Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Engine Number Identification
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
booyah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

Looking for help identifying the year of mfg for this motor. It does have a Mohawk Motor Mfg tag on it so may have been rebuilt. It is a crank start.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

1223223 would be November, 1955 but only if it had a -20- (Bus) or a -1- (Beetle) in front of it

Example, last engine # from 11/55: 20-1 245 382

It might be a replacement case that someone simply stamped a number into, it possibly even replaced engine 20-1223223

You could look at the left side of the generator stand for the engine case production dates for an idea of the case.
Info thread here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380362

I see you have a '58?
Other than that, it generally looks like a '58 engine would look, except for the 59-60 style fuel pump with the filter on top

Can you post a close up photo of the Mohawk Motor Mfg tag?
I'd like to check it out
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
booyah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

Here are a few more pics. The serial number on the Mohawk tag is stamped upside down on the case.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

I can't tell for sure but that company or someone in the past may also have ground off the original number and re-stamped the number that is on there.

I see the company stamped their own number that matches the tag underneath the regular serial # area too.
Upside down though, that is a bit weird to me
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
booyah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

That being said, what would be a range of correct engine numbers for a dec 23 1958 built single cab.
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

Hey Wayne,

Engine numbers were marked the same for beetle and bus at that time. This is what you can glean from Progressive Refinements:

http://oacdp.org/progref4061/k005.jpg
12/08/1958 engine # 2680764

http://oacdp.org/progref4061/m018.jpg
12/30/1958 engine # 2718443

This may be the closest info you can get.

Extrapolated not taking into account off days approximately 2706454 ±1713 units per day.
booyah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Engine Number Identification Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks for the information. I will post an ad to see if I can find a motor in this number range. There is also a guy in SK with a single cab built on the same day. I will see if his motor is original. Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: