Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

College Car (stored since mid 80's) is now up for restoration. Looking for guidance on restoration plan. Later model (non-split) trans-axle and non-matching 36. Pan and body matching. The car has never been repainted (black/red interior). Little rust (in Oklahoma for at least 40 years). Goal: original look restoration. Feel free to weigh in on any topic.

Questions:
- How important to valuation is the original paint color and interior? (I am not a fan of black)
- Is finding and installing an original "crash box" trans-axle a major valuation issue?
- Considering upgrading bolt on type improvements such as: 12 volt, front disk brakes, later trans- axle, larger brake master cylinder, higher performance 1.2L engine (probably dual port heads and dual carbs).

Comments, opinions, criticism, and accusations of insanity welcome.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Update 18 August

Message received, leave as original as possible (bolt on vintage speed arguably OK). Retain as much original finish as possible (yet to be determined and subject to a new post).

Response to Wheel607 really good questions:

Can you truthfully answer these questions:
When did you buy the car?

55rover: 1980, friend of a friend had car. I had sold my high school VW dune buggy project a while back and had the knowledge to help him with a few engine problems (I rebuilt his carburetor). I thought it was a cool vintage car at that time.

How much did you pay for the car?

55rover:Bought it for more than it sold for new but less than $1,000 (all I had at the time). I think it was $800. I probably overpaid, I got a lot of grief from my wife (Note: I still have the VW, I have a new wife)

How much are you willing to spend on the car?

55rover: Unknown at this point, with the value of the car north of $20k in a restored condition, some number less than that would be rational.

What are your plans for the final example?

55rover: Maximize the value of a great example of German engineering and make it interesting, attractive and fun.

Are you in it just for a buck?

55rover: I can't imagine making enough on this car to make a long term difference. That being said, I wouldn't want to put money into it that would decrease the ultimate value. That would be dumb.

How much do I think it will be worth when I finish (whatever I do )

55vover: I would like it to be worth equal to or more than I put into it, whatever that number may be.

You may think these questions frivilous, but answering TRUTHFULLY may help you consider if this is the right VW for you.

55rover: Thanks for the feedback!

Update August 20

After posting on a restoration plan, many member comments questioning how much of the original paint was remaining. After 34 years in storage, I couldn't remember. Below are the results of spraying down the body (currently removed from matching frame) and on a roll around base. Honestly, a lot of the original finish is there. The only visible repairs are the front fenders and deck lid (pretty poorly done by previous owner). All the rest of the finish appears original. There are commensurate dings and dents. One good one on the passenger rear quarter panel. Rust is minimal, the only area notable is the spare tire well and it is surface only. A little hail damage while I owned it. Dents in hood and trim and punched holes in the rag top. After a complete frame clean, suspension, trans-axle restoration the body is going back on as is. Interior is shot and will be replaced.

Questions:
- Thoughts about repainting the fenders only?
- Clear coat the car?
- Any other "OG" tips?

Update Aug 27

Goal for rebuild

1955 VW Deluxe Ragtop Coupe

This VW was part of a short year production where new models started in August, 1955 (1956 models) instead of calendar year changeover. This is a USA export model with unique bullet turn signals, hydraulic brakes and the unique three-fold ragtop that makes the car effectively a convertible. The car body is in original condition (“OG”) as much of the finish remains. Much of the interior is also original. The top and headliner is a restoration. The matching number chassis was removed, stripped and completely restored with several bolt on improvements for safety and drivability.

The car, when acquired in 1982 did not have the original 1.2L 36hp engine or “split case” swing axle transmission. Currently in its place is a later model 1960’s “tunnel” swing axle transmission with synchromesh gears, higher speed gearing and the ability to handle vintage performance engines up to 100 hp. No modification of the pan was made for this substitution.

Two engines are available for this car. One, a stock 1955 year 1.2L engine producing the original 36hp that is installed to show this car as it appeared and performed in 1955.

The second engine mainly used for touring is a later 1959 36hp block with many vintage performance enhancements. The engine displacement has been increased to 1.5L with an increased bore and stroke. Vintage performance dual port heads and dual carburetors increase the performance to an estimated 80hp.

The car has been converted from 6v to 12v for increased headlight and taillight performance along with being more practical for driving. A vintage 1950’s Porsche 356 12v high amperage generator allows for an unchanged look in the engine compartment.

The front brakes have been converted from drum to disk brakes (again bolt on modification). The brake master cylinder was replaced from a single to a dual master cylinder with a higher capacity fluid volume. This is also a major brake safety improvement.

The car cruises comfortably at 70mph (with vintage hot rod engine) and is a blast to drive.

Last edited by 55rover on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the more you change the car from stock the more value will be negatively affected and the tougher it will be to sell should you decide too. The exception being vintage speed. Truth, if that is og paint wash that shit down and see what you've got. It looks very promising. That will add value if it cleans up well. Same holds with your interior if it's as nice as that panel in the photo. With a non original case vintage speed may be the way to go.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Seems to be a cool car that should not be completely restored... it looks like there isn't much welding necessary and you could keep that og. paint. That's a big plus and many guys dream about a genuine 3 fold og. paint car.
Don't worry about the "crash box", you don't need this rare and expensive part as they were only used on split bugs and Standards.
In the end, it's your car and your decision, but many people (including myself) would get sad to hear that the car was repainted Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Don't paint it !!!!
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

That looks very, very promising!
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I'm not so sure that is original paint, it sure looks like clear coat flaking on the hood and roof in front of the rag top. Or maybe it's just dirt rings. Wash it and post up some pics. I personally love a black car with red interior.
If it is an original paint car, I would try to preserve that as much as you can. It is getting extremely difficult to find a solid car like what you have there. I see your car as having SO much potential. You could keep it all original, or vintage speed. Either way, it would make one sweet car!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

If that is an original paint black car and you're worried about resell value..do not paint that car. If you don't like black/red then sell it and buy another one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Additional photos

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=55rover
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Remember its only old once and anything you do to blemhish the OG will effect the selling of the car. Its your car do as you will....perhaps you can try to swap it for one you like in classifieds that has had all the alterations you like a 55 3 fold is very coveted..all OG.
Cheers

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Too nice to paint. Check out some threads on restoring cars with original paint. You have a real gem there!! If I had a painted oval ready to go right now I would trade you straight across. Shoot, I might even paint an oval in your favorite color, just to get my hands on that car!! Very Happy
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

What Skim said.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

[quote="55rover"]College Car (stored since mid 80's) is now up for restoration. Looking for guidance on restoration plan. Later model (non-split) trans-axle and non-matching 36. Pan and body matching. The car has never been repainted (black/red interior). Little rust (in Oklahoma for at least 40 years). Goal: original look restoration. Feel free to weigh in on any topic.

Questions:
- How important to valuation is the original paint color and interior? (I am not a fan of black)
- Is finding and installing an original "crash box" trans-axle a major valuation issue?
- Considering upgrading bolt on type improvements such as: 12 volt, front disk brakes, later trans- axle, larger brake master cylinder, higher performance 1.2L engine (probably dual port heads and dual carbs).

Comments, opinions, criticism, and accusations of insanity welcome.

[/quot

You may think these questions frivilous, but answering TRUTHFULLY may help you consider if this is the right VW for you.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

yep, Ok so the exterior is repainted (not sure of the interior).
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
What Skim said.

Lol, did I miss something?? I haven't seen Skim make any posts here
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
yep, Ok so the exterior is repainted (not sure of the interior).

Why repainted?
pink kitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Slam it on earlies Wink Laughing
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

So it has been repainted?

That changes everything. At that point just do whatever you want.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I'm not sure that it's been confirmed as being repainted, but it sure looks like clear coat flaking on the hood, roof, and top of right front fender to me.
Maybe it's been cleared over original black paint? Who knows... Unless we see pics of it clean, we will never know. Either way, this looks like an extremely solid car from the pictures provided.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I based my recall on the following photo which the owner posted a link to.

As another poster noted, that appears to be clear coat.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Message received, leave as original as possible (bolt on vintage speed arguably OK). Retain as much original finish as possible (yet to be determined and subject to a new post).

Response to Wheel607 really good questions:

55rover: 1980, friend of a friend had car. I had sold my high school VW dune buggy project a while back and had the knowledge to help him with a few engine problems (I rebuilt his carburetor). I thought it was a cool vintage car at that time.

55rover:Bought it for more than it sold for new but less than $1,000 (all I had at the time). I think it was $800. I probably overpaid, I got a lot of grief from my wife (Note: I still have the VW, I have a new wife)

55rover: Unknown at this point, with the value of the car north of $20k in a restored condition, some number less than that would be rational.

55rover: Maximize the value of a great example of German engineering and make it interesting, attractive and fun.

55rover: I can't imagine making enough on this car to make a long term difference. That being said, I wouldn't want to put money into it that would decrease the ultimate value. That would be dumb.

55vover: I would like it to be worth equal to or more than I put into it, whatever that number may be.

55rover: Thanks for the feedback!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: