Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:
anyone missing a cat?

Type 1's don't have CAT's, silly!

:p

Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Too newb to comment, but old enough to know this is learning opportunity gold! #FollowTheOilyDripRoad
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Wow - advanced engine diagnostics (a cat scan)...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Wow, cat-astrophe avoided Very Happy

I'll let myself out... Razz
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Mispeld wrote:
Wow, cat-astrophe avoided Very Happy

I'll let myself out... Razz

LMAO
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Generator/alternator noise? something is rubbing against the pulley? is the oil filler lid on?

Does the noise stop when the clutch is depressed?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

jack under the bus being dragged around?

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2016/10/25/why-joey-loganos-jack-stuck-to-his-car/
yoyorob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

total newb here....i’ve always paid someone to do the mechanicals on my aircooleds....that being said i love your teaching approach.

is it possible you’ve got a some oil the fan belt during your oil change?

saw you set up at at pomona but was too busy/excited hunting parts to stop and introduce myself....
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
Generator/alternator noise? something is rubbing against the pulley? is the oil filler lid on?

Does the noise stop when the clutch is depressed?

Nothing I can see is different about the generator pulley...

The noise doesn’t change based on clutch actuation, which is why I don’t think it’s in the clutch...

Robbie’s notes: excellent question!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

yoyorob wrote:
total newb here....i’ve always paid someone to do the mechanicals on my aircooleds....that being said i love your teaching approach.

is it possible you’ve got a some oil the fan belt during your oil change?

saw you set up at at pomona but was too busy/excited hunting parts to stop and introduce myself....

Thanks for the kind words Smile

It’s possible SOME oil made its way onto the belt. How would you approach this from an Internet diagnostic perspective?

Robbie’s notes: that’s not the solution, but keep the questions coming! And PLEASE say hi next time! I was scouting the swap for about an hour and got $80 worth of NLA parts for $10 Smile it’s hard to miss my orange shirt/bus/banner/table/flyers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Please post a good quality sound clip of this sound, and confirm you did nothing other than change the oil, and that it is not something rubbing on the fan, belt, or alternator.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Mispeld wrote:
Did you fill it with WD-40, not 10W-40? Surprised

No, but Ratwell said I should be using 20w50 instead of 10w40, and my uncle said use 30w so I compromised.

So..... what weight oil did you compromise with?
Did you add up 10W40 + 20W50 + 30W and come up with 60W90??
Bet that would change the engine noise. Laughing

(And thanks from me for the delivery service, too!)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

I don't think we've heard back regarding an inspection of the fan inlet. Please inspect and let us know if you find a foreign object in the fan, or wires, hoses, or tarboard in or near the inlet.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I don't think we've heard back regarding an inspection of the fan inlet. Please inspect and let us know if you find a foreign object in the fan, or wires, hoses, or tarboard in or near the inlet.

engine off please. Hamburger hands are quite uncomfortable. If the spinning fan belt doesn't pull you in first.
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Hmmm…

Okay, Sven and I (Regular Emma) have a few additional questions. Sorry if we accidentally repeat something that has been asked/answered.

We don’t think you could have messed anything up badly by not changing the strainer….just if there’s gunk in there you didn’t get it out, so it won’t have improved all that much from before the oil change. Do that next time. And have the gaskets, in addition to those copper washers, ready when you do, or you might end up leaking all over Canada.

Our first questions are:

1) Was this sound happening before the oil change? Or did it start only after that?

asiab3 wrote:

The noise is loudest when the engine spins down, like when shifting or revving at a stoplight. Volume depends on engine speed, so I don't think it's in the shift mechanism.

2) Does volume depend on ENGINE speed, or VEHICLE speed? Is it like a sharp, periodic noise or is it there all the time/constant, when the engine is running? Specifically, is it there when idling the car in the garage, or does it only happen when the car is MOVING?

If it is only there when the car is moving, but not in the garage, I would guess its not an engine issue. “Growl” or “hum” sounds like wheel bearings to me. This doesn’t at all explain revving at a stoplight, but it would if it happens while shifting to turn after said stoplight. Have you done swerve tests (in which one listens for the offending sound when taking curves in one direction or the other to see if it gets more prominent) to make sure that’s not it? (I guess not, if you’re not driving it…but if you get your courage up give it a go just for fun…maybe you will realize you also have that problem Razz Our Bus only ever has 50 problems at a time..) (Disclaimer: Sven doesn’t think this is it, but I think we should check Wink ).

3) We also want to make sure there is nothing caught in your fan housing. Please check that.

….I don’t think the cat is likely (otherwise the symptoms would include Robbie sneezing). Are you sure it doesn't sound like a squirrel got in your engine instead? I’ve heard the Idiot’s Guide says you should look for those sometimes…. Razz

Saludos from Cozumel! Lucky for us, our bus brains are in the same country for this week’s question Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Robbie if you do find a squirrel is behind this brazen attack here is a simple book that will help:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember that here in California only DFG can give you a depredation permit to rid yourself of a gray tree squirrel. If you live in a city or county where you may not discharge a firearm, drowning is not allowed if you catch the little sob. The proper method, until the law changes again is to smother the sob in a CO2 chamber. Nor can you let the cat or dog remove the sob. DFG will want many photos of the squirrel and damage as well as the GPS co-ordinates of the car along with their application. If it is a red squirrel, or a California Ground squirrel then the laws are generally more lax but do check the local handbook. DFG will advise you that you cannot relocate it either unless you want to spend your life in prison. Please go to https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/ for information applicable to your situation. In the meantime please advise if you left an oil bottle in the back and it now resides in the fan.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Hmmmm...engine spinning down is a high vacuum condition...
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

squirrel's cheeks would be flapping more then.

Quick let's all get up and play. The teacher has left the room.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Abscate wrote:

squirrel's cheeks would be flapping more then.

Quick let's all get up and play. The teacher has left the room.

It’s like high school Spanish lessons, they didn’t help in Mexico
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Air-Schooled Games - 3 - newbies only! Reply with quote

If the teacher is 15 minutes late, we're legally allowed to leave.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: