Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyWill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Use the pressure plate from the "shot" engine, if that one worked fine.

Worked like a charm. Very Happy
z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I wish I saw this thread a week ago. First time owning a beetle and I have definelty learned to buy parts for the beetle you own not the beetle how it was stock. I have a 71+ engine, but the original trans. SO what did I do? Buy a 71+ clutch kit. Installed it and magically it even drove for a bit. Now I'm dropping the engine again and using the old pressure plate.

Correct PP
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Incorrect:

z33taxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Tips on inspecting PP?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

z33taxi wrote:
Tips on inspecting PP?

I'd say pretty much limited to checking the working surface, should be pretty smooth with no big grooves or burn marks. The center ring should be straight, not out of whack.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

How do you remove the centering ring?

Photos of my PP.

73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
z33taxi wrote:
Tips on inspecting PP?

I'd say pretty much limited to checking the working surface, should be pretty smooth with no big grooves or burn marks. The center ring should be straight, not out of whack.

Yes I had one that was out of wack so I simply reinstall some wack and wadda ya know I’m back on the road.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:
How do you remove the centering ring?

On the inside of the PP (as pictured above) the dark colored ring is a large "starlock" similar to this, but larger:

It is pressed onto the outer ring which passes thru the center of the diaphragm. Using a screwdriver, pry it off from the inside and you can then slip the outer ring off the diaphragm.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Bus had no engine and the PO put in a centering sleeve but left the old clutch shaft for the bearing. I want to take off the centering sleeve and use the pressure plate style with the ring. Does the sleeve unbolt and will taking it off affect the seal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pogel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I found out that you can unbolt the sleeve. However I left it on and used the correct arm, throw out bearing and ring less clutch.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Hey Glenn, it looks like your “late” pictures are no longer showing up in the original post.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Hey Glenn, it looks like your “late” pictures are no longer showing up in the original post.

I can see those today.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Must be my phone then. If you look in the “quote” portion of the images, the early ones are samba gallery links, while the late ones are from Glenn’s personal site.
DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I did the old to new style conversion last year(CSP). I boke the clutchfork for the second time(Stage2 clutch..) so i decided to install the stronger version arm and do this upgrade. All went well and clutch was perfectly fine afterwards.

But after 1500 miles i got a massive tranny oil leak and suspect my mail shaft is leaking badly. The oil was coming from the bellhousing and the rest of the tranny is clean. It's definitly gearbox oil, it has a very distinctive smell and taste.

I suspected the sleeve to got loose, i've seen a picture of that happening. But all is well and tighty.

I'm not sure what could be the issue right now. The bellhousing was soaked with oil and i'm lucky the clutch kept working.

Only thing i can think of is the main shaft seal went bad. I think there is one inside the sleeve? I forgot what it looked liked inside. I had to order a puller to get the sleeve off so haven't looked inside just yet. Why would a seal go bad this quick??

I really want to address this before I put the engine back.. Hope someone can point me in any direction?

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

You need to determine whether the leak is engine oil or fear oil from the transmission. Gear oil has a distinctive smell.

Most leaks from that area are from the crankshaft/flywheel oil seal and flywheel O-ring; oftentimes too much engine endplay is involved.
DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I was able to get the sleeve off. All looks fine to me but I will source another seal for it. Weird..

DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
You need to determine whether the leak is engine oil or fear oil from the transmission. Gear oil has a distinctive smell.

Most leaks from that area are from the crankshaft/flywheel oil seal and flywheel O-ring; oftentimes too much engine endplay is involved.

It's gearbox oil as i stated. No doubt about it.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

While you have the engine out, take some time to look for cracks in the transmission case there in the bell housing. Rare, but possible after decades. I'm pretty sure you could use a propane torch to warm up the case surface and look for weeping oil. Though, I've never tried it on the transmission case.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I think I found my issue. The new shaft doesn't seat deep enough. The circlip didn't hold the arm in place causing it to move sideways when operating the clutch. That causes the seal to open up and leak. I will be reinstalling the system and shave some of the copper bush installed in the startermotor side to get the shaft in place properly. Right now it just wont go deeper.

DJ Pierre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

I think it's fixed now. The brass bearing sits quite differtent than original, quess that's is what went wrong. I can't say i like the way the arm sits right now but the spring appears to stay in place just fine. All works smooth and sits nicely centered. Should do it!

These are some mockup shots, the end result is better of couse.. I'm thinking of shimming the brass bearing and using a spacer to get it all line-up(and look) a bit better. Not pleased with this fit as is...
revhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clutches - what pressure plate with what throwout bearing Reply with quote

This thread is great. So I’m going through on early 65 trans setup with a 68 engine. I owned this since 1984 but it’s been sitting since 93.

As you can see it has the old style parts and a 9 spring heavy duty pressure plate (from a bus at the time I think). This setup was great and I’d like to keep it.

While rusty the pp looks ok and springs are all still ok. Looking for specs on pp thickness as well as flywheel thickness to consider just resurfacing. Obviously the clutch disk will be replaced. Since these parts don’t mix well and I’d really like to keep the 9 spring this might be best if possible.

🙏

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: