Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison + Plasma/PCD info
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison + Plasma/PCD info Reply with quote

If you ever wondered what the actual difference looks like, here it is.

Video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaLQpwMqqX0

1. In the video, first you see Bosch blue, Taylor Spiro Pro wires, resister rotor, and resister plugs on points system.
2. Then you see same system, just changing to non-resister plugs.
3. Next, you see a non resister plug fired by MSD Blaster SS, Solid core wires, non resister rotor on mag pickup distributor.

4. Next, you see the bosch blue/resister setup trying to jump a gap. Picture below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5. Finally, you see the MSD BlasterSS, Solid core wires, Non resister rotor/mag pickup system jumping a gap. Picture below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jpaull on Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Blue vs MSD Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

omg this cant be true!!!! your doing some kind of foto shop thingy!!! no way the msd coil can beat the borsche blew coil!!! it cant happpen!!! it just cant !!! so...can we just paint the msd coil and add a borsh sticker Shocked Rolling Eyes so how much power did your dyno show bewteen the two?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Blue vs MSD Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

It’s not that simple. You just can’t change the primary resistance of a coil that much without making accommodations inside the module or points to support it.

I would like to see this compared to a more modern COP and wasted spark coil
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Blue vs MSD Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
omg this cant be true!!!! your doing some kind of foto shop thingy!!! no way the msd coil can beat the borsche blew coil!!! it cant happpen!!! it just cant !!! so...can we just paint the msd coil and add a borsh sticker Shocked Rolling Eyes so how much power did your dyno show bewteen the two?

I edited the title, cause its not really a coil vs coil test, im showing what the difference in a upgraded ignition can make.

The point is to show a difference that people can see. And your thinking about the Blaster2(canister). I used the BlasterSS(square coil)which is a totally different coil that is more powerful.

Last edited by jpaull on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Blue vs MSD Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
It’s not that simple. You just can’t change the primary resistance of a coil that much without making accommodations inside the module or points to support it.

I would like to see this compared to a more modern COP and wasted spark coil

Of course. Im showing the difference that can be acheived from a upgraded ignition system. People talk all day about one or the other, but how many people show a example?
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Back when MSD first originated a performance speed shop here had an MSD advertising display which allowed users to transition in and out of an MSD 6A box in a visual way. The results were visually and audibly dramatic. And it sold me on the technology and it has always worked for me.

We ran a variety of engines, some on methanol and one on a 25% nitro-methanol mix, which is harder to light than race gas, and never had a problem.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I don't think anyone will deny that updating ignition is a good thing, however getting components that play nicely together and reliably seems to be issue/challenge....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Never had any issues with my HEI setup, until the 3yr old coil failed a couple of weeks ago, I put the 40yr old coil back in and it has been fine since then. And just bought a 65,000V coil on ebay...
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Good work.

It would also be neat to see a packaged ready to go high power set-up like the CB Magnaspark.

Next up..... dyno testing of each!!

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Good work.

It would also be neat to see a packaged ready to go high power set-up like the CB Magnaspark.

Next up..... dyno testing of each!!

Brian

I have a complete magnaspark distributor kit also, yes that will be next😁😁😁
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I was messen with ya and all the gotta have the blue coil guys...and for the guys that have to have the good old orange spark!!! Rolling Eyes
Maddward
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Great visual! Thanks jpaull
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Maddward wrote:
Great visual! Thanks jpaull

Glad it helps!
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Very cool....thanks Jeff.....now I must buy a Blaster....not!(yet anyway)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I don't think anyone will deny that updating ignition is a good thing, however getting components that play nicely together and reliably seems to be issue/challenge....

Dale

Exactly. This is after all the coil the OP CANNOT run on his car.

You can go get a coil for $8 at the salvage yard that will put out nearly as much spark. The tricky part is getting to use it without being stranded
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Dale M. wrote:

Dale

Exactly. This is after all the coil the OP CANNOT run on his car.

You can go get a coil for $8 at the salvage yard that will put out nearly as much spark. The tricky part is getting to use it without being stranded

Not true. I can run that coil with my magnaspark distributor, my msd distributor with msd box, or my 009 with msd box.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Very cool....thanks Jeff.....now I must buy a Blaster....not!(yet anyway)

You might check with Fred, I bet the winterburn can fire the Blaster or other high power coil just fine.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

I'll do that....mostly out of curiosity. No question that the spark is a LOT HOTTER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Let us know what you find Norris. Haven't wired up my winter burn yet, but would love to run a high power coil with my 010, or blue screamer and winter burn unit on my 2276
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded ignition Spark Comparison (video included) Reply with quote

Just emailed Fred. I'm thinking he'll tell me a hotter coil than my Bosch would be redundant with his CDI.....we'll see soon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: