Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge swinging right to left. Also question about sender.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheburashka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Fuel gauge swinging right to left. Also question about sender. Reply with quote

The fuel gauge on my '71 SB is misbehaving. The tank was filled less than 20 miles ago. It sometimes reads "empty" upon startup, and sometimes swings over to the middle range. When I'm driving, it will swing over to about 2/3, then back to "empty" over and over again as I drive. I've cleaned the electrical connections and the ground for the vibrator, but it continues to do this. The sender winding was warped, but I heated it and brought it back as close to flat as I could get it and it appears to make good contact all the way through the range. Any ideas what might cause it to do this?

Also, why does the SB gauge have two floats? I didn't see a "refill" light, but maybe I just don't know where to look. Can different sender be used? The SB ones are quite expensive.

Thanks
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge swinging right to left. Also question about sender. Reply with quote

Check all of the associated connections. I have had loose fuel gauge connections do the very same thing.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge swinging right to left. Also question about sender. Reply with quote

my stdb has always done that.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge swinging right to left. Also question about sender. Reply with quote

Cheburashka wrote:
The fuel gauge on my '71 SB is misbehaving... It sometimes reads "empty" upon startup, and sometimes swings over to the middle range. When I'm driving, it will swing over to about 2/3, then back to "empty" over and over again as I drive. I've cleaned the electrical connections and the ground for the vibrator, but it continues to do this. The sender winding was warped, but I heated it and brought it back as close to flat as I could get it and it appears to make good contact all the way through the range.

My first guess would be a bad fuel vibrator. Considering that the sender SHOULD show LOW every time you take a turn as the fuel moves to one side of the tank, haven't you wondered why the gauge needle doesn't normally bounce all over the place? The reason it doesn't is due to the fuel gauge vibrator. The function of the vibrator is to dampen the changes in the resistance coming from the fuel sender. It does this by pulsing the INPUT voltage to the fuel gauge with the vibrator (early pulse width modulation - PWM). If the internal contacts of the vibrator were fused together and the voltage thru the vibrator was the same as the ignition voltage, the gauge readings would bounce all over the place.
I don't recall if there is a test for vibrators?

Cheburashka wrote:
Also, why does the SB gauge have two floats?

STD Beetle tank (bottom):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SB tank (bottom):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note that the SB tank has a smaller area bulging from the bottom. While both tanks are generally the same size at the top (which would affect the rate that the float moves when the tank is near full), as the fuel level drops into the different sized bulge area the level of the fuel will change faster because the volume contained in the SB tank bulge is smaller. The SB fuel sender needs to treat the rate of fuel change near the bottom differently than near the top. This is why there are two floats and on different length arms and while BOTH change when the tank is near full, only one changes height near the bottom of the tank.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: