Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter camping tips
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
E1 wrote:

Has anyone ever used a down comforter in a bus?

Absolutely!

I will switch to sleeping a sleeping bag in the winter though, but down comforter for the other 3 seasons is great. While sleeping bags are very functional, you can't cuddle with a partner in them, so a comforter will always be my preference Cool

Thanks Bud, here's what we're looking at but haven't any reference experience as to what loft thickness to get. FYI, we sleep entirely in fleece and prefer that to too much loft that may be too hot in the summer.

30 degrees, with flannel sheets is what we need — at the coldest. Any colder and we'd break out the Marmot. In this case I think we want down to save bulk every day it'll be in here, and last time I looked at these it seemed around the same price anyway (which was weird).

Ideas more than welcome!:
http://www.thecompanystore.com/search?q=down+comforters&lang=en_US

To your "cuddle" comment, our bag is a semi-rectangular that attaches to a "groundsheet" called a Coupler that Marmot sadly discontinued a long time back. It held foam pads in place and was brilliant. We had a Big Wall climber friend in Lone Pine make a replacement, but he made it too tight, resulting in excess cuddlery.

So it's one bag for two people, and that setup is highly preferable to zipping two mummies together — and about 55% the packed size. We used this setup from 1985 until 2005 in the bush, waaaay over 1,000 nights minimum and it's great.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Thanks Bud, here's what we're looking at but haven't any reference experience as to what loft thickness to get.

I have a "normal" one for use in a home, and an additional cheap synthetic filled bed spread for a second layer, and of course numerous fleece/wool hats and long johns and sweaters around. In cold weather I'll use my 20* bag under the down comforter, just like staying comfy in the mountains, I like numerous thinner layers that can be added or subtracted as needed.

E1 wrote:

So it's one bag for two people, and that setup is highly preferable to zipping two mummies together — and about 55% the packed size. We used this setup from 1985 until 2005 in the bush, waaaay over 1,000 nights minimum and it's great.

I'd love to pick one of those up at some point, I look at them here and there, but as I already have a few sleeping bags around its a bit tough to justify the cost.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Some great advice here on staying warm. I suggest to the OP that you plan a trip, make a gear list over the weeks beforehand, and head out. There's nothing like experience to tell you what you need. So bring enough gear to stay warm, enough gear to get unstuck, and get out there. Winter camping is like nothing else!!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Condensation is a problem too in winter. We wake up with thick ICE on the insides. Takes forever to thaw out and clear the windows.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

I've seen no reference to carrying tire chains, something to add to the "How Not to Die" list.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Hey, you're gonna get your knuckles rapped for incomplete reading, E! Heh - I mentioned it as well as a non-snow shovel. Also reiterating to have a SERIOUS shovel, not a Kmart plastic snow shovel. One you can pry under the van on hardened snow with and dig into hard packed frozen snow and ice. Two if you have a partner...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Usually I hate winter, but I'm kind of excited to do some winter camping this year, since installing a D2 heater earlier this summer. .. Haven't been able to use the thing yet! ha ha

I also picked up some NOS (late 70s-80s era, I think) Polish Army Surplus blankets that have cool patterns and are very warm.

So I want to try this stuff out!

Other really good ideas in this thread, thanks!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Hey, you're gonna get your knuckles rapped for incomplete reading, E! Heh - I mentioned it as well as a non-snow shovel. Also reiterating to have a SERIOUS shovel, not a Kmart plastic snow shovel. One you can pry under the van on hardened snow with and dig into hard packed frozen snow and ice. Two if you have a partner...

Musta had you on Ignore!!! Wink Wink Wink

Kidding, sorry to miss that! Embarassed

— Colin Chapman
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
E1 wrote:

Thanks Bud, here's what we're looking at but haven't any reference experience as to what loft thickness to get.

I have a "normal" one for use in a home, and an additional cheap synthetic filled bed spread for a second layer, and of course numerous fleece/wool hats and long johns and sweaters around. In cold weather I'll use my 20* bag under the down comforter, just like staying comfy in the mountains, I like numerous thinner layers that can be added or subtracted as needed.

E1 wrote:

I'd love to pick one of those up at some point, I look at them here and there, but as I already have a few sleeping bags around its a bit tough to justify the cost.

- Synthetic or Merino Wool longjohns are great for comfort day and night. That's what I'd start with as the basic. Choose light, medium, or heavy.
- Cold weather socks to go with the longjohns. Choose the material and length to your preference.
- Balaclava.

Those three basics provide a lot of warmth and comfort, indoor and out.

Outside:

- Rubber boots. You have a van, jump in via one of the front doors, deposit the wet/muddy boots in front, move to the rear in your cold weather socks. Easy on and off, waterproof, clean easily.

Conveniences:

- Port-a-potty. Camco 41545. There's no stench that emanates from it, sealed system, use it inside. There will naturally be stench from doing your business, but it will dissipate since of course you keep the various windows and roof vent cracked a bit.
- Mr. Heater if you don't have a furnace. Takes up cargo space, but won't asphyxiate you since of course you keep the various windows and roof vent cracked a bit.
- 12v fan, rechargeable preferred, circulates air and CO.

Dogs:

- You're in for a wet, muddy, stinky mess. Deal with it.

A thing I want to do is use the headroom in these vans (the driving area) by installing an overhead cargo net. Done it before with various vehicles.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I've seen no reference to carrying tire chains, something to add to the "How Not to Die" list.

I actually consider chains to be an item that should be carried year round, they can work wonders on dirt and mud, I've only ever had to use them on dirt once, but without them I would have been in a world of hurt!

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Broseph Stalin wrote:

- Synthetic or Merino Wool longjohns are great for comfort day and night. That's what I'd start with as the basic. Choose light, medium, or heavy.

I love the merino stuff, all winter I live in merino long johns and long sleeve tops, 100+ days a year, they go on in the morning and come off when I go to bed. It is kinda spendy, but you can find some good deals on "less popular" colors at some of the various online retails, especially in the spring. backcountry.com, sierra trading post etc... IMO the heaviest of merino wool longjohns (the 260 weight) are still too thin, I generally wear 2 pairs for all but the hardest of exertion. I am quite lean though, so I do need a bit more insulation than most people, BUT, being overdressed in the winter is easy to deal with as dumping heat in a cold environment is simple, but being under dressed will take the fun out of most any activity...

Samba ad here.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
E1 wrote:

I actually consider chains to be an item that should be carried year round, they can work wonders on dirt and mud, I've only ever had to use them on dirt once, but without them I would have been in a world of hurt!

Oh Heck, I'm in a world of hurt and have chains… they haven't helped!

Wink Laughing Wink

Agreed, never used 'em in mud but sure have thought that someday I will!

Shocked Arrow Shocked

— Colin Chapman
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

You might want to read through this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690765&highlight=revelstoke+winter

Idaho Doug and Jack and E1 have all posted great ideas about to kit out the van, esp tires.

I totally support the winter van vamping idea.
The above thread documents an epic van trip through BC and Alberta last year around the end of December. There was some sort of arctic cold snap while we were on our trip and we slept in the van in -24F. With the pop top up.
Vapor barrier against the canvas of the pop top, like reflectix cut to fit, and we also added double thick fleece, snapped in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What really helps is to close off the front cab with another blanket, draped across and hooked on to the hanger hooks above the seatbelt mounts in the pillars.

And pay attention to your vents. Make sure everything is closed except leave a little open, for ventilation and moisture movement. I left the bottom (of the four levers, the blue fresh air one) open just a tad, which allowed fresh air to circulate, but I was sure to close the door vents.

Every time you open the slider, you lose all warm air, so plan carefully.

While we had a propex, we used a $20 electric heater when we were at campgrounds with electricity. Didn't even use the propex on those nights.

The glass is very much a heat suck, or some sort of thing, so having reflectix in the windows, plus curtains, helps a lot. You can feel the cold air pouring in wherever the windows aren't fully covered, and you understand how important this is.

Last thing I will say is get good headlights or aux lights that will work in snowstorm (low beams would be best, or aimed low). I found it so helpful to have a set of bumper mounted aux lights aimed down about 10 feet in front of the van, so I could see the tracks in the snow, road surface, etc, for all the night driving in the short days.

Enjoy!

Bike as primary transportation
HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Hiking (snow shoes? cross country skis?)

Skis are way more efficient in most terrain, although there is a learning curve.

In either case, definitely consider taking an avalanche awareness class. Here's one good resource: https://www.mtavalanche.com/education/tutorials . If you don't do that, at least check in with a ranger to get an understanding of current avalanche risks and some feedback on your intended route.

My #1 piece of van gear for winter camping is a little broom to sweep out the snow that will inevitably get blown or tracked into the van. You want one that has relatively fine fibers (i.e., not straw). That way you can brush out snow before it melts.

Edited to add: I wipe down door seals and door jams with a silicone spray, helps keep them from freezing shut. I also always carry a little tube of lock de-icer in my pack in winter.
HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Also, I can't recommend down booties enough:

llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a teacher and now back at work. We spent the last week of vacation up in Sequoia and I just can't wait to get back out there.....

ps I have a question. When we camped at Pinnacles NP last year when I woke up the first morning everything was frozen. I mean every single liquid we had brought. The campground faucets were frozen. I had not thought ahead (was not expecting it to be so cold). I'm always thirsty when I first wake up and we had nothing. What do you guys/gals do?

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Put a bottle of warm water at the foot of your sleeping bag.
Extra cozy at night and still liquid in the morning... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

Dave flat stole my answer.

Option is brewing tea before bed, let cool a spell after boiling, pour into a one-quart frosted Nalgene, throw in bag, quick reheat in the morning.

It can contract upon cooling and deform a little, the cooler it is going in the less deformity, so I use a rather second-hand bottle. The frosted style is nicer to bang into than the Nalgene Lexan bottles.

— Colin Chapman
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

PS: Put the bottle in a big old wool sock for extra protection...AND insulation... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter camping tips Reply with quote

A fine accompaniment... and don't forget the silk rose to present the whole gig to the Missus. Arrow

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: