Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what size to build?.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: what size to build?. Reply with quote

how can I get 140hp Minimum, but still keep it driveable for a 160 mile trip on highway once a year?.i am not looking to get 100,000 miles out of it.its fine if I have to rebuild every few years...stroker?.I am just looking for a couple of combo options I can build to give me that hp range but not burn it up on a trip to cape cod 160-200 miles away.1915? -2110?..not sure what combo can do that for me.NO turbo..high test gas is fine.for my fiberglass buggy.any insight guys?.this is going to be my winter build to keep me busy,thanks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

2110, CB Panchitos, Web 86a, 9:1, 44mm carbs. 1 5/8 exhaust.

brad
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

slalombuggy,i had really been thinking about a 2110.i just looked up that cam and heads.that sounds like a pretty strong combo!...thank u Sean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

I agree. 82X90.5=2110, CNC Panchito heads, Engle FK-8 cam w/1,4 rockers, dual Weber 44 IDF's, 1 5/8" exhaust 9.2-9.5 CR. A classic combo that will get 140 HP and 80K+ miles
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

thanks guys.from what I been reading u guys know what u are doing with these engines.i appreciate the advice and insight.I will be going with the 2110 and the Panchito head combo. Sean..
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

Stroker is the way to go!
My 2650 cc Type IV Porsche dynoed in at 180hp with 200lbs or torque. Its a pussy cat at 8.5:1 compression. I'm running a standard beetle gear ratio with taller than stock tires. It's a beautiful combination. I went type IV because I dont want to rebuild. I spent my money once. It will probably out last me 😎.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

Glasser ,yes that's sweet!!.I watched a video recently of your bug.thats what I want.alot of HP but still be a daily driver to some extent in the summer.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
Glasser ,yes that's sweet!!.I watched a video recently of your bug.thats what I want.alot of HP but still be a daily driver to some extent in the summer.

I went a little over the top but man is it nice. The torque just sets you back in the seat. Just idles down the highway, need to pass someone, not a care in the world.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

140 hp is stock with a Corvair. This is a bit more. 100,000 miles is very do-able

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

They were a 2700cc 6 cylinder engine. The base model with twin carbs was 110 hp, the performance one with 4 carbs was 140 hp and the factory turbo engine with a single carter side draft carb was 180 hp. They were very much over built at about 300 pounds and yes they lasted well!

I highly doubt a punched out VW engine at that hp, even a type 4 could match their longevity.

Nice looking engine by the way, I would love to hear it run! Are you running the Corvair transaxle or a reverse rotation cam?
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

that's nice.believe me I thought about an adapter plate and a chevy v8 small block.lol.but I want to stick with the vw engine.i have had plenty of chevy v8,s.i do like the corvair,s tho.those motors must be getting hard to find..
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

that really does look nice.i like the fan setups on those and the type 4,s..
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

Its not my engine, just a pic Off The Samba

There were 1.7 million Corvairs made. Engines won't be difficult to find in our lifetime.

The largest Corvair parts business in the Universe, Clark's Corvair is in Shelburne, Mass. They remanufacture parts like piston/cylinder sets, rods, cams, etc., to better than new spec

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/main

The 110 and 140 are identical except the heads and carbs. 110 actually has more bottom end torque, 140 more top end hp.

https://nh.craigslist.org/pts/d/corvair-110-engine-complete/6671555103.html

https://allentown.craigslist.org/pts/d/corvair-140-heads-corvair-150/6661780623.html

Kennedy makes the best Corvair to VW adapter now.

If you decide to rebuild the engine from the crank up, put in a reverse rotation cam. If you're going to just do a top end, you'll need to flip the ring gear to the opposite side of the diff.

If you think you might go with a Corvair engine, buy this book first

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/search.cgi?part=C2406A
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

I had a '65 Monza turbo and like a fool, sold it! They are getting pretty hard to find around here!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

The guys that own them are dying faster than people are buying them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

I haven't actually seen a Corvair in this part of the country in 18 or 20 years. There was a body shell about a 1/2 hour from here at one time but it's gone now too.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

BL3Manx I did not know that.i am 20 mins from Shelburne!!...Hmmm ill be looking into that..thanks for the info!! Sean...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I haven't actually seen a Corvair in this part of the country in 18 or 20 years. There was a body shell about a 1/2 hour from here at one time but it's gone now too.

This is a bargain. Is it far?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/complete-corvair-140-engine/6681729269.html
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/1964-corvair-monza-spyder/6687741148.html
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

there is a lot of them and I would say cheap near me in western MASS.that 1962 spyder is 2grand!.corvair engines is now a thought for another engine build.got me going now.lol..but I am in the beginning of my 2110 build!!..I COULD JUST BUY ANOTHER BUGGY!!... Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: