Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I decided to convert my '85 Westfalia from a 1.9 to 2.1. My first plan was to go with a Subaru but budget constraints have limited me to the 2.1 engine at this time. I bought the '85 automatic without an engine and have since purchased a good used 2.1 to instal. I know there are quite a few differences in the water piping and electrical connections. The 2.1 engine came with its ecu and wiring harness.

I tried a search but nothing conclusive came up on this conversion. I'm looking for insight into what I need to to change for the wiring in particular.

Any suggestions or experience is welcome.

Thanks

Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Edited... I didn’t catch that you currently have no engine. This swap should be pretty easy.

Last edited by Yellow Rabbit on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

The wiring is easy. Show us some photos of the empty engine compartment and the 2.1 that you have.

The cooling system is probably going to be the most work.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

My plan is to do this very thing come rebuild time.

But I'm easy on engines, match revs on downshifts, keep good and clean synthetic oil in it, all meaning it may be a good, long while before needing said rebuild.

I intend to find a builder from a performance background to enable a couple tweaks:
— port and polished intake and any other ways to get more air in;
— a tuned exhaust to get it back out, and possibly a trick injection, computer, and whatever else do get more power without sacrificing much if any longevity.

Goal is going from 82 bhp to maybe 105-110. Anyone who's done this, I'm all ears and thus overly-susceptible to listening.

Or in lieu of all that, keep it at 1.9L as I am fascinated with Marco's turbo kit — but would keep that to a 50% power benefit tops to get miles out of it. I have no desire to get much above 125 to preserve the trans and all bits between.

No hijack intended but hopefully food for thought without much trans-fat.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I stuffed a 2.1L engine in my 83 1/2 using the 2.1L cooling system and exhaust, but keeping the Digijet FI system. May upgrade that some day as well.

If you have a complete 2.1L you should have most of the cooling system so it doesn't take much else to get it done.

Going with the 2.1L exhaust is a big improvement in reliability in my book so worth whatever it takes to do.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Going with the 2.1L exhaust is a big improvement in reliability in my book so worth whatever it takes to do.

In cooler head temps and/or better breathing from more power?

Thanks, WT.

— Colin Chapman
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I just replaced the 2.1 in an '84. It uses the complete 1.9 cooling system with the complete 2.1 engine management and exhaust systems. If I were to undertake this swap, I would do it exactly the same way.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Still using the smaller, steel cooling pipe, Casey?

Our cooling system has been the Bomb for quite some time now, never gets anywhere near hot. So while I don't think the larger diameter is necessary — and sure don't want one in plastic! — curious what you did.

— Colin Chapman
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I thought the 2.1 cooling system would be more desirable as the 1.9L thermostat housings are becoming more hard to find.

E1, what kind of long coolant hoses do you have under your 1.9L?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Do you mean the solid pipe?

If so, the 1" steel. The 2.1s use a plastic 1.25" replacement which I won't touch.

There's 1.25" new steel pipes out there, but in my view the prices are ridiculous.

If that's what you mean… all my rubber hoses are stock.

— Colin Chapman
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I’ll post pictures when I get back in town. Thanks for the responses
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Still using the smaller, steel cooling pipe, Casey?

Our cooling system has been the Bomb for quite some time now, never gets anywhere near hot. So while I don't think the larger diameter is necessary — and sure don't want one in plastic! — curious what you did.

I didn't do the initial swap, but I cleaned up the mess they made originally. It uses the factory steel pipes and all the 1.9 cooling system in the engine compartment. I swapped over the 1.9 thermostat housing and rear block off plate. All the 1.9 cooling bits bolt right up to the 2.1 engine. If you just have the 2.1 longblock, then you could run the Digijet and 1.9 cooling system on the 2.1 and there's really no big change involved. I do prefer the 2.1 exhaust system, so I'd really want to try and source one of those. I found a complete system on Craigslist for $100 and have been very pleased with the result.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I prefer the streamlined cooling system of the 2.1L. So many leak potentials on the 1.9.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

It sounds like the OP doesn't any of the 1.9 stuff left in the compartment so he has to figure out where to go from here with what he actually does have to work with. Without photos we can't really know what he still needs. Many 85 came with plastic 1 1/2" diameter long pipes and if those are what he has then it is a bigger problem than if he has 1 1/4" diameter steel pipes. Steel pipes he can cut to the shorter lengths needed for a 2.1 cooling setup. Not so simple with plastic pipes as he would be cutting off the important metal sleeved ends.

Mark
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

[quote="crazyvwvanman"]It sounds like the OP doesn't any of the 1.9 stuff left in the compartment so he has to figure out where to go from here with what he actually does have to work with. Without photos we can't really know what he still needs. Many 85 came with plastic 1 1/2" diameter long pipes and if those are what he has then it is a bigger problem than if he has 1 1/4" diameter steel pipes. Steel pipes he can cut to the shorter lengths needed for a 2.1 cooling setup. Not so simple with plastic pipes as he would be cutting off the important metal sleeved ends.

Mark

Just the engine was pulled. All the harnesses, ECU and plumbing are still there including the 1.9 thermostat housing. Looks like the only thing missing is the 1.9 water pump.
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I’ll be able to post pics tomorrow when I get back in town.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I didn't do the initial swap, but I cleaned up the mess they made originally. It uses the factory steel pipes and all the 1.9 cooling system in the engine compartment. I swapped over the 1.9 thermostat housing and rear block off plate. All the 1.9 cooling bits bolt right up to the 2.1 engine. If you just have the 2.1 longblock, then you could run the Digijet and 1.9 cooling system on the 2.1 and there's really no big change involved. I do prefer the 2.1 exhaust system, so I'd really want to try and source one of those. I found a complete system on Craigslist for $100 and have been very pleased with the result.

Appreciate the info, Thanks! Cool

— Colin Chapman
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Photos of the engine bay and 2.1 motor

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice no thermostat in the housing. Maybe why the 1.9 blew?

Notice some fried wires that need to be dealt with
lucianosanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

I have an 83.5 (originally came with 1.9) which has a 2.1 engine on it. It uses the 1.9 engine management and cooling and I think the 1.9 exhaust. I didn’t do the work, I purchased the van this way.

By the way, I think I know which van you got. I saw it on my local CL and really wanted to get it. It looked like a good deal.
felixbobcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone convert their van from 1.9 to 2.1 engine? Reply with quote

Turning out to be less of a good deal with all the problems I'm discovering.

Any thoughts guys on how to proceed? I'm thinking of keeping the original cooling system and Digijet.

Any advice on how to do that is appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: