Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bitten by discounted parts again
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Bought rear brake shoes from a generic online auto parts place a while back. They run "dealer closeout" specials sometimes and the price was low.
Shoes looked fine when they arrived, put them on the shelf in case needed.

I finally tried to install them yesterday. Installed easily, too easily.
The holes for the main brake returns springs were in the wrong spots. Not enough spring tension. Grrrrrr

Not the first time I have been burned by their "dealer closeout" specials, hopefully the last. Best to buy from Vanagon vendors.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

You get a Big 10-4 from me!

If we're worried about our parts future, we have to support those as engrained in this genre as we are.

That said, if we want our part streams secure we have to hold vendors, and ourselves, accountable if we feel treated like we're being done a favor in being customers. Thankfully only one vendor's had this effect on me so far.

Our best chance is where we spend our money, it is both power and future.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

i just bought a big, heavy duty spring hook tool... a Woody's, specifically because i have to fight Vanagon return springs so hard! never had a set go on easy so yeah, bad part.

i bought a bunch of name brand wheel seals, brake caliper rebuild kits, clutch slave kits, etc when RockAuto was closing out some Vanagon parts. if they hadn't listed the brands, i wouldn't have bought them.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Yes, that is a place where I have bought bogus parts including the above mentioned defective brake shoes. Name brand parts according to the box they came in, still NFG.

Mark
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

I think discount CV joints/axles are a devil's bargain that each Vanagon owner must endure, a right of passage.

They're so deceptively affordable that you can't help yourself, then you soon realize why you got such a great deal on them.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

it'd be interesting to cross reference the part numbers on the shoes they sent you with what the manufacturer lists to see if it was a RockAuto parts listing error or simply just wrongly made shoes.

that clearance was pennies on the dollar and some of the boxes i received were very old classic ATE/Girling boxes so those should be good. had some newer stuff mixed in but it was pretty much NOS.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

The part number is still valid. I looked them up today on other sites. Included in the listings were photos of the shoes, with the spring holes where they belonged and not where my shoes have them.

I can't blame RA or the brand company for the defect. They are defectively made Vanagon shoes but were they made by the brand company or swapped into the branded box by someone else?

They look exactly like Vanagon shoes other than the main return spring hole location, and one of the other spring holes is slightly oversize.

Mark
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Hello!
You can't redrill the hole or would they be too close to each other?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

I thought about it, but the holes would slightly overlap right where the spring needs support. I had other new shoes on my shelf so the defective ones went in the trash. I kept one old and one new with the box for conversation purposes.

I could have welded the bad holes closed if I was in a time bind.

Mark

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Hello!
You can't redrill the hole or would they be too close to each other?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

don't know what brand your shoes were but i've been underwhelmed lately with Wagner's stuff. it used to be top notch. now everything inside their boxes is made in China and with dubious looking plating on hose ends, crimps that are suspect, and stiff plastic-ey feeling rubber parts.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Aren't any American brands still made here?

— Colin Chapman
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Not really. The demanded cost of labor/manufacturing in the US has priced itself out of the market for pretty much any product that can be manufactured elsewhere and shipped.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Aren't any American brands still made here?

We won't pay the cost…lower prices means lower wages and that means that the work goes where wages are low. Some stuff (appliances) went across the border to the maquiladoras after NAFTA. Funny how the prices don't go down that much with the cheap labor while the CEOs all seem to be doing well.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

You inadvertently broached my point, Paul.

When you say "we," that's not me. Bottom line price isn't my first thought in things I buy, it's about who gets richer and who gets poorer because of it.

— Colin Chapman
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

AFAIK none of that political stuff enters into my problem. I bought a US product by a US company sold to me by a US outfit, at a big discount from its normal price. The lesson for me is that sometimes the reasons for such discounts may bite me later. One of the explanations given by the seller for such discounts is that a wholesaler or dealer is dropping a product and clearing out the remaining inventory and they are passing the savings on to me. I suspect that this particular item was available for a different reason. Of course I don't really know.

Mark
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
We won't pay the cost ...

Not long ago, I discovered a hidden problem which had prematurely ruined my newish rear brake shoes, just 24 hours before departing on an 8000-mile trip. With no time to get proper shoes from the usual online Vanagon vendors (and for which I happily pay $50-60), I had to source them from a local FLAPS instead.

When I went to pick them up, the price for a complete set of 4 shoes came to $17.50. Dubious of their quality, I asked the counterperson if he didn't have something more expensive?

He was utterly dumbfounded. "No one's ever asked me THAT before ...!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
....One of the explanations given by the seller for such discounts is that a wholesaler or dealer is dropping a product and clearing out the remaining inventory and they are passing the savings on to me. I suspect that this particular item was available for a different reason. Of course I don't really know.

Mark

Oh, we know the answer. Holes drilled in the wrong place? Wink

Hard to imagine how that would happen.

I like the old sayings and adages

"you get what you pay for"

(well, most of the time anyways)

Not to stoke the fire but today I bought a Sears "Made in USA" compression tester. $6.00 CND. Will it work? Will it be accurate? Maybe....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50Ί ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
One of the explanations given by the seller for such discounts is that a wholesaler or dealer is dropping a product and clearing out the remaining inventory and they are passing the savings on to me. I suspect that this particular item was available for a different reason. Of course I don't really know.

Mark

I agree, perhaps using a service like RockAuto or PartsGeek allow them to dispose of inventory without the real seller's name attached to the item.

I had someone tell me that have no problem with the quality of parts from Rock Auto - and while that may be true for their experience, the point I was trying to make that Rock Auto appears to just be a listing company - that is they don't buy and warehouse parts themselves (please correct me if I am wrong). Therefore, you never know about the particular actual vendor who is supplying the parts you re purchasing.

It's like my pet peeve when when I ask someone where they got it and they say E-Bay. Or "they are available on E-Bay".

Also buyer beware on RockAuto. I recently ordered a very expensive ignition cylinder for a car only to have it not fit due to having a different electrical connector , despite that I had put in the correct car information. I called and explained the situation and the customer rep pulled up the listing (there were two available) and said "well I can see that you could not see the electrical connector in the picture on the one you ordered, so I will authorize the return in this case." In conversation he stated that had the connector been visible in the picture, I would not have been able to return the $440 item. But the only way I know that would have been to disable the car, remove the part, which had a key (purposely) stuck in it , and compare it to the picture,, and then order it.

Heck most of the pictures are not even accurate, so I would not have paid attention to the connector had I had the old part in my hand.
I dodged a bullet, and will never order an expensive, or complex item from the them - not worth it.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

Just to follow up, I think I found out what went wrong with the manufacturer. The shoes appear to be late Bay Window shoes but with Vanagon bits attached to them. Close, but a hybrid mix that fits nothing.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bitten by discounted parts again Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Just to follow up, I think I found out what went wrong with the manufacturer. The shoes appear to be late Bay Window shoes but with Vanagon bits attached to them. Close, but a hybrid mix that fits nothing.

Mark

Inspiration for a T23? Wink

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: