Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing power steering rack
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a awful power steering leak. Started about 6month ago just adding a tiny spoonful to keep it at max but now it will drop around min in less then a week of light driving. I can see the leak drops (especially parallel parking). if I keep the reservoir topped off the pump won’t get damaged ? This like an $800-$1200 fix from my local mechanics. So I’m wondering if it’s an easy weekend job? Are there any tricky parts where I might need a specific tool That I can’t buy at an auto store? Or should I just bite the bullet and pay a mechanic. I know this is really contextual but I guess I’m asking what did some of you do if/when you needed to replace ur power steering rack?

Thanks!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

$1200?! F- that, it's a super easy weekend job. Here's the write up I made when I replaced mine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=532490&start=20

There's a great chance your pump is already toast, sending pieces of metal through your hoses and rack (which may be the cause of the leaks at the rack) so I would just budget for a rebuilt one. It's very important to flush the system before hooking up the new rack to avoid ruining the seals on the new rack.

You may need a pickle fork to remove the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles. I don't remember if I used one or not.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Okay thanks that a great write up.

I think I can handle this.
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

I’m ordering parts now but it sounds like all I need is:

1. Power steering rack with pinion
2. Power steering pump
3. Ps filter
4. Pickle fork

Is that it or is there some things I should replace while I’m down there? Does the rack not come with bushings?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

I didn't need the pickle fork.

I would definitely take this opportunity to install Powerflex rack bushings. I'd actually take the opportunity to install all new Powerflex bushings all around... you're going to need it aligned after all, but the rack bushings at minimum.

You're also going to need some fluid.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I didn't need the pickle fork.

I would definitely take this opportunity to install Powerflex rack bushings. I'd actually take the opportunity to install all new Powerflex bushings all around... you're going to need it aligned after all, but the rack bushings at minimum.

You're also going to need some fluid.

+1, especially on the Powerflex PS rack bushings.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

I rebuilt the PS rack on my 84 (from an 85 Westy wreck) and the rack on my 89 Carat. I did both of them this year. They work just fine... weekend job, plus alignment as stated.

Note: This would be a good time to look at front suspension components if they've got a lot of miles on them, considering the investment in the alignment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Seems like it'd also be prudent to replace the long lines while doing all the other work...don't see that on your list.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Seems like it'd also be prudent to replace the long lines while doing all the other work...don't see that on your list.

i wish this forum software had a "like" button. this is sound advice.

basically if you have the front end apart, do whatever you can while it's apart. how are your brake lines Laughing
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Don't the long flex lines to the PS rack require custom fabrication at this point (i.e. NLA)? It is a good idea but at some point the snowball effect needs to be kept in check (I say this as someone who's wife is pushing for a home remodel project Shocked ).
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Although probably possible to change the PS hoses without removing the fuel tank, but I believe it would be a lot easier just to remove it which is a major additional step. Or, it may be possible just to lower the tank a little to insert the replacement hoses. (I just did all this recently, but my hoses were new as of about 5 years ago. I did remove the tank completely for other purposes.)

Last edited by AndyBees on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Don't the long flex lines to the PS rack require custom fabrication at this point (i.e. NLA)? It is a good idea but at some point the snowball effect needs to be kept in check (I say this as someone who's wife is pushing for a home remodel project Shocked ).

Bus Depot has drop in replacements:

http://www.busdepot.com/251498100
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Unless you are in an area with bad salt corrosion etc or see obvious weathering on the long lines, I'd just replace the rack. I did this a couple years ago and it was crazy easy and fast. The rack is completely unobstructed on this vehicle and you have to remove nothing else. I put new tie rod ends on since I was loosening them, and new factory rubber bushings where the 4 bushings mount to the back side against the frame.

Totally easy, a 2 banana rating. Do hit the metal hose line connections with quality penetrating oil, do have a proper brake line wrench so you don't strip them, and when the lines are off, repeatedly fill the (cleaned/no filter) reservoir and let the clean fluid gravity feed the lines. Then put in a new filter and refill.

Then put the $800 you saved into your kid's college fund.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

Vanagain has a really nice replacement kit on the lines too, and as usual a handy instructional video on the job itself.

Doug, I guess I just assumed that everybody's lines were rusty like mine...east coast bias rears its ugly head again.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

i'm sure the Vanagon has other plans for that $800.00 Smile
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing power steering rack Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:

i'm sure the Vanagon has other plans for that $800.00 Smile

LOL!!! Shocked Very Happy Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: