Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New LPG tank issues and questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

The saga continues with a replacement LPG tank purchased from GW (3.3 gal). When I originally installed it and noticed the purge requirement sticker on the side, I asked on this forum how necessary that was. I got about 50/50 on the purge versus no purge required options, so I opted to take it to a few refill places until I found one that was actually able to get about 1.6 gallons into the tank (the first few couldn't get any liquid to flow).

I've used it sparingly, but all LPG items in the van work off the tank just fine. However, I've now been taking it around town to refill stations in an attempt to put additional liquid in and am having the same issue, it won't take any liquid from any places that I've tried.

It seemed from the previous opinions that once I got some liquid in the tank, the gaseous air would compress to a very small volume and eventually flow out during use and I would be able to use the tank normally.

However, something is keeping the tank from taking any more LP, and I'm not sure what else I can do other than remove it half full and take it somewhere to be serviced.

Looking for opinions.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
remove it half full and take it somewhere to be serviced

I would do this since it's new and relatively easy to remove (no rusted bolts, etc.). Perhaps take it to an RV store since they deal with this kind of stuff all the time.

On second thought, I would probably call an RV store for advice before you do anything.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

(In Portland, Oregon area) you might try Hometown Hearth and Grill in Gresham, SE 181 and Division. They do service (not just refilling tanks) and have helped me with a couple of issues over the years.

You may have difficulty getting a loose tank that is intended to be mounted on a vehicle filled. There are different Federal laws (ICC vs. DOT) for portable tanks vs. vehicle mounted tanks. I know it "mounts to a vehicle" but when it isn't mounted, it is considered "portable". Which it is, at the moment. It puts the vendor in a tough spot.
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

I just installed my new LPG tank a few days ago. Prior to that, I had it purged at Suburban Propane in Beaverton off the 217 (next to the old Toys R Us store). I'd take it to them. They do nothing but propane. OBTW, it was $5 to purge. After I installed the tank, I brought it back there to have it leak checked and filled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
...in an attempt to put additional liquid in and am having the same issue, it won't take any liquid from any places that I've tried...

Do be sure they have opened the bleed screw far enough to be releasing lots of gas. I have had places declare it would not take any LP until I encouraged the to open that screw 'more, a bit more, still more'. I watch the gauge while they do this and can tell them when the dial finally starts moving.

More of a problem on a warm day than in the winter.

BTW - I'm in the 50% who never purged mine and it worked just fine.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

I took the tank to Suburban Propane this morning, as Hometown Hearth refused to look at it unless I brought it in completely empty.

Suburban attempted to fill it, and like everywhere else, it wouldn't take any LP. Then, the tech suggested we invert the tank and try to fill. Sure enough, it took a gallon of LP.

The tech wasn't sure whether air would have caused the issue. Instead, he thought that the float valve which is integrated into the fill valve of the tank may have either been installed incorrectly, or was malfunctioning. Apparently this float valve is what causes the fill to stop according to him.

I called GW to get more info. The tank is out of any warranty coverage, but I hoped they could provide me with either a spare part, or even info with which to contact the manufacturer, which is Manchester. They were no help, and could not tell me anything about the tank other than their own PN, which is apparently a VW PN.

At this point it seems like I have 2 options.

1. Purchase another new tank and start over.
2. Empty the tank myself and find a local shop that can source a replacement part. I don't think that place is Suburban Propane, it doesn't look like they have that kind of expertise there. Hometown Hearth may be, but I won't know until I bring in the empty tank.

I have to say that everyone I call and bring this tank to gives me weird looks. I don't know if there's just a general lack of knowledge and experience or what, but I haven't found anyone yet that really seems to know what is going on with propane equipment in general. It's been pretty frustrating.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

This may be of no help - but I purchased a new tank from Vancafe which turned out to have a defective fill valve from the get-go - you could hear parts rattling inside (replaced with no quibble I might add). I believe the standard sized tanks VC and GW sell are the same. Perhaps these valves are susceptible to damage in not-too-gentle transit?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

a good gas plant, like Cenex in the midwest, services all sorts of propane appliances. the tanks aren't rocket science, it is a fill stop valve with a float arm that shuts off propane entry when the arm floats up and they stock all sorts of them.

worst part is you need to remove the tank but just about any place that deals with propane service will be able to unscrew the fill stop valve and either see what is wrong to fix it or replace it. generic arms can be bent to result in an 80% fill, which is the standard and also what the dip tube for the vent is set at.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

On my GW tank, made by manchester, like the original, I had a tough time finding someone to purge it. They want it off the van. A place did do that, but then it only filled with 1.6 gal.

I tried to burn off a lot of the gas running the fridge for a week and cooking a bit. Next time I filled it took 2.4 gallons. So I think it's more purged now than before. Several cycles are necessary, from what I understand.

I wish Manachester would ship them pre-purged.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

Can’t pre-purge, then the tanks would have gas in them.

Always purge the tank, removes air and moisture. Any water will freeze your regulator as the liquid changes phase.

Opening the vent while filling is common and doesn’t hurt anything, did it all the time.

The float that prevents overfilling sticks sometimes, upending the tank and banging it on the ground releases it. But there’s another “safety” device that prevents gas from rushing out when you open the valve. (Thank you idiots who didn’t close valves when changing tanks....). That can keep the gas from going in. Try opening and closing the fill valve slowly.

You use a tank on the Westfalia. A bottle is used on your bbq grill.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Can’t pre-purge, then the tanks would have gas in them.

Ap.

Yes, they can be pre-purged - with vacuum. I think it's also possible with the right inert gas. I have bought two tanks(not bottles) made by Flame King that were pre-purged. They do not make the 3.3 gallon size, however. Manchester(Who makes the GoWesty, RMW tanks), AFAIK, still does not pre-purge any of their considerable assortmeny of tanks.

I too suspected a sticky OFPD on my GoWesty tank, but at least in my case, I did not have to take the tank off to fix it..
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the cutoff mechanisms attached to the fill valve? Are there steel parts that can rust and jam up if exposed to moisture?
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

Thought I would resurrect this thread, as I found a solution that may help someone else someday.

I eventually got Hometown Hearth to help me in Portland after removing the tank. They emptied the remaining propane and removed the fill valve. This valve has a hinged float that cuts off the fill at 80%.

It turns out, the valve had been installed at the factory incorrectly clocked. There is a small notch on the outside that denotes the 12-o-clock position once installed. My valve was clocked at 1-o-clock, which means the float valve doesn't swing in a truly vertical arc, it swings with a slight side shift. This tilt in the float swing can cause it to bind or stick at various points during the fill.

Once the valve was re positioned correctly, it took 2.6 gallons no problem!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

Good to hear you resolved this. 👍🏼

Happy Spring. Cool

— Colin Chapman
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:

It turns out, the valve had been installed at the factory incorrectly clocked. There is a small notch on the outside that denotes the 12-o-clock position once installed. My valve was clocked at 1-o-clock, which means the float valve doesn't swing in a truly vertical arc, it swings with a slight side shift. This tilt in the float swing can cause it to bind or stick at various points during the fill.

Once the valve was re positioned correctly, it took 2.6 gallons no problem!

Sounds like GW should be reimbursing you for the repair. A tank that costs that much that they supply that often should be "correct."

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
There is a small notch on the outside that denotes the 12-o-clock position once installed.

would you be able to post a photo of that notch? great info to know!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

Glad you got it resolved!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:
Sounds like GW should be reimbursing you for the repair. A tank that costs that much that they supply that often should be "correct."

Concur.

— Colin Chapman
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
a2wolfsburggli wrote:

Concur.

Concur on your concur!

Where ya at these days E1? Are you on Instagram? Have a Blog? IMO, there should be a thread sticky that contains links for all the Vanlife bubbas here that want to keep people updated on their travels and adventures.

One day when I retire, I may join in the VanagBond lifestyle.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New LPG tank issues and questions Reply with quote

"VanagBond," love that!

Do it soon, Fella! We hadta go broke to make it happen, so give your money away and live on popcorn. Laughing

(not really, at least per the popcorn) Very Happy

Near Boulder now. Cheyenne to memorialize a lifetime friend's dad in a week, working all summer as much as possible, either in Colorado or eastwards. Might hit a race in Wisconsin mid-September. Definitely hitting a race in Virginia in October! Then east and south, Daytona 24 Hours in January very likely.

I may do a blog, but not until our website's up. Have a book to write once site is up. And may buy a race car to screw it all up, and/or improve a difficult book's ending.

Thanks Bucko. Enjoy the job, it's as good as it gets.
(except for racing for dough) Cool Wink Cool

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: