Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

brandon- I definitely had better results setting valve lash when engine was warm, lifters pumped up, it was the first time I'd done it too, after having the motor out for head reseal, overall refresh.

ratwell.com has good directions for adjusting hydraulic lifters, his are geared towards 78-79 bays, but still mostly apply. He also has the bostonbob write up on lifters, which is super informative(IMO).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Cold or luke warm, you don't want or need to be dealing with an engine hot enough to harm yourself.

I turn the adjusting screws in with my fingers, often lightly rocking the rocker as I do so, feeling for the subtle point where I feel contact and the play in the rocker goes to zero. Do not push on the bottom of the rocker as that will collapse a soft lifter.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
Good to hear. I just adjusted the lifters. Sorry it took me so long I never did that job before and it wasn't so bad. I watched a video and I did 1.5 turns past no resistance.

Will test further tomorrow. I guess I won't do another compression test I'll do a leak down test on Thursday when my leak down tester arrives.

Were you careful to find the zero point prior to going in 1.5 turns? It can be almost imperceivable. Were any of them out?

J

I felt like they were way too tight. I loosed them up quite a bit, then used my fingers to find the resistance. Then 1.5 turns after that.

After work tonight my plans are to install plugs back, put injector cleaner in gas tank, and drive it back home. My leak down tester comes in tomorrow. Any idea how much PSI to give it before hooking up to engine? I've never used one before. How long do I let it sit for?

Too tight is what I would have expected. Once you get used to finding zero lash, it's actually pretty easy. If you felt it.. then you are ok. I like to count how many turns out it takes to free up the rocker then go back in.

The leak down is self explanatory, you attached air pressure to the guage, zero out the dial with the regulator. Then attached to the cylinder adapter. It gives you an instant reading on the leak down amount. be ready to hold the crank in place as it sometimes like to rotate one way or the other as pressure is applied to the top of the piston.

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

When I first started it up after adjusting valves there was some exhaust smoke for like 2 minutes. Mild - moderate amount.

I drove to the gas station 6 miles away, filled up and added injector cleaner, came back and got these numbers.

Compression test - hot- after adjusting valves
Cylinder 1 100 psi
Cylinder 2 130 psi
Cylinder 3 60 psi
Cylinder 4 150 psi
Quote:

Before...Compression test - cold - before adjusting valves
Cylinder 1 80 psi
Cylinder 2 130 psi
Cylinder 3 100 psi
Cylinder 4 140 psi

Leakdown test might go down tomorrow. Maybe Friday. What's it looking like? I didn't adjust my valves? Maybe I should do it while engine is a little hot?

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

I'd double check your valve adjustment.. especially #3. Be sure each cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke and that each pushrod is still seated in its lifter cup.

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

1 turn after zero lash

Cylinder 1 130 psi
Cylinder 2 130 psi
Cylinder 3 150 psi
Cylinder 4 150 psi

Leak down test. Two different tests. One at 50psi and the other around 90.
On the right side of engine, I felt there was air leaking from spark plug hole.

Cylinder 1 50L 10R. 90L 19R
Cylinder 2 50L 20R. 92L 40R
Cylinder 3 50L 28R. 88L 48R
Cylinder 4 50L 29R. 90L 52R
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
1 turn after zero lash

Cylinder 1 130 psi
Cylinder 2 130 psi
Cylinder 3 150 psi
Cylinder 4 150 psi

Leak down test. Two different tests. One at 50psi and the other around 90.
On the right side of engine, I felt there was air leaking from spark plug hole.

Cylinder 2 50L 20R. 92L 40R
Cylinder 3 50L 28R. 88L 48R
Cylinder 4 50L 29R. 90L 52R

I’m not following your leakage test results. What kind of tester did you get? Perhaps post a picture of it? Your new compression results are much better. Did you find you had adjusted the valves incorrectly?

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

I’m not following your leakage test results. What kind of tester did you get? Perhaps post a picture of it? Your new compression results are much better. Did you find you had adjusted the valves incorrectly?

J

Yeah I didn't rock them back and forth. I loosed them up, saw what you mean't about making the pushrod is still seated in its lifter cup. Thank you so much.

Here is what I bought.
Example:

Cylinder 1 was 50 PSI on left gauge - 10 on right.
Cylinder 1 was 90 PSI on left gauge - 19 on right.

I feel like this can't be good.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Got it. How soon after your valve adjustment did you perform the leak down? If you didn’t give your lifters time to bleed down to zero lash then each valve was being held open. Drive it for a bit and then do a leak down.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

You can set your valves so that they have a tiny bit of lash (~ .006") to do a compression or leak down tests. This takes a couple of variables out of the question. After the test you can then go back and reset your preload.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You can set your valves so that they have a tiny bit of lash (~ .006") to do a compression or leak down tests. This takes a couple of variables out of the question. After the test you can then go back and reset your preload.

All things being equal.. your lifters should be at zero load once run for a bit... but I’ve always done leak down tests as part of the valve adjustment process. Back out the adjusters... test the cylinder.... set lash... rinse and repeat.. always repeat..

J
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: