Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can’t get car to idle and run
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

hey everyone i have a 70 beetle with a 1600dp, 34pict3, and 034 svda with electronic ignition. i just finished putting motor back on after replacing plugs, adjusting valves, crank pulley, installing electronic ignition, oil, and new carb. the problem now is that is cranks and starts, but i have to have my foot on the gas, and the second i let go it dies immediately dies. it’s also backfiring through the carb and when it does start it’s running rough. i have the carb idle screw turned out 2.5 turns and the mixture screw 5 turns. currently it’s timing is set to 7.5* btdc with static light. firing order is set 1-4-3-2 as shown in the picture. i can choke out the carb when it’s running so i know there aren’t leaks. any ideas?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the top right wire is 1, and the one below is 4. shows in relation to the notch in the distributor where they sit.

electronic ignition, not the notch - just scratched
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

You have changed so many things, that's its difficult where to start. Do you own a Bentley? If not you should. I don't like the orientation of the dizzy, but you may have other problems as well.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
You have changed so many things, that's its difficult where to start. Do you own a Bentley? If not you should. I don't like the orientation of the dizzy, but you may have other problems as well.

i mean i do- but i’ve done all of this work before and never had issues until now. just unsure of what it could be. because it’s backfiring through carb but not lean and the timing should be somewhat set
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Can you take pictures of the whole engine?

Why was the engine removed?

What type of carb did you install?

Can you check for proper spark?

Pretty much go back to homebase and start over.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Compression is?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Can you take pictures of the whole engine?

Why was the engine removed?

What type of carb did you install?

Can you check for proper spark?

Pretty much go back to homebase and start over.

ill get a photo tomorrow. engine was removed to make it easier for me to pull the crank pulley, valves,plugs, and replaced oil cooler tin. went from a bocar 34pict3 to solex34pict3. i checked sparked and spark was strong and normal. seems like a fuel delivery problem i think since it stays alive with gas at idle, but when i go behind the car it smells rich
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Compression is?

haven’t checked. was running okay a week ago. just pulled for maintainenxe stuff and a few small things here and there to ease it
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

i also took the distributor out fully. could i have somehow put it in backwards or anything? i really don’t know what i should b looking for i am lost
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Rotate engine to TDC.
Pull 1,2 valve cover. #2 exhaust valve should be pushed towards the cylinders.

1,2 is on the passenger side. #2 piston is closest to the bumper on the passenger side.

Once you have TDC #1, check the distributor.

Post up pics of valves and distributor.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:

Was this photo taken with the engine at TDC, or 7.5 BTDC, for cylinder #1?

If taken with engine at TDC, I'd venture to guess your distributor shaft is not seated all the way down into the drive gear inside the hole.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
jacksonp32 wrote:

Was this photo taken with the engine at TDC, or 7.5 BTDC, for cylinder #1?

If taken with engine at TDC, I'd venture to guess your distributor shaft is not seated all the way down into the drive gear inside the hole.

it wasn’t at top dead center for the photo, just a random degree- sorry shoulda clarified that.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Rotate engine to TDC.
Pull 1,2 valve cover. #2 exhaust valve should be pushed towards the cylinders.

1,2 is on the passenger side. #2 piston is closest to the bumper on the passenger side.

Once you have TDC #1, check the distributor.

Post up pics of valves and distributor.

ill do this tomorrow and let you guys know
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

jacksonp32 wrote:
i also took the distributor out fully. could i have somehow put it in backwards or anything? i really don’t know what i should b looking for i am lost

The drive on the distributor shaft is offset to one side, so it can only fit one way, but if the distributor is not fully seated it may be randomly jumping out of the drive gear.

Check to make sure the rotor is fully seated on the distributor shaft, I recall reading somewhere on here about some older electronic ignition modules that had the magnetic trigger ring a bit too tall, and it would not allow the rotor to fully seat, allowing it to slip.

Are you absolutely sure you connected the plug wires correctly? Before you removed the distributor, had you ever noticed where the rotor was pointing with cylinder #1 at TDC on the firing stroke?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Just throwing that out there...

About 2 months ago I purchased a rebuilt distributor from Bill (Wcfvw69) and a carburetor from Tim at Volkzbitz - pretty much the creme de la creme when it comes to quality rebuilt units.

I installed them and couldn't get the freaking engine to run worth a shit. Just couldn't. I swapped back the old parts and no issues. I reinstalled the new parts and once again I was met with an engine that wouldn't run for crap.

I emailed them both. Took a video and showed it to them. I was questioning everything that was going on because these parts were expensive.

And then, then I found it. Not only once but TWICE, when installing the new distributor (with new cap) I connected the wires as 1-2-4-3. I have NO idea how I did that. NONE! My mind was running on auto pilot and that's how I installed the wires. Once rectified, the engine ran.

Just posting this so that you look over your steps.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Update.. just checked valves and the distrubtor is set right and fully seated. quintuple checked firing order, and it is certainly correct. what other ignition or fuel problems could possibly cause this so randomly?

this is the new ignition i have for my stock bosch 034 - https://www.jbugs.com/product/1847V.html

valve clearance checked and was fine

fuel is pumping through carb powerful and well

have solid spark from coil - all wires plugged in fully

im lost
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

i can post a video of all of the above and the starting problem later today if that helps
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Can you put the points/condenser back in the distributor to verify there isn't a problem with the pertronix?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

Make sure your carb fuel shutoff solenoid is working -- you should hear it click once and it should fully retract the plunger when the ignition is switched on.
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

distributor was set up correctly. here’s a photo of distrubuter while car is at TDC. rightmost wire goes to 1, under that is 4, above is 3, and top one is 2.

i guess i can replace the electronic ignition with points and condenser to see if it fixes it today
jacksonp32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: can’t get car to idle and run Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Make sure your carb fuel shutoff solenoid is working -- you should hear it click once and it should fully retract the plunger when the ignition is switched on.

i only hear the click of the 12v sparking. could this be causing all of the issues?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: