Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie ( my 1st beetle)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Hello Members,
I just purchased a beetle , not sure if its 57 or 58 , I haven't picked up the car yet . The previous owner purchased it years ago drove it on sundays . Never bothered to restore it . He himself isnt sure if its 57 or 58 , he just says title is 58 .
Sure members here will help me with this.

some info from the VIN
VW 1/11
1110 (kgs)
450 (kgs)

1 block is blank

142 805 (this no. is stamped on the body shell between data plate & made in W Germany plate)

I do not have the engine no. right now , If members here help me which year is my bug .

Rear glass is not oval has added the confusion .
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

oval back window or larger one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

It has a large window
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

A rectangular rear window means it is not a 1957.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
Rear glass is not oval has added the confusion .

That may be confusing for some people because, the car may have in fact been built in the latter quarter of 1957 calendar year, but it's considered a 1958 "MODEL" year.
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

the rear deck lid has the W shape with a pope nose.

the tail lamps are the small ones with snowflakes pattern on them

again the dash is not of oval but the steering wheel is of a oval .

as per the VIN no.s I have posted I just wanted to know which year my car is .

Thank You.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Click on the technical tab at the top of the page. Look up “Type1” Vin codes. You’ll see the vin you provided dates to Dec 1957 making it a 58 model year. Model year begins in August of the previous year. I.e. a June 67 car is a 67. A Nov 67 car would be a 68. Plus your title says 1958. Decklids and steering wheels can easily be swapped out.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Your VW is 1958 model year, assembled in early December 1957.

The bodyshell was completed a few days earlier, at the end of November.

For your engine to be original, the serial number will be around 2120000.

Please post some pictures.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Post lotsa pics in your gallery when you get the car! Cool

Meantime, get this (if you haven't already!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Thank You , doubts cleared , once car is home will wash the bug and post some pics .
Yes have ordered this particular book , Any other book or tools which helps to keep the bug running ?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

I also have the Bentley manual. On rare occasions, I have found discrepancies in procedures between the two. When/if that happens, post your question on the forum. Lots of knowledgeable folks here!

Oh, and band-aids. Stock up on band-aids. Wink

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

The Muir book has a rather good section outlining the various tools you'll want to have depending on how in-depth you wish to get with your repairs, I'd recommend giving it a read before buying anything beyond a basic metric toolset.

For broad-spectrum maintenance on your car you can't go wrong picking up a copy of the official service manual by Bentley covering your year model Bug, as suggested. Along with the Muir book, or Idiot Manual as it's often called, they will give you the best information to tackle most jobs within the realm of a home mechanic. Other books will start to come in handy past those two when you want more task-specific or part-specific guidance, as well as references to broaden your knowledge of parts identification and interchange. I'd recommend browsing through the Technical section of this site and downloading a copy of the owner's manual if you don't already have one, as well as copies of the various VW service booklets covering items such as ignition system adjustment and carburetor tuning.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

Many knowledgeable folks here, but for sure one guy that's an expert on pretty much everything with your car is 'jays58s' , you can PM him and I'm sure he'd be able to answer any of your model-specific questions, including interior fabrics and unique nuances, if you're interested in correctness and to know what's been tampered with.
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

A big THANK YOU everyone who replied with valuable answers .

Yes I do have some tools but not the special tools required for the bug .So would like to have them and wrench myself .

Books yes would be getting them soon .

the Samba looks like a familly or should I say VW familly.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

rusty, here's the VIN plate from an unrestored '58 Beetle sedan I found in the Gallery.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Translations from German; Left side:
-zul. Gesamtgewicht kg stands for the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating in kilograms (car weight plus occupants plus luggage). The zul is abbreviation for zulaessiges
-zul. Achslast vorn kg is maximum front axle load

Right side:
-Fahrgestell-Nr is chassis number (Nr is abbrev. for Nummer)
-Baujahr is build year
-zul. Achslast hinten kg is maximum front axle load

The title is Volkswagenwerk (Volkswagen factory) Gesellschaft mit beschraenkter Haftung = limited liability. In the German language, nouns are always capitalized even if in the middle of the sentence.

My first Beetle was a '60 back in the mid '70's. I also installed a W decklid which was oval-era.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
A big THANK YOU everyone who replied with valuable answers .

Yes I do have some tools but not the special tools required for the bug .So would like to have them and wrench myself .

I add my voice to those recommending the Muir book, and not because of the title!

Among repair manuals, it is the only one I know of that, at the front of every procedure, lists the tools and materials you need to do the job. All other books make you figure that out, and of course it only takes one crucial part or tool to stop you cold. This is probably the best feature of the book! It's always a great start.

I used to pull out both Muir and the Bentley to have the two ends of the spectrum for information.
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

yes the VIN pic posted & the translation explains a lot , but looks like I missed to note down the 2 block on the right ( year ) , Once the car reaches home will get my doubts cleared.

Regarding the books , the Muir is quiet popular on Amazon too. When typed VW books , its a sure to come by , I trying to figure out the Bentley one now.

Thank you members
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
yes the VIN pic posted & the translation explains a lot , but looks like I missed to note down the 2 block on the right ( year ) , Once the car reaches home will get my doubts cleared.

Regarding the books , the Muir is quiet popular on Amazon too. When typed VW books , its a sure to come by , I trying to figure out the Bentley one now.

Thank you members

What doubts?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

a few doubts as I am new and the car is not at my place yet . Why does the 2nd block on the right hand side have no numbers. (VIN plate)
or I didnt notice.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie ( my 1st beetle) Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
a few doubts as I am new and the car is not at my place yet . Why does the 2nd block on the right hand side have no numbers. (VIN plate)
or I didnt notice.

You gave the vin of 1766815 . This is all you need to determine the year. As mentioned multiple times above, its a 58 model year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: