Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Springers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

I have a stuck trailing arm that I cant get out. I can rotate it but only with a fairly large sledge hammer. The lower one came out fine and I see it has a white full length bushing which I assume is delrin.
I've tried huge crow bar and bent it. Puller cant grab it well enough. chisel and sledge didn't budge it. Air hammer was just taking metal away.
Anyone have any tricks or advice on how to get the trailing arm out. I am totally stuck on this one.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

It is surprising the bushing didn't come out with the arm as when the arm is stuck it usually can be pulled out with it. Two things you can look at , sometimes the delrin bushings were put in and somebody put the grease zirc in and missed the hole in the bushing so the zirc is clamping it down. Also if the beam is slightly bent the spring pack could be under side tension which sometimes makes it a bear to get out. Try driving
the spring pack out by taking out all the set screws and driving it all the way past the arm that is stuck then try pulling the arm.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Springers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. I was only able to get one out. The other 3 I am causing damage and making very little progress. I gave up for now. When I have more time ill take the beam off and try again. I was able to free up the one that was causing the most trouble so I hope it get us through our trip next week. Never been to the sand before so probably just going to be putting around anyway.

oh forgot to say there are no zirc fittings. Not sure if the beam is bent but it could be. The one I got out was bone dry and the bushing did come out with it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

Try a bearing separator, clamp it onto/behind the arm & find a couple of pieces of metal to put between the screws & the beam.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14pcs-Car-Bearing-Pulle...mp;veh=sem

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
The_Springers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

I really need to get some of those bearing separators. They seem very handy.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trailing Arm stuck in link pin beam. Reply with quote

Possibly you could drive something long through from the other side. I realize this will only work once you get one arm out of each tube...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: