Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW??
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

As I contemplate the purchase of another vintage VW to tinker with....I keep thinking about the first one I had in 1978, it was a 1971 super beetle baby blue in color...I was young and dumb and 17 years old...we blew it up racing up the interstate to go watch a dirt track race...rather than let it sit where it stopped we put it in neutral and 1 guy steered it and the other 2 drunk guys pushed it through town as if we were going to get to the races that night....after at least 1/2 mile of pushing we stopped finally at the local A&W Root Beer joint and called for a trailer to haul us the 45 minutes back home....

So what was the dumbest thing you ever did with your VW??

MikeC
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

... was on a cross country road trip in brand new 1982 Vanagon Westy, in 1982 - traveling North America - was on the NJ to north west coast leg and in Montana i ran out of gas... grabbed a container and hitched a ride some 35 miles away. Before leaving I locked the bus = leaving the key in the ignition... dummy...
Got gas and a ride back.
Then to get-in the bus - decided to break a window, but which one? i chose the smallest one, the right vent wing - wrong choice - was over $300 to fix - was the second dumbest thing I ever did in my VW - FIRST REALLY DUMB THING was buying a Vanagon... had a lotta mechanical problems with it.
After a year, on the road, I sold it with 15,000 miles on the clock and bought a 1967 Westy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Dumbest thing with a VW.
Pulled a '56 sunroof body off the original pan to swap it onto a Ball Joint pan, because "handling", apparently. The 90's were a rough time for VWs.

Dumbest thing in a VW.
Thinking I didn't need to slow down for those train tracks. Nailed 'em, caught air, and while in the air the road curved left. I didn't. Landed, went into the ditch, bounced out of the ditch, ripping off the valve covers in the process. Skidded to a stop in the lumber yard parking lot. Cut up some empty beer boxes to use as temporary v/c gaskets, and off we went.

Speed and alcohol may have been factors.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Driving a '71 Super Beetle on top of the Aquaduct that feeds NYC. It's wide enough for 4wheelers & motorcycles, a VW kinda straddles it like a monorail & you can only get off of it where roads cross over it, otherwise it's a 30'-40' drop off either side into trees. The local roads obviously parallel & cross this huge mound & at some places you can actually jump the intersection in the street by hitting the ramp up & over the intersection of the Aquaduct so it seemed logical in some inebriated sort of way that you could do the same crossing over the street & sticking the landing on the Aquaduct on the other side, it worked OK-ish the first few times. The last time, not so much. We landed tail end first & went end over end three times before rolling down the side. The only wheel still attached to the car was the front right that was pinned between the hood & windshield. We never did find the engine.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Driving a '71 Super Beetle on top of the Aquaduct that feeds NYC. It's wide enough for 4wheelers & motorcycles, a VW kinda straddles it like a monorail & you can only get off of it where roads cross over it, otherwise it's a 30'-40' drop off either side into trees. The local roads obviously parallel & cross this huge mound & at some places you can actually jump the intersection in the street by hitting the ramp up & over the intersection of the Aquaduct so it seemed logical in some inebriated sort of way that you could do the same crossing over the street & sticking the landing on the Aquaduct on the other side, it worked OK-ish the first few times. The last time, not so much. We landed tail end first & went end over end three times before rolling down the side. The only wheel still attached to the car was the front right that was pinned between the hood & windshield. We never did find the engine.

... driving in The Big Apple is a different kinda' experience - went to art school there in the late 60s - that alone was an experience of a lifetime, diving was too.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...diving was too.

You should NEVER get into the Hudson. Laughing

But yes, NYC streets do not have lane markers, it's a big fu*#ing free-for-all. The only way to catch all the lights green is to do about 65-70 while dodging potholes, taxis, potholes, & bike messengers. Did I mention potholes? That was the first place where I saw ConEd crews dig a hole, make repairs to whatever under the street & then bolt 4'x8' 1" steel plate over the top of it & there it stayed for the next year or so.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
...diving was too.

You should NEVER get into the Hudson. Laughing

... meant "driving" - that's too funny. Thanks for the chuckle
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

used it as a getaway car for a "friend" that was robbing a grocery store.

I didnt know what he was doing at the time, he came running out with the employees and security chasing him. He jumped in screaming GO GO GO,so I took off.
not my proudest moment, but definitely the dumbest thing I've ever done in a VW

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:

I didnt know what he was doing at the time, he came running out with the employees and security chasing him. He jumped in screaming GO GO GO,so I took off.

... you musta' got caught as VWs are pretty slow... wouldda' been better to be in the NSX that day.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

The dumbest thing I did in a vw.
1982, Driving to church. Took my eye's off the road to give a red 240Z a good look. There was a Dasher in front of me that I thought was moving. It wasn't. The driver was sitting at a red light partially hidden by a large tree with his foot off the brake pedal.When I returned my attention to the road. I was 10' off his rear bumper.
I rear ended him at 30mph.

That was my first 67. I miss that car!
We went everywhere in it. From the Orange county coast to Parker Az.
Orange county coast to Mammoth Mountain to go snow ski.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

In about 1994 I bought an '85 GTI with 250k miles on it. I paid $975 and it had a tire plug in the side wall of the front right tire from a shanking at the corner lot. I drove that car for two years- vowing never to fix the tire (a Falken low profile) and I never changed the oil. I drove it at the limits of it's abilities numerous times and acted like it and I were invincible. It was to prove a point that I could flog a car, have fun and not invest an extra dime while in college. It was a great and absolutely reliable car and I sold it for $1500.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:

I'd say your bigger mistake was your choice of friend!
Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did with your VW?? Reply with quote

mikec4193 wrote:
So what was the dumbest thing you ever did with your VW??

Girlfriend wanted to do Easter picnic with her family up at Lake Pleasant, northwest of Phoenix, she had vague directions to their picnic site. It had rained a bit that spring, the lake was high, and at one place the dirt trail was actually covered by a corner of the lake, estimate 1.5 feet high. So I drove the VW through that, to the picnic.

On the way back, at that place, VW got stuck in the lake, engine running, bubbles coming out of tailpipe (single exhaust), I was afraid to shut off the engine. A few minutes later a truckful of guys helped me lift the VW hind end over a couple of feet, and I was able to back out of the lake and then choose a slightly deeper route through where the footing was better, and drove through.

mikec4193 wrote:
So what was the dumbest thing you ever did in your VW??

A 16 year old girlfriend lowered her pants and panties around one of her ankles and climbed on top of me. Yes - I've gotten new upholstery since then....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did with your VW?? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

A 16 year old girlfriend lowered her pants and panties around one of her ankles and climbed on top of me. Yes - I've gotten new upholstery since then....

Cusser always has the best stories.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

I have "heard" that smoking dope with a car full of people until a match wont stay lit because of lack of oxygen is not a smart thing to do........ Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Dumbest thing I ever did was pay $200.00 for my 1970 Karmann Ghia.
$16,000 and 24 years later...

It just doesn’t stop. There are still so many things I think can be better.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Back in '78, I was driving my recently painted '57 from a baseball game my friends and I were playing, going too fast, slid around a corner, then the rear tires grabbed and launched me into a parked car! Wasted my left front fender, hood, headlight. Only bent the hubcap on the parked car. Mom was NOT happy when I pulled into the driveway...
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

My first 66 was my daily driver and I used it to deliver pizzas and get to and from work and school. It was not roadworthy. Braking required furious pumping of the pedal and I actually had a catastrophic ball joint failure WHILE DRIVING.

I did learn bit by bit to fix things on the car, and it was in much better shape when I drove it head-on into a tree about a year later after losing traction on a tight curve. Tires never quite made the list...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Back in the early '70s when I was young and dumb, I would put chains on the rear tires of my Beetle and follow the 4x4 guys around after a major snow storm. Much to their annoyance I could go anywhere they went as long as their diffs broke the center of the trail so I wouldn't get high centered.

Then I got the idea I could follow the snowmobiles down on the river. There was 2 to 3 feet of snow down there that the sleds had packed the first 3" of. My reasoning was that as long as I didn't hot shoe it and break through that crust I could do it and it did work although there was a few close calls on soft spots that speed was the thing that took me through!

When I look back on it now it was in the days long before cell phones, I was many miles up the river where no one knew where I had gone and it was -30F!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The dumbest thing you ever did in your VW?? Reply with quote

Ooh ooh - I got this:

Circa 1990 - Sunday night - finished up working on something with the car, put the tools away and went to bed. The car sat for 6-months or so without being driven.

6-months later, I say to myself, "I need to fire up that car and take it for a spin." I get about 3 blocks from home and go around a corner heading down a long steep hill. I feel the back end wobble funny, then "ka-plump", and I watch my left rear tire pass the car and bounce about 1/2 mile down the road into the oncoming lane. I sat there holding my breath waiting for the carnage. Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic, and the tire finally wobbled over into the shoulder and fell over.

So 6 months prior, I must have had the tires off for some reason, and I was tired, so I just finger tightened the lug nuts before letting the car down on the ground and calling it a night. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: