Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner help
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zdmk07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

Guys, my Bug has 40 dual barrel carbs. It has these air cleaners. I looked for numbers on the element and didn't find anything.

Are these washable cotton? Like a K&N?

If so, after blowing out and washing/drying, do u use K&N oil on them? Thx, Dennis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

I've always used the K&N "refresher" kit with those.. it has one flavor of snake oil to clean them (I spray it on and then rinse them under a faucet), and another flavor of snake oil to re-oil them..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

I hate these things. Their filtration capacity is only slightly better than chicken wire.

You can get a paper element that will replace these if you shorten the lid hold down slightly

Let me try to find the part number
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

You shouldn't blow K&N/cotton gauze type filters out with high pressure air, it can blow holes in them, you should let them air dry if you can or use a your HP air from a couple feet away. when dry, oil them with K&N oil or what ever air filter oil you have, I tried ATF mixed with 91% rubbing alcohol once, it worked but not as good as K&N oil. If you want better filtration get a set of outer pre-filters such as panty hose.
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

I have similar filter on my 1835cc engine with single Weber, and also on Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon (because we bought it that way in 2010).

I use the K&N type oil, but found that I used up the cleaner solution at a faster rate. I used a tip from someone online and switched to Simple Green as cleaner, then rinsed, and used the K&N oil spray after it dried.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner help Reply with quote

I would suggest changing to a Rc2 filter since they work way better than what you have and replace those stamped air filter tops with a cast alum top since the one you have will flex and let dirt in...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

If you keep what you currently have you can do the following:
As stated above getting an inexpensive paint brush and any all purpose cleaner to spray on your existing filters, agitate, then rinse. Let it air dry and then spray with a filter oil. You can pick some up at your local auto parts store or ebay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: