect rear cabin floor.

9K just seems high for a collinder.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

hell yeah

The rear gate is held together with peforated metal strip and the side gate frames look patched. There's daylight visible between the bed and rear cab panel. Lower rear corners are gone. LH dogleg is gone. Looks like the seal channel on the RH dogleg has rusted through. Sills/rockers are gone on both sides. Plywood on the rear cabin floor suggests that's gone too, which means most likely the top hat members under there are gone (and the front cab floor is probably lacework).

That's going to cost a fortune in metal and time to fix. And I'd want to see the state of the frame given the suspect rear cabin floor.

9K just seems high for a collinder[sic].

I like your closing statement - and why I would say this is a fair price but with the caveat that it may not be, if there were better pictures of the framework. Given your layout, there are certainly some areas that will need a lot of attention and others minor repairs. It's the outriggers, cross members, inner rockers, etc. that probably are worse off.

Still, 9 grand in today's market is pretty good, but the condition is still far from "good."

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

Lots of views but still there. What's up with the front mat on the passenger side?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Lots of views but still there. What's up with the front mat on the passenger side?

Probably been looked at and passed on because it's too roached as a previous poster pointed out.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

hell yeah

I agree with you to a certain extent. It is probably not a good bus to restore, because it will be expensive to do all the metal replacement correctly. But if you have no plans on restoring it and just want an original beater to drive, enjoy and not worry about if it gets dents in it I think it is great. You should see the state of some of the buses that people drive as-is to VW shows in CA and have no intention of ever restoring. If you want to restore a double cab or want a perfect one you are much better off by buying a solid desert bus or one that someone else has already done the metal repairs.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
How bad is too bad? lol

I was driving back from a rodeo this weekend and found a 1960-62 bus at a small town auto body/repair/tires/gas station/pet store/deli shop. The 2 guys in the shop were very vocal about NOT wanting to work on it. They said "some lady in the hills bought it and brought it to us. She wants us to make it a 20 window van thing. We don wanna." They mentioned she was wanting to sell it but I'm having issues trying to get in touch with her.

A wise man once said not to post photos or locations until its signed sealed and delivered. So pardon me from posting pics, youll just have to use your imagination.

It doesnt have front dog legs at all. They look cut off for plans of repair. The rear lower quarters were rusted through and no metal in the battery tray area. The front, sides, engine lid and other body panels are in actually decent condition. LOTS of house paint that someone took a sanding disc to in hopes to remove it fast. The inside was half filled with random body parts. Some new stuff and it looked like the bumpers and an old piece to do patch work of some sort. It has an engine and trans, no seats, and windows on the side doors were covered with cardboard. The dash was intact and the steering wheels was a really decent white color, not a lot of damage or rust.

Sight unseen, what would you all suggest as an offer when I talk to this lady? Ive been throwing around the $1000 range if she doesnt tell me what she wants.

There is still not near enough info to give an estimate off of. What is the model? 15 window, standard, kombi, panel? To me a 60 or 61 is worth more than a 62. Depending on all that, that will show us how much of a low ball offer that is. Laughing

Im new to the split side of things. And to be honest, Im still fairly new to the baywindow side of things too! I believe its a panel. It has 2 doors on the passanger side, and wind-out windows on the driver side. Someone replaced the handles with door knobs, and the front turn signals are the ones that stick out. Bullets? Cant remember what they are called... The rear quarters have some dings and were filled really badly with bondo at some point. The rear hatch doors are in great condition. Roof is also OG paint and no rust. I thought that was pretty awesome because my bay looks like the bottom of a burned casserole dish lol

So $1000 is a low ball huh... thanks Barrett Jackson Rolling Eyes

If the old lady that owns it has kept up at all with the prices of these, you may piss her off and totally lose your chance at buying it. But if it is a panel with hacked in windows from a camper conversion with no camper interior. That is the lowest priced busses out there. But it having an engine, trans and being a bullet narrow hatch bus, by what you describe should bring more than $2000. Look in the classifieds here I doubt there is a rolling shell any year /model with no motor for less than that.

She laughed at $1000. I quote...

"You need to come up to $15,000. Ive seen the TV. I know what theyre worth. If you can find a 20 window van for $1000 youre a better dealer than I am."

I said, "Well dont get offended but 1. Thats not a 21 window bus, its a base model panel bus with a bunch of holes cut in the body for RV windows. 2. Its a 6v system which will need changed to a 12v system. If not you'll have major electrical problems, if not a fire. 3. The metal to convert it to a 21w is $5,000 alone, not including the labor to have that auto body shop install it."

And the search continues.... (for the last vehicle I'd ever like to buy)
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
How bad is too bad? lol

I was driving back from a rodeo this weekend and found a 1960-62 bus at a small town auto body/repair/tires/gas station/pet store/deli shop. The 2 guys in the shop were very vocal about NOT wanting to work on it. They said "some lady in the hills bought it and brought it to us. She wants us to make it a 20 window van thing. We don wanna." They mentioned she was wanting to sell it but I'm having issues trying to get in touch with her.

A wise man once said not to post photos or locations until its signed sealed and delivered. So pardon me from posting pics, youll just have to use your imagination.

It doesnt have front dog legs at all. They look cut off for plans of repair. The rear lower quarters were rusted through and no metal in the battery tray area. The front, sides, engine lid and other body panels are in actually decent condition. LOTS of house paint that someone took a sanding disc to in hopes to remove it fast. The inside was half filled with random body parts. Some new stuff and it looked like the bumpers and an old piece to do patch work of some sort. It has an engine and trans, no seats, and windows on the side doors were covered with cardboard. The dash was intact and the steering wheels was a really decent white color, not a lot of damage or rust.

Sight unseen, what would you all suggest as an offer when I talk to this lady? Ive been throwing around the $1000 range if she doesnt tell me what she wants.

There is still not near enough info to give an estimate off of. What is the model? 15 window, standard, kombi, panel? To me a 60 or 61 is worth more than a 62. Depending on all that, that will show us how much of a low ball offer that is. Laughing

Im new to the split side of things. And to be honest, Im still fairly new to the baywindow side of things too! I believe its a panel. It has 2 doors on the passanger side, and wind-out windows on the driver side. Someone replaced the handles with door knobs, and the front turn signals are the ones that stick out. Bullets? Cant remember what they are called... The rear quarters have some dings and were filled really badly with bondo at some point. The rear hatch doors are in great condition. Roof is also OG paint and no rust. I thought that was pretty awesome because my bay looks like the bottom of a burned casserole dish lol

If the old lady that owns it has kept up at all with the prices of these, you may piss her off and totally lose your chance at buying it. But if it is a panel with hacked in windows from a camper conversion with no camper interior. That is the lowest priced busses out there. But it having an engine, trans and being a bullet narrow hatch bus, by what you describe should bring more than $2000. Look in the classifieds here I doubt there is a rolling shell any year /model with no motor for less than that.

"You need to come up to $15,000. Ive seen the TV. I know what theyre worth. If you can find a 20 window van for $1000 youre a better dealer than I am."

I said, "Well dont get offended but 1. Thats not a 21 window bus, its a base model panel bus with a bunch of holes cut in the body for RV windows. 2. Its a 6v system which will need changed to a 12v system. If not you'll have major electrical problems, if not a fire. 3. The metal to convert it to a 21w is $5,000 alone, not including the labor to have that auto body shop install it."

Leave her your number, keep her number in your stuff, and forget about it for 3 months. Call her back if you don't hear from her and try one more time. If not then, forget about it completely.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
The Dubbernaut wrote:
How bad is too bad? lol

Leave her your number, keep her number in your stuff, and forget about it for 3 months. Call her back if you don't hear from her and try one more time. If not then, forget about it completely.

lol from the sounds of it, 3 months is pushing it Very Happy My guess is menthol's for the past century.
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

The Dubbernaut wrote:

lol from the sounds of it, 3 months is pushing it Very Happy My guess is menthol's for the past century.

Shocked Very Happy Give it 6 weeks then.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Now you could post pics.
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Now you could post pics.

The only one I have that doesn’t give away location lol Smile

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

It appears to be missing some metal.
$15K is crazy for that, maybe if it was a 23-Window.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

And sold!

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Skim wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

hell yeah

I agree with you to a certain extent. It is probably not a good bus to restore, because it will be expensive to do all the metal replacement correctly. But if you have no plans on restoring it and just want an original beater to drive, enjoy and not worry about if it gets dents in it I think it is great. You should see the state of some of the buses that people drive as-is to VW shows in CA and have no intention of ever restoring. If you want to restore a double cab or want a perfect one you are much better off by buying a solid desert bus or one that someone else has already done the metal repairs.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

its a 1960 and it sat near me for many many years, I knew the old fella owner before he passed away somewhat recently. It was listed for sale on craiglist and I think even the samba for too much ($8500-6500 ish) and never sold.

it was ruuuusty hence all the metal that has been cut off.

not worth diddly squat really, let alone 15k.

The Dubbernaut wrote:
BarryL wrote:
Now you could post pics.

The only one I have that doesn’t give away location lol Smile

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

Sled - Wasn't that panel from just north of OMAK and used as a roadside sign with rainbow shitty paint job. I looked at it 10-12 years ago and It was not worth the effort back then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 433, 434, 435 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Page 434 of 509

Jump to: