Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clicking sound up front
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

I have never heard a sound like this in a VW but when driving with the rpms down so I can hear there is a clicking rattle sound that would be equivalent of plastic rattling. I have removed everything from the trunk and the glove box and checked all of the suspension components.

I am just looking for any suggestions where else to look.

Thanks

Last edited by 74 Thing on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic like clicking sound up front Reply with quote

Speedometer or its cable?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

Need some more ideas on this one. I cannot figure it out. I have removed everything in the trunk, removed everything in the glove compartment, removed the anti roll bar, removed the shocks, steering stabilizer and the rattle is still there. I removed the gas tank and resealed it with the foam body strip.

It is not the speedo cable (but thanks for the suggestion).

The tie rods and ball joints are new. It only happens when moving (I cannot get it to make the noise while it is sitting still and I am shaking the car via the roll bar.

Could it be a leaf spring in the front beam? This is a mystery and I am waiting to have the ah ha moment if it ever comes.

Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

Lug bolts/studs too long & making contact with brake shoes/springs.

Is it a rotational noise that increases/decreases with speed?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

The sound is not lug bolt related since I have studs in the drums. I was thinking it could be the wheel bearings maybe.

It is very hard to isolate if the sound is from the drivers side or passenger side. I am sure the sound continues as the vehicle moves down the road, but I can only hear it when going slowly with the engine noise not cancelling it out.

It seems to be suspension movement related, but I cannot recreate the noise by lying under the car and pushing and pulling up and down on the beam or by shaking the car via the roll bar.

Thanks for the suggestion.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

You seem to be stating that the "click speed" is related to vehicle speed, and not engine speed...or is it bump related?
The answer to this will help diagnose the problem.
Find a narrow alley, or similar, where you and a passenger can drive between two walls; it might help you isolate the noise.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

It is bump related-eg suspension movement related.

That's why I removed the shocks and then the sway bar and then the steering stabilizer thinking it could be a mount rattle and drove without them, but the rattle continued.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

Well, I'm stumped.
What if you were to raise one front wheel at a time, and give the tire a little thump with a baseball bat or something similar. That might simulate a road shock better than just bouncing the suspension by hand.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

I am going to try a dead blow hammer today-raise the front end and hit the tires from different angles. I tried the jack handle prying under the tire with the car lifted and I could not find anything.

I am stumped as well!

Thanks for the suggestion.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

I jacked up the front end and hit each tire from different directions and could not recreate the sound. Then I put the jack handle under the tire and lifted up on the front suspension. The drivers side came up kind of easily like I would assume it should, but the passengers side hardly came up and seemed like the whole car was lifting. When I dropped it back down to the ground it seemed like the suspension was working properly and when I lifted up and down on the front end everything moved correctly.

I am still stumped. If you think of anything please post it and I shall check it out.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

I have never taken a front axle completely apart, so maybe somebody who has done this will chime in.

Would a busted torsion bar leaf (between the center grub screw and the driver's side) account for a difference in spring tension from side to side as well as a rattle ?

Just guessing, Mondshine
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound up front Reply with quote

If it is broken to one side or the other, yes. The springs could be binding up in the housing and be locking into the housing and then breaking loose and causing the click. If they break in the middle they spread out to each side a little.
GB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: