Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much free play on clutch pedal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Hello,
i been trying to adjust my clutch cable all day. the adjusting nut is almost screw all the way plus the bearing i can feel it is about 1\4 inch away from the clutch to top it off i have 3 inch play on the pedal. I been searching everywhere but i keep hitting a wall. any suggestions?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Pull the cable and have a look at it. Probably starting to go..
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

hows the Bowden tube?
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

forgot to mention is a new cable with clip and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
hows the Bowden tube?

bowden is the curve tube ? is the same i had before
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

did you hold the cables side by side before replacing it? There have been many different length cables on buses and more than one thread here where the same thing has happened to someone else. Post what year the bus is and what the cable length is on the package.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

I use a socket I found on the road as a spacer because the cable is too long. The wing nut sort of sits in the square of the socket.
It needs adjustment every 1k miles or so as the entire socket will rotate as the clutch is worked.
Do I carry a replacement cable, wing nut and clip? Oh yeah.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my clutch adjustment. I replaced the cable, the bowden tube and still not enough adjustment. I ended up using nuts as spacers. You can put a spacer on the bowden tube to try and see if that helps, but for sure using spacers in front of the wing nut helps. It seems that all the calbes are too long.
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:
I had the same problem with my clutch adjustment. I replaced the cable, the bowden tube and still not enough adjustment. I ended up using nuts as spacers. You can put a spacer on the bowden tube to try and see if that helps, but for sure using spacers in front of the wing nut helps. It seems that all the calbes are too long.

At this point i'll try anything, i will do it in the morning I hope it will help.
thanks
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

I always used a lug nut between the arm and wing nut. Make sure you have the correct bend in the bowden tube but no more, those that stack washer to achieve more bend do nothing but shorten the life of the cable and the bowden tube.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

rottenkid wrote:

That’s a total Mexicali fix, might be good as a temporary solution but I wouldn’t run that for long. Better to buy the right cable.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ALOHA 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

Do you know how long is a good cable?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

O'reilley's has several different cables available. When I needed a cable I had them get one of each of the ones they listed and kept the shortest one returning the others. I ordered a spare of the one that worked. Sorry don't have the brand available at this moment.
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much free play on clutch pedal Reply with quote

ALOHA 72 wrote:
Do you know how long is a good cable?

According to airheadparts.com:
72-79 cable 3215mm
68-71 cable 3200mm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: