Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stick as theft deterrent
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Jehova's witness people come to my house every Sunday and leave some things to read at my door.

One time they came as I was going out the door w/ an M4-variant Colt carbine strapped to my back. I just told them we have some serious squirrel problems in the neighborhood--- Laughing

They said, ahhh ok.

Another time, the guy came to introduce himself to me that he is the guy that reads the meters...and that to not shoot him. He must have seen me mowing the yard w/ the M4-variant strapped to my back.

You are not prepared enough. What about when a kamikaze attacks? You got some surface to air set up? Alerts to your smart phone by radar? Maybe some 50 cal positions, good old tripods, none of that easy modern stuff. Smile

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
My neighbor mows w/ a shotgun on his lap sometimes.

Why ?
Just curious ..... I have pleanty of Guns, and 3 German Shephards to secure my Home & property, but to arm yourself to mow the law ? Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Why ?
Just curious ..... I have pleanty of Guns, and 3 German Shephards to secure my Home & property, but to arm yourself to mow the law ? Confused

You should see the size of squirrels here. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Why ?

Perhaps he feels silly mowing the lawn with a German Shepard on his lap.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Why ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kentucky-...-1.3611277

https://myfox8.com/2018/05/18/woman-attacked-by-ne...-put-down/

http://m.cleveland19.com/story/38665214/60-year-ol...or-suspect

https://fox8.com/2017/10/31/tuscarawas-county-man-who-was-attacked-while-mowing-lawn-dies/

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

My neighbor Dave made a scabbard and mounted this to his riding mower to hold a sawed off shotgun. Problem here is not lowlife people but snakes. Mainly copperhead and rattlesnakes. Lucky me I live at opposite side of neighborhood where snakes don’t congregate. I remember poor mr Paul getting hit, wonder if it knocked his wig off.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

My dogs would rather bark at the mower.
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

I don't have no lawn to mow but about a week ago I found out two things... first off my air compressor set at 145 psi and my blow gun work really good at chasing a black bear out of my shop and second maybe it's not a good idea to work under the car with the garage door open.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
iowegian wrote:
cbeck wrote:
Shithole after the worker bees go home. My 2nd shift job while still in highschool was 2 blocks north.
http://amp.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article216648710.html

Hard workin' folk just expressing their second amendment rights. Probably on their way to mow some lawns.

Umm, yeah, sure. Pretty sure that the lawfully armed working citizens were probably home at that point.

Or inside the gas station working the night shift to pay for college.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
crukab wrote:

Why ?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kentucky-...-1.3611277

https://myfox8.com/2018/05/18/woman-attacked-by-ne...-put-down/

http://m.cleveland19.com/story/38665214/60-year-ol...or-suspect

https://fox8.com/2017/10/31/tuscarawas-county-man-who-was-attacked-while-mowing-lawn-dies/

Thats it ?? A bunch of random google search stories ?? Yea that Rand Paul should have been carrying since he had a crazy neighbor ... Rolling Eyes Laughing
I'm sure there are more stories of people rolling there riding mower & getting killed than those gun stories. Good to see the Samba tradition of a thread about anything going off the rails about Guns.... Twisted Evil

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Actually it’s a very small minority that are obsessed with guns and think everyone is out to fuck them over. I get a great chuckle reading the ravings of the gun lovers. Keep the comic relief coming😀 oh and the black helicopters are still watching you.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

using a gun to solve property crimes no matter how justified, still results in a dramatic inconvenience on a guy's way of life, better left to the cops and insurance companies. Unless you like totally fucking your life up over a couple thousand dollars. Even at millions of dollars what's the point if you risk long term incarceration, life's to short to prove a point, and to trust your freedom to a jury of your "peers", or the political climate at that particular time.
Being ass raped in prison isn't very manly
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

I leave my car unlocked. Here they will break windows and take you shit. So I figure if they are going to steal my stuff, its better to have your stuff stolen than have your stuff stolen AND a a broken window.

This world is getting crazy. Its good to be armed. I'm not armed all the time. When at home, my weapons are locked in the gun safe. If I am going to some place with a ton of people, I am usually armed. I have an issue with crowds. Iraq may have had a small reason for that. Who knows.

Q-Dog wrote:
Best thing you can do is lock your vehicle.

There were a bunch of in-vehicle thefts in a nearby town a few weeks ago. None of the vehicles were broken into ... since they were not locked. Turns out quite a few people leave their vehicles unlocked with valuables inside them, including guns. Rolling Eyes

Sometimes I leave the cars unlocked around here. Everyone here knows everyone, even if many don't talk to each other. Never really had an problems and never really think about it. But I don't keep anything of value in them ... only things that can easily be replaced. One of my neighbors reported someone broke into her house, but I was home outside during the day when it happened and I saw nothing. Not likely a gun would have made a difference.

I always wondered what kind of a shithole do people live in, who feel the need to be armed at all times? Laughing
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

Back to the topic, how about a knob like this one...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or a sticker like this on the dash...
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Back to the topic, how about a knob like this one...

or a sticker like this on the dash...

Spot on! Hahaha. That would make things a trifle difficult to sort out haha.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

I sure am glad to see some levelheadness on here (Everett, Zund, Busman) evening out the hotheadedness (TDI, nsracing)
Never had the need to carry a gun, And don't tell me I'll be sorry, I was born and raised in Little Rock Arkansas ranked #2 of the most violent crime cities in the US per capita. I never had a problem, you know why? Because I didn't go looking for trouble.
Some of you sound like the police dept at the community college I work at who keeps trying to get everyone armed because they're hopped up on attitude. Every time some voice of reason says "I don't want to be armed" their response is "WHEN (not IF, WHEN) an active shooter shows up here you're going to wish you had listened to us." It's like you all WANT something to happen to justify brandishing, do you really need to blow off steam that bad??? There's a 0.8% chance of an active shooter coming on to our campus, that means a 99.2% chance it will never happen. But it sounds to me like-- just like our police dept-- you seem to be HOPING FOR that exception. Rolling Eyes

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

I told a police Sgt at my college the other day I have never NOT been able to diffuse a difficult situation with a kind word and a nice smile, He looked at me like I was nuts.
Freaking hothead just wanting something to happen. Rolling Eyes

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I told a police Sgt at my college the other day I have never NOT been able to diffuse a difficult situation with a kind word and a nice smile, He looked at me like I was nuts.
Freaking hothead just wanting something to happen. Rolling Eyes

Do you have a fire extinguisher? You don’t want a fire to happen just because you have an extinguisher do you? But you sure as hell don’t want to wait for the fire department to show up while you watch everything burn to the ground right?

Do you carry a jack & spare in you car or a AAA card if you don’t? You don’t want a nail in your tire just because you have one or the other at your disposal, right? Over the thousands of miles that you drive every year, what are the chances that the ONE 1.5” nail or shard of metal is going to puncture your tire?

Oh yeah, you’re the brain donor that has the same exhaust leak on the same fucking car for his entire life, that throws common logic right the fuck out the window.

I can’t speak for all of the gun owners but I don’t want to have to use mine in self defense. I have been in several situations where drug addled, non-rational individuals have sought me out & it was then that I realized that the police weren’t there for my protection.

Of course the police Sgt is going to look at you like you’re an idiot when you start berating them about how they do their job & what they feel is necessary to do the job of which you demand while you try to handicap them. Judging from many of your past posts, I’m pretty sure that you’d be the first to try to sue the police department for NOT stopping a POTENTIAL threat after something dire has happened.

Why is it that so many school campuses have become targets for people wanting to kill large numbers of others? Maybe because they know that “gun free zones” mean that no one else will be able to shoot back for at least a few minutes.

It’s funny how the anti gun groups expect the police force to protect them without guns.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

There you go once again exhibiting your NRA brainwashing, immediately insisting anyone who thinks a Yosemite Sam rootin tootin shootin attitude is probably a bad thing, is automatically anti-gun. Rolling Eyes I'm not anti-gun at all, just anti-hothead. A fire extinguisher serves a legit purpose. Hoping something will happen so you can justify carrying does not. I don't give a shit whether you carry or not, but let me remind you you're the one who came on here bragging about he's going to full someone full of lead if they look at your car wrong, like you HOPE it will happen, and it had to be pointed out to you how wrong you are about the statutes dealing with that. Congrats you've now given me a reason to hope it happens too, just to show you there are consequences to thinking like that.
I was hoping maybe your ignorance stopped there, but then you had to go and once again bring up some drivel about a fatal exhaust leak on my car that--once again- I've driven since I was 16, and here I am alive and well. You keep insisting things are one way when simple facts (both your state's gun laws AND the fact I am walking around just fine) proves they aren't. Rolling Eyes It's like you have some alternate view of reality where facts don't matter.

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:51 am; edited 3 times in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stick as theft deterrent Reply with quote

3-2-1 locked
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: