Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marissamitch1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Hello,
Does anyone have a recommendation on an experienced VW autobody shop in New York preferably in Westchester or Putnam Counties? We need body work and a paint job done in 2 weeks (bus is in decent shape). Thanks in advance.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Good morning Marissa, and Welcome to the Samba.

Your posting gave me a chuckle when I read it. One Samba member in Illinois has had his bus in the body shop for two years, and is just getting painted. Hopefully you'll have better results.

VW buses are nothing like modern cars where old panels get replaced and a coat of paint slapped on. These are unibody construction, meaning the entire body and frame are welded as one unit. So any rust requires cutting out, a new piece located or fabricated, welded in, ground smooth....etc. very expensive and extremely labor intensive.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

two weeks? To do it right, that would mean a shop would have to divert 100% of their production to your bus, assuming that they could source the parts, media blast it in that time. And, if you found a shop with no business there would be a reason for that. Last - who pulls everything off the bus and puts it back on? Do you strip the hardware off, or do they? Do you have the replacement rubber for the windows? If so what brand and quality did you choose? IMHO - this isn't going to have a happy ending if you are in that much of a hurry on a 45 year old car. Just telling like it is. In fact when I restored mine it took me a couple months just to find someone who was willing to work on it for less than $25,000. Paint and bodywork came to about $9,000 and several months work by the time it was done. I think one Dave down under did took about 2 - 3 years to get right. You can ask Skills in CT what he charges but I think the 2 week thing would kill any chance of having anyone do it short of a production team of 6 to 8 people. 6 - 8 people X 30 days wages would be close to $50K plus the facility cost and materials x 1\2 for 2 weeks - that would be at least a $35,000 paint and repair job by the time you were done. Maybe someone like a local MAACO can tape, bondo and spray for something that lasts a couple years before the rust comes back.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

marissamitch1972 wrote:
........... body work and a paint job done in 2 weeks ...........

Hahahahahahahahaha, that only happens on TV Laughing

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
marissamitch1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

I thought this was a message board where helpful people would offer information for various questions. If you don't have an answer to my question, no need to post nasty or teasing comments.

Not looking for a full restoration and the bus is in great shape, we need minor dents banged out and a paint job. It's for my photography business - to cart my equipment. If it needs a new paint job in 5 years because rust has come through, hopefully, I'll be able to take on a bigger, more expensive and time consuming project. Maaco has given me a quote and they told me 5-10 days but that was a month ago when they were slow. They are super busy now and said it'll take a month.

If no one has a recommendation, that's fine. But please don't post unless you have a place to recommend.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Suggestion...

Find a local shop that has done work for other VW people in your area (if you are a member of a VW club ask them who they have used).

My guy took almost a year to do my bus. All of the glass really has to come out to do it right since they all rust at the windows.

My other bus was done by a MAACO and it was a lousy job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

marissamitch1972 wrote:
I thought this was a message board where helpful people would offer information for various questions. If you don't have an answer to my question, no need to post nasty or teasing comments.

Not looking for a full restoration and the bus is in great shape, we need minor dents banged out and a paint job. It's for my photography business - to cart my equipment. If it needs a new paint job in 5 years because rust has come through, hopefully, I'll be able to take on a bigger, more expensive and time consuming project. Maaco has given me a quote and they told me 5-10 days but that was a month ago when they were slow. They are super busy now and said it'll take a month.

If no one has a recommendation, that's fine. But please don't post unless you have a place to recommend.

people were sincerely helping you. Imagine I called you and told you that we needed a photographer to take wedding pictures and process them in the next 45 minutes 20 miles from where they are now, taking photos on another shoot. That is what you are asking on a 50 year old car where rust is common and parts can take months to source. If that answer is offensive you have my deepest apologies on behalf of everyone here. Your request is unreasonable other than someone like a mass produced paint shop like MAACO. They will make it look nicer but not solve any of the problems which will be back.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

fast
right
cheap
pick any two....
Why did you not do Macco when they had openings? any job done in two weeks is going to be super expensive if it is done right, if not impossible to do right. Paint guys are anal about their work, because if it is bad or good, their name is attached to it. Your only hope is some kid who took auto body in community college who has 2 weeks before he goes back to school, and good luck having him do work that is excellent. If you don't care, just bust out the rattle can.
does the bus now have original paint on it? (You will never have og paint again!)you may be able to have a can or two mixed up to match and just hit problem areas.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

I realize you asked a simple and haven’t had it answered yet. But you gained some knowledge. Seriously. Don’t be offended by the honest tough love in here. When you have a break down question you can save time and money with all these guys. These guys don’t need to be on the Samba helping. But they are great people that enjoy problem solving and helping others. Hope you get your situation worked out. Looks like I’m covering skills tonight at bar, first round on him. Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Go to maaco....it sounds like you just want shiny paint....not a restoration. Lots of good shops won't touch "just paint" because their name is on it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Go to maaco....it sounds like you just want shiny paint....not a restoration. Lots of good shops won't touch "just paint" because their name is on it.

^This.

I had to wait years to get mine done properly.

I suspect a lot of the problem here is the disconnect between what is seen on TV and the reality of doing the actual (dirty/hard/intensive) work. I also suspect that the OP didn't like what he/she was quoted at MAACO. If you think they were high, wait until you see what you're asking to have done really costs you.

Nobody meant you any disrespect. There are a lot of people on this forum that have decades of experience with these machines. If you find a shop in New York state that will turn your project around in under two weeks, we'd love to hear about it. What Steve was telling you earlier is the truth...you're not going to find anyone to do what you're asking - at least not properly.

I think you may need to reconsider your time frame.

Good luck with it all. Let us know how it turns out.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Also keep in mind these TV shows have 2 dozen people working 24/7 on the vehicle for the 2 weeks. Just a matter of getting in the labor hours..
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
All of the glass really has to come out to do it right since they all rust at the windows.

Hello, Not to start an argument, but.
I'll agree with you on the glass needing to come out to 'DO IT RIGHT" to a point. They can use the rope trick, to get the window seals up and out of the way, for painting and body work. Not everyone has the funds for a proper complete paint job... Then you get to deal with the shitty replacement rubber seals these days....
And BTW, my bus has no rust, even at the windows.. So, not "all" rust at the windows. So, I'll keep Gus the bus, a true survivor for now... Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones.....
Anyway, I'll have to agree with Mr. Skills on this one, take it too Maaco. If you just want a refresher on the paint. It will not break the bank to do so. For, the most point, they do have some good painters(practice makes perfect) if they've been there for some time...
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Maybe this will be helpful

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320572&highlight=tremclad+rolling
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Seems like once upon a time every town had a body shop with an old guy called Bondo Bob or simply "Dusty". He would bang out the dents and slap the cheese on the Mercury Zephyr you had banged up before you returned it to Rent a Wreck. He would give the same treatment to any high school hotrod or large home appliance that needed some quick and cheap shiny. He never wore a mask and smoked like a chimney. Guess those days are long gone.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

two weeks !!/!?!?

hahahahahahaha
damn...
I wish..............................
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Hire a house painter
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Transporter Bus needs autobody recommendation Reply with quote

Do you have any photos of your bus? Good shape is really subjective and so is the range of quality and price for repainting. Maaco is at the lower end, but is not the worst. My first bus paint job would be considered pretty low quality, but I was a student at the time. I did the body filler, sanded it all down and had a shop mask and spray it. I thought it looked amazing and it held up well for quite awhile. Anyone with any bodywork experience could spot the flaws, but to any normal non-car enthusiast, it just looked like a cool shiny bus. If this is what you are after, it can be done. But your time limits are still unrealistic. Maybe you could try another Maaco or a hole in the wall, mom and shop body shop. The kind of place you hear about by word of mouth. This is the busy season for body shops in the northeast, even the crappy ones. But most of them can still sand down a bus so paint sticks to it for a few years. There are a lot of people who can make a bus look decent with some rattle can and buffing. They are on this forum too but probably aren't going to body shops for their work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: