Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Povidailo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Hi I am ruining into issue that when I charge my phone via cig lighter in my 1983 Vanagon ( water cooled) the fuse number 8 burns out. Then my break lights, interior lights and cig lighter stop working. It does not happen as soon as i plug in my phone to charge but rather after 3-4 days of charging it on a road trip. Any suggestions? ( I did replace the fuse and seem to fix the issue)
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Maybe the charger is the issue? Bad ground? Maybe try cleaning inside ground of socket and phone charger. Maybe fuse panel socket is bad. I know one of my fuse sockets is bad. One for front header. I need new panel

The number 8 fuse controls your Interior lights, cigarette lighter, stop lights(8A). Maybe the issue happens at night? Maybe consider converting your stop lights to LED to lighten the load.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

newer phones are drawing a bunch of current... as you use the phone over the course of several days, the battery is draining lower and lower and requiring more current to charge - was the phone ever showing 100% charge? assume the worst and it draws 1.5A of current. add in the interior lights and their draw. what was the rating of the fuse you replaced?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Some ciggie lighter sockets are poorly made, with the rear plate containing the spade contacts not glued or welded in. These plates can be pushed back out of the body of the socket and then be shorted out by the tip of the lighter plug.

I've had this happen twice due to over-enthusiastic plugging in by Mrs fxr. Superglue cures the problem - I went around all the rest of the sockets and glued them up as well.
Alex Povidailo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Thanks, for your replies. i replaced with the standard 8 amp fuse. I guess its better not to charge the phone at night with any lights turned on to minimize the current draw.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

The original cigarette lighter sockets are a really loose fit with modern accessories. Swapping it for a new one is a cheap simple thing to try. Also USB chargers are available in different wattages. You could try a different one.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
... Also USB chargers are available in different wattages. You could try a different one.

If the OP is using a 2.1 AMP USB or higher outlet to charge the phone, that could be the source of woe. Using a 1 Amp outlet may solve the problem. Would dirty or poor connections in circuits on that fuse possibly exacerbate this issue?

The OP sees the issue after 3-4 days phone is plugged into cig outlet. Does a device like that, with a really low battery, draw the most current as soon as its connected to a charge source?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

It seems unlikely a 2.1 amp charger would blow an 8 amp fuse. Maybe someone has wired other accessories to that circuit. Perhaps there’s something else like a bad brake light ground causes the overload when the brakes are applied. The phone charger just might be loading the circuit enough to expose another issue.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
... Perhaps there’s something else like a bad brake light ground causes the overload when the brakes are applied. The phone charger just might be loading the circuit enough to expose another issue.

Yes. This is part of where my thinking was going.

I had a brake light switch wire corrode, fall free, and intermittently short to ground. But then when it contacted ground even for a "second", the fuse would blow.

Neil.

Image of failed brake switch wire terminal

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

connector for same

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
It seems unlikely a 2.1 amp charger would blow an 8 amp fuse. Maybe someone has wired other accessories to that circuit. Perhaps there’s something else like a bad brake light ground causes the overload when the brakes are applied. The phone charger just might be loading the circuit enough to expose another issue.

good call, remove the fuse and put a ammeter in series (probes into each side of the fuse) and look at the current draw with and without the phone connected.

don't run it long, just long enough to check the current.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Smartphone via cig lighter burns out fuse # 8. Reply with quote

Its not the draw, its the stupid lighter socket as mentioned by Yellow Rabbit previously.

I used to have a VW LED rechargeable flashlight in my lighter socket - and every time I touched it, it shorted out and blew the fuse...

Either repair a la Foxr or replace as per Yellow Rabbit and charge your phone day and night.

Happiness ensues.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: