Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

This topic has been covered in a few different threads, but I am creating a new one because I am seeking some specific feedback about my "birth certificate".

Here is the biggest thread about this topic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398

Back in April, I ordered a Certificate and Data Sheet. Here are some pictures of the product I received. Very professionally done. The documents arrived in a folder and the envelope was protected with a sheet of cardstock to keep them from getting bent in shipping. I have some questions to follow. Please review and offer any feedback you have for us. Nothing of great importance, but simple curiosity about a few things.

For reference, I have a 1969 Beetle Sedan Deluxe Autostick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered this because I had a suspicion that our engine was the original and I was hoping to prove it. I just received the documents the other day and I was a little surprised to find that the engine I have is NOT the original (I knew the odds were against us, but the engine's crank case # allowed it to be a strong possibility for being a match to our VIN.)

1) As you can see from the first page, they state that my engine number did not correspond to our VIN. It has been my understanding (and others) that H5 designator on the engine only came with the Automatic Transmission, but based on the VIN list (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php) it means this engine came with the M157 Option package which is the emissions for US & Canada. It does confirm the engine was for a Deluxe model (among others), and was not available for the base model (111). There is no mention that it was only available with Autostick (Option code M9).

Anyone else have any comments on this?
I am fairly certain that ALL original 1500 autostick engine cases began with the "H5", correct?
I am also fairly certain engine code H1 was offered in the US, so why is M157 spelled out exclusively for the H5 engine? (because didn't all Beetles imported to the US in 1969 have the M157 emissions option?)
Does anyone know if it was it possible to get an Automatic Transmission with an H1 engine code by chance?

Option Codes: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest1.php

2) Pages 2 & 3 confirm it is a Model 113 042, VW 1500 Sedan and was produced May 27, 1969 and originally came with Diamond Blue paint, Black leatherette seats, an Automatic transmission, a 44HP engine, and the White/Black rims (see bottom of page 2). It had option code M002 (U.S. Headlamps) and M350 (page 4 confirms M350 = U.S. Equipment: Seatbelts in front, MPH speedometer, 2 locking doors, Sealed-beam headlamps, Hazard Warning System, Without flasher, Laminated Windscreen, Ram protection, Drum brakes, Dual-circuit brake system, 12-volt-system). All of the above matches our car.

I find it odd that M009 (Automatic) was never spelled out explicitly like the other 2 options were. I also found it odd that other options were not even listed. Is that because some "options" came standard with the "Deluxe" model? or if coming to the U.S.?

I guess I was expecting more of a build sheet showing everything that was installed at the factory.

Anyway, just a little bummed that it's not a matching set, but thought I would post this anyway as an example in case anyone else is interested in doing it. I also welcome any feedback or commentary on this.

Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

Engine H5 66..... looks to have been made in January/Feb.
Not really close to the end of May.

Automatic was spelled out explicitly. Just not under M codes.

The dealer could have installed options not written down on your docs.

Don't forget to read the fine print at the bottom of your last pic.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

actually, I am surprised that they gave you the engine #.....I thought they would leave it blank if it wasn't correct

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

It is disappointing that VW calls this an "automatic." There were "automatic stick shift" Bugs, and true "automatic" Type 3s in 1969, but there were no Type 1 automatics ever.

There are also documented errors in some birth certificates.

So take it all with a grain of salt.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
actually, I am surprised that they gave you the engine #.....I thought they would leave it blank if it wasn't correct

Where does it say that?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

It doesn’t tell the original engine number... they just repeated back the number he submitted (H 66______).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
It doesn’t tell the original engine number... they just repeated back the number he submitted (H 66______).

ahhh...makes sense. with it being blocked out I assumed that is was the proper engine number. you know what they say about assumptions Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificate from Stiftung AutoMuseum Reply with quote

Yeah, kind of bizarre, that mention of 'automatic'... and yes, had it truly been a semi-automatic, it should have had option code M9 listed.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: