Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I need to use a thermostat?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A painted line will work also.

True, but you might not be able to see the line you painted. With the cut in the end, you can reach the end a feel it's position.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

I found a scrap piece of plastic that I wedge into the "screw slot" I cut. It acts as a flag to show the position easily.

I imagine one could use a suitable bent pocket clip from a pen or mechanical pencil to grip the end and show movement more easily. Whatever works!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I check it on tune-up day when I first start the car. As it gets older, I may make a habit of checking for "open" at each gas stop.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Glenn wrote:

True, but you might not be able to see the line you painted. With the cut in the end, you can reach the end a feel it's position.

Ah... digital indicator rather than analog Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Ah... digital indicator rather than analog Wink

Hey, whatever works. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

Tram wrote:

The aircooled thermostat performs the same function as a watercooled thermostat- to get the engine temp up to spec quickly for most efficient running and fuel burning, adding life to the engine by preventing the build up of harmful byproducts.

Only a fool would leave it off.

That's why the Doobie Brothers sang,
♫ "But what a fool believes he sees
No wise man has the power to reason away
What seems to be" ♫ Cool

My '63 Notch didn't come with a thermostat from the factory. When I switched to 12 volts I bought a 12 volt fan housing (silver color) because the 12 volt generator, which rests on the housing, is a different diameter than the 6 volt generator. However, the 12 volt fan housing wasn't a correct fit with the early tin it slides into. That means for the flaps to be fully open when the engine is warm, at start-up the flaps aren't fully closed. It isn't close to being closed. So I don't know if my engine is getting much benefit from this set-up. And I can't fit late tin because the body inside the engine compartment would interfere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OGSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
My '71 fastback is garaged in a SoCal valley. When I rebuilt the motor I put the thermostat back in. Even with the warm garage, I noticed quicker warm-ups and earlier steady idle. I figure the smoother running meant it was reaching equilibrium faster, and the result would be less carbon buildup over time.

Also, the heater warmed up within about 2 minutes, instead of 5!

2nd point doesn't make sense. Air to interior is determined by combustion temps. Those temps don't change whether the flaps are open or closed.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

Now that is has turned cold here in the high country. So glad when the engine was down this summer repaired the T-stat flaps assembly. Warms up fairly quick.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

OGSquare wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
My '71 fastback is garaged in a SoCal valley. When I rebuilt the motor I put the thermostat back in. Even with the warm garage, I noticed quicker warm-ups and earlier steady idle. I figure the smoother running meant it was reaching equilibrium faster, and the result would be less carbon buildup over time.

Also, the heater warmed up within about 2 minutes, instead of 5!

2nd point doesn't make sense. Air to interior is determined by combustion temps. Those temps don't change whether the flaps are open or closed.

When the thermostat flaps are closed (cold engine) The majority of fan air goes through the heater boxes into the car instead of onto the motor.
1. The motor warms faster, because less air is cooling it.
2. More heat from the exchangers is coming into the cabin, because more air is moving that way.

What’s That Noise?!?
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use a thermostat? Reply with quote

I tore down an original mid-'63 engine years ago and learned a little about the earlier engines in the process. I didn't find a thermostat or any provisions for one. No flaps, no shaft for the flaps...nothing. The fan shroud doesn't even have the boss for the flap shaft bearings. The flaps didn't start until the '64 model year (August '63). The Workshop manuals discuss the parts needed to retrofit the thermostat to earlier engines.

It seems that the engineers originally thought they could get away without putting the thermostat/flaps on the Type 3 engine. Fairly early on VW apparently found that it was better to have them in place on a stock mass produced engine that would potentially experience every climate under the sun. Here in Denver, I'm going to run the thermostat/flaps on my Type 3 engine. My opinion is that if I lived in more consistently warmer climates, I might even consider them optional.

I don't currently run the thermostat/flaps in my wife's Type 14 and it does take about 10 to 15 minutes for things to warm up well. I worked with a Fluke 62 MAX IR gun last summer to find the various temperatures around the engine where it started running well--and where it started behaving badly, even when shut off (fuel percolation issue). I feel I have enough evidence to determine that the thermostat/flaps are going back onto the Type 14 this Winter. In conjunction with temperatures, the AF meter I hooked up also proved to me why I need the later style Ghia decklid for better cooling and carb breathing at high speed--which are considerations at the other end of the spectrum from the thermostat/flaps. Plan to go through the same drill with the Type 34. I'll at least have a benchmark across the spectrum to help determine what is 'normal' for my cars.

NOTE TO TRAM: Maybe you already know this--but I didn't. The #2 Main bearing in that original '63 engine was NOT steel backed. I guess the steel backed #2 didn't start until the 'K' engines in Aug '65?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: