Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Aufgeladen Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

The running light is wired up and looking good. I've dropped the brightness down by adding another resistor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the blinker soldered together and ready to be wired up. Starting to get overwhelmed by all the wires sticking up, but they are simply wired up in a parallel circuit.

Here is the blinker wired up and working...

Last edited by xzener on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

That's a lot of blinky-blinky lights.
Let us know how you feel about making more of these after your done making your two. Shocked

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Haha!! Yeah, this is VERY time consuming. Shocked
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Well... Been trying to stuff all these wires into the housing but am nowhere near securely sealing it. Back to the drawing board. Confused Glad I stopped at the blinker for a fitment. The redesign will have WAY less LEDs. I think I went a little crazy this last go around.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey guys. For those of you who have installed the Action Glass dashboard... Did it require trimming for proper fit? And how did you go about measuring and cutting the defrost vents?? Thanks!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Hey guys. For those of you who have installed the Action Glass dashboard... Did it require trimming for proper fit? And how did you go about measuring and cutting the defrost vents?? Thanks!

Well, real ghias have no heat. Wink so...we dont need to cut vent holes Smile

I did not need to trim any of it. If you are using the dash vents you will need to slice and dice. I would try to apply something(chalk powder, grease pencil, even grease) on the vents of the car that would transfer to the back side of the dash piece when in place.
How is the fit? Mine, if about 3/4 of an inch longer would have been real close to perfect.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Darrel. Mine is about 3/4" short too. I can see the speaker indention. The door/windshield pillars seems to be the culprit. Seems as though I can trim the dash and allow a better fit, but I'm not sure how much. I will probably wait till the windshield is installed to get a better idea for trimming. I live in 100 degree weather 8 months out of the year... I suppose I can forgo the vents, but it would be mainly for defrost function. Plus, the dash seems to teeter on the vents that protrude above the dash a bit, not allowing it to seat flat. Also, how did you secure it to the car??

Here, you can see where I'm about 3/4" short...

Here is the passenger side door pillar...

And here, the drivers side...

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thats pretty close to what my fit was. I'll check tonight for you...but I think mine fit closer to the windshield. I installed with window rubber in place so that may be why. Is the dash cap touching under the lip (on the dash board side)?
Here,

This is the cap just sitting in place, not installed, you can see a little paint showing near windshield. Once attached it disappears.

If you have your front window rubber, put it in place (w/o glass) and see how much that covers the leading edge.

If you are going to cover the pad in vinyl, you can "Cheat" a little on the ends so it appears to be a perfect fit. Idea

Right side, pre install just sitting in place

Left side,

I used one screw to each side its hidden when door is closed plus the grab handle holding the whole thing in place.

Vents are obviously up to you. You can cut them out of the dash cap or cut or flatten the lifted metal edge of the vents so dash cap sits flat.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, yours looks to have better fitment around the door pillars. Mine have extra material, almost as if it wasn't finished. I know they were not in stock when I ordered it, it took about 3 weeks to get it. I will try the rubber in place and have another look. The under side has room to slide forward, so if trimming is successful, it should fit much like yours. Thanks for the input Darrel.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally received my new headliner. Ordered some binder clips for the install. In the mean time, decided to put a resistor between the fuse block and the front running lights to tone them down a bit. I like the end result, but may reduce the resistance... Might be a tad dim for night driving.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the headliner prepped and ready to go. Threw it up just to see how my pesky bow would sit. Looks to have settled nicely. Should be able to install it this weekend. Very excited to get working on it.

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Nice choice! I'm sure ur install will have less wrinkles than mine, and then you can come straighten mine out Wink
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Been a while since I've checked in. Making great progress here man. I love the LED taillight idea, I did something similar on a motorcycle I built a few years back now, the red LEDs are for sure the way to go. Same concept as yours except I used a solid breadboard with holes for the LEDs, which made the soldering process a bit easier. When I was finished I slathered hot glue all over the solder joints to make it "waterproof" and to be sure that if I ever had to replace an LED it would be an absolute nightmare Twisted Evil - luckily the bike is sold now and the light lasted ~4 years without losing a diode.

A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Very nice AdvCo! I also smothered mine in hot glue... And had a circuit stop working. Had to dig it out to repair, but wasn't too bad. I have another prototype in-work, but with the headliner and carpet showing up on my doorstep... That project has been back burnered.

Received my carpet from Newton. Excellent craftsmanship. Can't wait to to put it in the car...

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

And away we go...

rward011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Damn, I feel like I'm only a couple steps behind you and just seeing the pictures of the headliner are getting me gidddy.

I just put down 50ft of sound deadening and will probably get another 25 Ft. to finish the rear luggage area and roof.

After that I plan on taking a quick drive over to Sewfine which happens to be in Denver to check out colors for the interior and headliner.

What did you end up doing for your seats? I'm debating on the Scat Pro90 Lowbacks
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Will be buying yardage from TMI and having my Procar 90s upholstered locally.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Boom. No wrinkles. Cool And, while I was waiting for the pillars to dry, I went on ahead and glued the deck lid and trunk weather stripping. Both came out great.

Last edited by xzener on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Finally received my new headliner. Ordered some binder clips for the install. In the mean time, decided to put a resistor between the fuse block and the front running lights to tone them down a bit. I like the end result, but may reduce the resistance... Might be a tad dim for night driving.

Those headlights are Sweet!
I love the look, and it will be a tremendous safety improvement as well.
... safer for both you, and for your Ghia too.

xzener wrote:
Some progress on the LED tail light mod. Going to be about 221 LEDs in total. The running lights will be the outer diameter of the lens. The brakes will cover the top 2/3s of the lens, while the bottom 1/3 will be blinker. This is the first mock up, so it could change.

xzener wrote:
The running light is wired up and looking good. I've dropped the brightness down by adding another resistor.

Here is the blinker soldered together and ready to be wired up. Starting to get overwhelmed by all the wires sticking up, but they are simply wired up in a parallel circuit.

Here is the blinker wired up and working...

The running light ring of LEDs looks great, and is a nice match to the one in that sweet headlight assembly as well.

I'm just curious why you chose to put the blinker section in the bottom 1/3 of the taillight housing?
Presumably you wanted the brake light to be larger and therefore more easily seen, which obviously isn't such a bad idea.

I presume that the VW engineers also wanted the brake lights to be more easily seen which is why they designed the bottom 1/3 of the lens especially for the brake light.

I don't know if it's just because blinkers are "typically" placed in the topmost (or outermost portion in a horizontal configuration) portion of the lens, but it just looks odd to me to have the blinker on the bottom.

However if you used the topmost 1/3 for the blinker as VW originally did and then used the bottom 2/3 for the brake light, the functional division of the taillight wouldn't be as visually clean.
In that scenario, half the brake light portion would be made up of the "plain" middle section of the lens and the other half made up of special brake light portion of the lens.
That would allow you' to be able to take advantage of the extra brightness designed into the bottom 1/3 of the lens, though, thus ultimately making your brake light more easily seen which I've assumed is your end goal.

Another perhaps more visually clean solution could be to use your current scheme of assigning the blinker to that portion of the lens that VW intended as the brakelight, but then mount the taillight upside down in the fender so that the blinker would then be in the topmost portion where it belongs. Wink

Anyway you choose to go with it, I think your LED taillight conversion will be a great success and a very smart upgrade to your Ghia project.
Keep up the great work!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: <insert name here> Build Thread Reply with quote

Thanks KGCoupe! The lens with the ring was prototype 2 I believe. With prototype 3, I dropped the ring idea and went with three sections, more or less stock. I have come up with a design that will fit without modification, but have sidelined the project for now. If you look at the top picture you posted, you will see I used LED bulb replacements for the running lights. They are reflecting on my garage door... Much brighter than stock too.

Thanks for the input, I also was thinking about the original German engineer design. With using the three sections, it will be easy to configure it how ever I see fit. But do intend on keeping the stock look.

The headlights are awesome, and am very happy with my purchase. I agree, it will be a much safer car... Before I put a resistor on the running lights, they we're SUPER bright. I'm liking the dimmer look, but plan on a tad bit brighter before I hit the road.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 46

Jump to: