Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake down - please help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

The pumps I’ve seen don’t come apart. You can run them backwards by swapping wires but this might harm the impeller
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

If you get a fuel pressure regulator, and have a spare pump and filter then when the filter gets clogged or the pump dies, you can simply put the new one on and grab a new spare at the next FLAPS. It'll get you through the trip "no problem"
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Thank you Spike for the cheer up! I really want to take the Bus. I have been around the forum ever since I bought the bus. I have watched all the people taking different approach - look at eche_bus. I learnt so much from him and always envy the jobs he did. But hey he spent years building his bus to perfection and yet never took it out for a road trip only to sell it later. I think it is important to drive the buses and use them as they were intended.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Martaskukla wrote:
Thank you Spike for the cheer up! I really want to take the Bus. I have been around the forum ever since I bought the bus. I have watched all the people taking different approach - look at eche_bus. I learnt so much from him and always envy the jobs he did. But hey he spent years building his bus to perfection and yet never took it out for a road trip only to sell it later. I think it is important to drive the buses and use them as they were intended.

Agreed! I spent way too long not driving mine because I ripped right into "restoring" it. I wish I had just driven it and patched it with road signs and crap. Laughing

(k, maybe not that bad of repairs, but you get the idea lol)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Martaskukla wrote:
You see this just makes me so sad. I was so excited for this trip and worked hard last year and half to put it in some reasonable condition for this trip. I do not think I will have another chance to do it anytime soon cause of life schedule.

Taking our daily driver is the other option but as you all know half of the fun will be gone.

Trust me... I know exactly how you feel. Two days ago we came home from a truly epic road trip: Up the west coast from San Francisco then into the Seattle area, up to Canada inland, across to Vancouver, BC, then onto Victoria, Olympic NP, then down the coast to Portland and home. Thirteen days of No Scene Twice Seen roadtrippin' in my favorite part of the Northwest.

In the Honda.

Just making coffee with the camp stove tucked away in the roof pod was a pain in the ass.

But... the decision (wisely, probably) to NOT take the SuperCoolSoAwesome 1987 Westfalia was due to my concern over a transmission leak and a sloppy Final Drive. That was a tough decision to make.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Sounds like pretty awesome trip! Funny how you guys travel up and we go down the coast :] I have got one month to do it. Salt lake city, followed by southern Utah, Arizona, Los Angeles and up the coast back to Vancouver.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Next time, I want to travel up the BC coast. In 1987, I took a sleeping compartment on the Canadian train from Vancouver to Toronto and camped one night in Banff. That was a hugely memorable trip.

On this trip,while waiting and traveling on various ferries, we met three different Canadian couples and a small band of youngsters in their own '87 Westy at Victoria heading to Oregon. You folks sure are friendly and helpful!

On the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles I learned of poutine. Looks great for a hangover!

I think I still have another fuel injected gas tank that I treated with POR-15. If you're interested, let me know.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Break down - please help Reply with quote

PM sent...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

If you read my latest road trip saga,
You will hear a very angry old man ranting about how it’s not worth it!

There is something to be said about taking a trip where you don’t worry the whole time if you are going to break.
Much less, having to deal with something breaking... Rolling Eyes

It can be done,
But, it’s harder than you might think..

Only anyone who thinks they got it should go for it.

IMHO..

What’s That Noise?!?
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake down - please help Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
If you read my latest road trip saga,
You will hear a very angry old man ranting about how it’s not worth it!

There is something to be said about taking a trip where you don’t worry the whole time if you are going to break.
Much less, having to deal with something breaking... Rolling Eyes

It can be done,
But, it’s harder than you might think..

Only anyone who thinks they got it should go for it.

IMHO..

Have to agree with this....

I see to many folks looking to do it in an old 45+ year old bus only to find out that they have little to no mechanical skill/s and a realization that there are not many shops willing to even work on these vehicles. And we haven't even got into the parts availability these days (when road tripping).
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: