Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

A compression test will rule out mechanical damage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

tvavrda wrote:
tjet wrote:
There's a slight chance that you may have hydrolocked the engine at one point.

A compression test will tell you if this happened.

Hmm, but that would mean water would get inside the cylinder? That never happened as I know. The water was leaking OUT of the engine, not INSIDE to the cylinders. And I drove about 1000 mi since being resealed and the last coolant leak appeared. About 300 mi on petrol before this happened.

It's possible that all your coolant leaks (including the exploding manifold) were the result of cylinder compression finding it's way into your cooling system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

Got it. Will do a compression test.
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

Still thinking if a mechanical problem would only appear when running on petrol but not on LP? Maybe because LP is slightly hotter?
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
It's possible that all your coolant leaks (including the exploding manifold) were the result of cylinder compression finding it's way into your cooling system.

But wouldn't that mean coolant would get into oil? Didn't have this problem.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

Your past and current starting issues are tell-tale signs of a post-hydrolock event.

Hopefully, I'm wrong and thats not the case...

Last edited by tjet on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

to me the smoking gun is that it runs fine on LPG. so you have a fuel issue and i'd wager that with all the work you've done on the fuel system you have plugged injectors or more specifically, plugged inlet screens on the inlet of each injector.

also, don't rule out low fuel pressure. i would absolutely do a fuel pressure test, which i haven't seen reference to yet. the injectors go from squirting a very nice combustible fog to merely a solid stream of gasoline when the pressure drops by not too much.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

I did complete fuel pressure test (pressure with/without vacuum, volume test, residual test). All within specs.

I visually checked injectors - they all work when cranking and seem to provide a nice cone of fuel...

After changing the tank I ran on top quality Shell petrol with additives. About 400 km on this without any issue. So I doubt the injectors would be clogged or something...
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

So IMHO there is spark, there is fuel, there is air... But it does not start... Must be a spark and fuel at wrong times or something? And this very bad sound sometimes... Or hesitating to crank on first turn sometimes...

Hesitation on first crank used to happen always when cranking after turning off the engine while running previously on LPG. Next time it cranked once... pause, and then it started. This was with the original starter with weared bushing. Since changing the starter this did not happen anymore, was starting immediately. Now it is back with all the other problems.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

okay. good on checking for pressure and pattern. so the next thing that i would be curious to try is changing the ignition coil. the fuel/air mixture of LPG is somewhat easier to ignite than gasoline so it sorta makes sense it runs fine on LPG. this also meshes with starting issues and deteriorating performance after it has been running a while, as the coil can heat up and have high voltage breakdown. also, be somewhat suspect you have the right distributor cap and rotor. if the clearance is wrong, it can cause issues.

on that line of thought, make sure you have non-resistor plugs as you already have resistor plug wires. normally, they can fire with resistor plugs but if the coil is weak, it becomes an issue as there is usually a resistor in the rotor, then add in 5K on the wires and 5K on the plugs. can be too much.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

I have a new coil (again BOSCH - correct for my engine). Since the old one is a bit hard to remove (LPG stuff is nearby) I just made a small test by rewiring it to the new one. The results were the same, so I wired back the old one and left it for later.

I should have a good cap as it was assigned to my engine model in the catalog. Strangely, after putting it on it started on first crank. I thought I solved my starting issue but it was the only time it ran without a problem. Then it was again impossible to start (well one of 10-20 tries it also starts on 4 cylinders).

This happened again after cleaning AFM. It started to start very well! For about 5-10 times! And then again...

Anyway the old distributor cap was not bad, it just looks used but I ran on it since ever. I thought it would make things better so I replaced it but nothing changed. Old one/new one - same issue.

The plugs are new NGK B6ES. Again, the NGK product search shows these are correct plugs. Anyway, the old plugs had the same problem, they ran fine until now. When changed, the issue is still the same. Clearly, plugs were not the issue.
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
the fuel/air mixture of LPG is somewhat easier to ignite than gasoline

NGK says otherwise "The mixture of gas and air is more difficult to ignite". Therefore they developed a special model LPG sparkplugs LaserLine: for gas engines.

Which makes it even more strange...
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

tvavrda wrote:
DanHoug wrote:
the fuel/air mixture of LPG is somewhat easier to ignite than gasoline

NGK says otherwise "The mixture of gas and air is more difficult to ignite". Therefore they developed a special model LPG sparkplugs LaserLine: for gas engines.

Which makes it even more strange...

i'll be darned. man, i was wrong on that count. always thought LPG burned easier and cool to see that a specific plug is made for it.

well, i'm stumped!! check igniton timing, check compression. 2 important things to do in diagnosing this.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
tvavrda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX (SR) Starting Problems (Bad ECU?) Reply with quote

Thanks for all the efforts so far. I ordered the compression tester. Will test tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: