Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AA h beam rods?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I know there have been problems lately with their I beam rods, but how about the H beam rods?
And how is their 4340 crankshaft quality?
Thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

MConstable wrote:
Hey guys, I know there have been problems lately with their I beam rods, but how about the H beam rods?
And how is their 4340 crankshaft quality?
Thanks

I'm currently installing these exact items in my 2180...Again.
I had a couple hundred miles on them and upon disassembly, all looked good.

I used the 5.4" rods and an 82mm CW crankshaft.

The rods were perfectly balanced right out of the box.

The crankshaft needed a little fine tuning at the balance shop.

Make sure to check the crank oil galley's. The galley plugs are likely a little deep seated in the crank. Scrub the galley's "really" well and reassemble.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Thanks!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Good to hear they are good quality, I'm looking to eventually do a 74mm or 76mm crank, 5.325" rods, and 90.5mm piston/cylinder based build using all AA parts at some point.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

What's the fascination with them? Don't they cost just as much a CB rods?
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Well, CB doesn't carry 5.325 in H beam I believe.

-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
What's the fascination with them? Don't they cost just as much a CB rods?

Actually the AA "H" beam rods are more expensive than the CB rods right now.
The funny thing is. I cannot find the 5.325" rods on AA's site.
But Cb does have them.

I bought mine on sale during the Christmas sale season. So they were likely less than the CB rods at the time.

Honestly I cannot see any difference between the two vendors rods. Other than the CB logo on the CB rods. The AA's just have the length laser etched on them.
Maybe they are made in the same Chinese factory!

Good Luck.

EDIT: Yet another funny observation. The AA 4340 crankshafts are $40.00 less than the CB 4340 crankshafts. At least in 82mm stroke. So the overall price is a wash in the long run.
Just sayin!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

AA has a 15% off coupon ("AASAVE15") and ships cheaper than CB, usually. I like them.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

You need to look very close when you buy rods. Some have real ARP rod bolts and some have cheap Chinese rod bolts. There is a major difference in quality. Some vendors sell balanced sets, some vendors just sell 4 rods.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

What size bolts do the AA rods have? I know the CB are 5/16, and the Scat are 3/8.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

esde wrote:
What size bolts do the AA rods have? I know the CB are 5/16, and the Scat are 3/8.

It's optional with AA. The choice is yours to make.
I used the 5/16th on my 2180.

You can also select ARP fasteners. If you wish.

Good Luck.

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Good to hear they are good quality, I'm looking to eventually do a 74mm or 76mm crank, 5.325" rods, and 90.5mm piston/cylinder based build using all AA parts at some point.

The 76mm crank, 5.5" rods, and "B" height pistons results in a nearly perfect deck height, stock width engine.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

For the 5.325 rods check Empi also....same rods, just order with the Arp fasteners. All rods come from same Chinese factory....so I've been told by someone I trust. Not all vendors carry this size rod in H beam.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

For the 5.325 rods check Empi also....same rods, just order with the Arp fasteners. All rods come from same Chinese factory....so I've been told by someone I trust. Not all vendors carry this size rod in H beam.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VW-Beetle-H...3c91A7mHic

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/auto-parts-...3c91A7mHic

Wink Wink

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

How well do you trust that those will actually have real ARP fasteners at that price?

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

You cam visually see the difference in the rod finish and quality from an AA/EMPI H-beam and a CB. Inspect the mating sufaces. Are they as flat as CB's? Look at the rod bolts. Are they rolled steel, like CBs, or do they look cut? How smooth/flat are the bolt flanges? Look at the shot-peening on the bodies of the rods. All CB rods have lines in the big ends from running dial bore gauges through them. Never seen any other rod with those.

I have two new sets of CB 5.325" H-beams. They do make them.
v8nate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

I've ran a set of stock aa heads with no problem(supercharged) I'm building a motor right now with aa 4340 80mm crank, aa 4340 5.4 rods, aa 90.5 pistons, and aa 40x35 heads. Heads need alot of cleanup but for the price I cant complain too much and all the clearances are coming out perfect
Simon DeCasas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

I found a set of 5.5" rods but how do I know which side goes up? i know the stock ones have the tang but these are just blank they were in an AA box but dont look it and they look new.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AA h beam rods? Reply with quote

Simon DeCasas wrote:
I found a set of 5.5" rods but how do I know which side goes up? i know the stock ones have the tang but these are just blank they were in an AA box but dont look it and they look new.

The AA "H" beam rods are straight up. Meaning the is no incorrect direction.

When I install them, I orient them with the rod and cap match numbers facing up.
I'm weird that way! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: