Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Bosch platinum plugs suck & will foul quickly in an aircooled application.

I've been running a set of these for 4-5 years.. not because it's my plug of choice, but it was what the local FLAPS had on hand. I've heard the electrodes can break off and bounce around the cylinder though. I figured I'd change them out next plug change, but they haven't been out of the engine since I put them in.
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Your right I did miss that reply earlier. The backfire is mainly coming out the right side exhaust. After tinkering a bit and letting it idle I felt the dual exhaust and the passenger side was putting out a significant less bit of exhaust than driver's side. Spark plugs were black as can be and have never even seen a load yet only tuning in the garage. I took the linkage off the right side and opened the idle set screw a half turn them out the linkage back on and it made a significant difference. Is it possible if one carb is running too rich it will bleed over to the other one via the balance tube?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Short.logger515 wrote:
Your right I did miss that reply earlier. The backfire is mainly coming out the right side exhaust. After tinkering a bit and letting it idle I felt the dual exhaust and the passenger side was putting out a significant less bit of exhaust than driver's side. Spark plugs were black as can be and have never even seen a load yet only tuning in the garage. I took the linkage off the right side and opened the idle set screw a half turn them out the linkage back on and it made a significant difference. Is it possible if one carb is running too rich it will bleed over to the other one via the balance tube?

Yes.

That backfiring out the exhaust is when the mixture is too rick. Popping out the carb is too lean.

Black sooty plugs is too rich.

When I trouble shoot cars I always start with basics. Valve adjust and oil change.
warm it up and do a compression check.
From that point I move forwards based off of that information.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

How many thousands of miles would you consider to be "quickly?"

I regularly saw failures at 3,000-5,000 miles ( Which was about 1,000 miles more than a fu*%ing Split-Fire.) in CIS,CIS-E, Digifant, & Motronic equipped watercooled cars & determined that the "cheap" copper core plugs were best for these applications which run much leaner than the aircooled cars. If you just have to piss your money away on platinum plugs, I would suggest NGK.

Maybe I just experienced a "bad batch" over a 15-20 span, I will say that I will never again use a Bosch platinum spark plug for anything other than temporarily plugging a vacuum leak.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Ive never fouled one. perhaps there were deeper issues with your exp....some things cant be fixed. air cooled has nothing at all to do with fouling plugs... the ones in my bug probably have over 100000 miles on them..as this set were in my 1874 before the 2028.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Ive never fouled one. perhaps there were deeper issues with your exp....some things cant be fixed. air cooled has nothing at all to do with fouling plugs... the ones in my bug probably have over 100000 miles on them..as this set were in my 1874 before the 2028.

This wasn't on my car, these were about 200-300 customer's cars that either I or other shops or even the customers had purchased after the typical FLAPS "would you like to upgrade to these?", had installed the plugs.

This was also around the time when VW & Audi quit using Bosch, I figured it couldn't be a coincidence.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I have at least 12,000 miles on my current set, in a VW. Not exactly sure. I never think about them and don't really keep track.

Put at least 80,000 on the last set ... until a rod started knocking.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VW recommended changing the stock plugs every 12,000 miles. The platinum plugs last much longer than that for me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Ok guys do I've checked the float bowls they have the big washers so they fill up less. Accelerator pumps backed all the way off so they barely work timing set at 12 btdc idle and 33 fill advance anything less the backfiring gets worse and I'm still running too rich and getting backfiring. Any other ideas? I haven't checked compression but as stated before I'm confident it's good seeing as how it runs like a raped ape when it gets to higher rpm. Any other ideas? Valves perfect at .006.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Try checking your fuel pressure with a gauge to see if your regulator is actually working.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Short.logger515 wrote:

#1 or #2 exhaust valve stuck closed.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Short.logger515 wrote:

Or maybe, incorrect firing order.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Compression check warm. What are the numbers?

Points block rub. Is it lubed? Use the right grease!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Short.logger515 wrote:

Or maybe, incorrect firing order.

Kindly explain how this would be applicable if either of those theories were correct:
Quote:
I haven't checked compression but as stated before I'm confident it's good seeing as how it runs like a raped ape when it gets to higher rpm.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

My theory was based on just the last post showing that there was less exhaust flow from the right bank. Laughing

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Kindly explain how this would be applicable if either of those theories were correct:
Quote:
I haven't checked compression but as stated before I'm confident it's good seeing as how it runs like a raped ape when it gets to higher rpm.

Because a raped ape wouldn't be able to run very well at all... Question

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

it is fouling the plug thingys.there is a reason for it doing so, fix that and you should be good to go.
as for the platinums Ive only used a few hundrad sets and had 1 that had a issue. a chevy caprice that got the dog shit run out of it all the time and detonated a lot, the owners son was a exspurt. 1 plug lost a electrode. FYI most any plug cam loose a electrode.Ive seen lots of plugs with them missing. the only engine Ive ever seen them not run good in is my YZ250 2stroke. it wont hit a lick.not even a fart.
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

So scratch everything guys I have pretty much come to the conclusion that this motor is pretty much a boat anchor it cannot and will not run properly or even at all I got 12 minutes of use out of it at the sand. I'm tired of fighting it I'm going to a 2.2 ecotec 😊. Screw this VW motor! But thank u for your guys help anyhow but I'm done with it. Anybody wanna buy a 1600 DP? Has kadrons and dual exhaust!
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

I knew it was that damned Empi carb all along. Laughing

-Frank
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
I knew it was that damned Empi carb all along. Laughing

-Frank

No it wasn't. It was low compression, coupled with over 2psi fuel pressure! He needed to get the fuel pressure way down. Maybe 1.5psi. But that would only work a few months at best, because the engine is well used!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Hey Jim, you missed my subtle humor there. I'm actually a pretty big advocate for those 34 picts from Empi, myself.

-Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: