Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission grumbling
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Well, got the oil ordered at lunch today. Tried finding time between appointments, to pick it up locally, but I have failed. So, I finally gave up and ordered it from Amazon.

Redline 58204 Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil, as per MCM Scott.

That's the stuff!
I went through Amazon also . . . I was unable to find it locally.
I bought the gallon size though.

Cool that ya got yer transaxle all squared away Jimbo.
I put another thousand miles on my MCM trans just last week . . . road trip!
I thought that Scott went out of his way just for ME when he did my transaxle . . . guess he puts out extra effort for everybody!

Thanks 57! Having been at Scott shop and witnessing his work. I can tell you first hand that, attention to detail, is what sets him above everyone else. It was just amazing watching him go through the tranny! Everything was touched and inspected. He is a great guy with a big heart! His gruffness I keep reading about is misunderstood. It is just his focus. He is focusing on another thing right then, and not who is talking to him.

I suffer from that same OCD. My kids call it “work mode”. It is just a focus, consuming every last good brain cell! I like seeing that in craftsmen. Let’s me know they care and are concerned with their workmanship!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Well, got the oil ordered at lunch today. Tried finding time between appointments, to pick it up locally, but I have failed. So, I finally gave up and ordered it from Amazon.

That's the stuff!

I thought that Scott went out of his way just for ME when he did my transaxle . . . guess he puts out extra effort for everybody!

Thanks 57! Having been at Scott shop and witnessing his work. I can tell you first hand that, attention to detail, is what sets him above everyone else. It was just amazing watching him go through the tranny! Everything was touched and inspected. He is a great guy with a big heart! His gruffness I keep reading about is misunderstood. It is just his focus. He is focusing on another thing right then, and not who is talking to him.

I suffer from that same OCD. My kids call it “work mode”. It is just a focus, consuming every last good brain cell! I like seeing that in craftsmen. Let’s me know they care and are concerned with their workmanship!

I suffer from CDO,, its like OCD just in alphabetical order.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

That's the stuff!

I suffer from CDO,, its like OCD just in alphabetical order.

Freakin hilarious! I am sitting hear laughing and crying! Thanks for that.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

When people do these things for a living, yes they are very smooth in their work. AFter all, they have done this many times over.

Like a pro skater on the ice -

It is a great experience to watch the pros work on things. I hope you picked up some very good skills when you were there. I am sure one thing you noticed is they all have the proper tools for the work they are doing. HINT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
When people do these things for a living, yes they are very smooth in their work. AFter all, they have done this many times over.

Like a pro skater on the ice -

It is a great experience to watch the pros work on things. I hope you picked up some very good skills when you were there. I am sure one thing you noticed is they all have the proper tools for the work they are doing. HINT.

I agree! Knew it before I showed up. Scott has a ton of knowledge!!!

Learned a lot in those 8 hours!

I know about having the proper tooling. I have a full shop full of tooling geared towards contracting. My garage is full of automotive tooling and woodworking. The actual hard tools can be purchased or manufactured.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I like some "manufactured" tooling!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
I like some "manufactured" tooling!

I am with you on that. I make plenty of custom toolings for a lot of work I have done. I am still using my steel Type I & II trans jigs I made many years. ago. I have the factory ones, but I like using mine better.

Same goes for custom rifle work when I got going building M14 variant rifles. I machined all my jigs for torquing the barrels to receivers and checking alignments for my timing. I have jigs for custom bolt and scope work.

I like the freedom of having my own machining capability to make any tool I may have a need to use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Oil was delivered last night! That means Saturday is tranny swap day!!

Thinking about trying to install some type of mount to the top of the bellhousing bolts, like a section of square tubing, and extend it over to the body - somewhere? Maybe a shock mount? Anyone did this type of thing and has some advise they would be willing to share? Just thinking about it right now. Probably won’t pull the trigger till I take the body off the pan, in January. Just trying to think ahead, a little bit.

What is/are the best mount/bracing to install for controlling engine torquing and tranny nose cone breakage? I am opening up a can of worms, ain’t I?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Have a look at the "cool rides customs" stiffy. Kafer bar.
I have one on my 67. Works great!
https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/the-stiffy---kafer-bar-system.html

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I was curious to try the shockproof, but it has a warning about being to slippery for synchros so I been using the Redline "NS".

Does the shockproof shift ok?

I could swing by your place sometime . . . I'll let ya take mine for a test drive.

VW_Jimbo wrote:

What is/are the best mount/bracing to install for controlling engine torquing and tranny nose cone breakage? I am opening up a can of worms, ain’t I?

Scott makes a nice mid-mount . . . combine that with a rear engine-hanger bar.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
jpaull wrote:
I was curious to try the shockproof, but it has a warning about being to slippery for synchros so I been using the Redline "NS".

Does the shockproof shift ok?

I could swing by your place sometime . . . I'll let ya take mine for a test drive.

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I will PM you my number.

VW Logo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Looks good. I wonder why they did not tie it into the top to bolts, instead of crossing over the tranny tying the shock mount points together? Seems like it would be stronger and further reduce torque from the tranny.

I think I will be welding something together like this!

Thank you for the link!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

57BLITZ wrote:

Yes he does! He showed it to me when I was at his shop. I would love to add that in, when I have the body off in several months. But I want to drive it now and not rip it apart. I was hoping there was something that could help keep the car from shaking so bad out of the hole. It reminds me of wheel hop, but I did not think Bugs did that! Maybe they do when they have bigger engines.

I like that Kafer bar system. I think that I could fashion something close to it, while also integrating the top bolt mounting points, to really stiffen up the tranny rolling. Maybe a segment of L channel across those two bolts, with pivots for the cross bar to tie into. I need to think this one out.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I made up a brace that uses the swing axle Z bar body mounts out of heavy wall 30mm square box , it's also bolted to the floor . Then I've rods running from the frame horns , in my opinion it gives better geometrical support then the angle used to run back to the shock mounts .
I still had a bit of wheel hop . (I've a 091 bus to bug conversion with custom poly mounts ). A simple track bar under the back of the case fixed the wheel hop totally .
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Looks good. I wonder why they did not tie it into the top to bolts, instead of crossing over the tranny tying the shock mount points together? Seems like it would be stronger and further reduce torque from the tranny.

I think I will be welding something together like this!

Thank you for the link!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The coolrydes "Kafer" Bar ties into the rear frame horns. In the second pic you can see the brackets sandwiched between the trans cradle and the frame horns. This is the same at tying the bar to the upper trans bell housing bolts. If I understand your question.

On my current installed 1679 with heater boxes. I cannot run the frame horn drop rods. This causes the rear wheel to hop on a hard launch.

When I have the 2180 with "J" tubes and the frame horn drop rods in place.
I get a set of smoky rear tires on a hard launch! Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

I'm not sure what is ideal for a buggy.

I was unimpressed with the kafer bar in a bug, the way I usually did it worked better, but it did work far better than nothing.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606072
Then I took the kafer brace off, and made this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471095
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I made up a brace that uses the swing axle Z bar body mounts out of heavy wall 30mm square box , it's also bolted to the floor . Then I've rods running from the frame horns , in my opinion it gives better geometrical support then the angle used to run back to the shock mounts .
I still had a bit of wheel hop . (I've a 091 bus to bug conversion with custom poly mounts ). A simple track bar under the back of the case fixed the wheel hop totally .

I was looking at that today and thinking that is a great mounting point. You got any pictures?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Well, today I got the tranny out of the Bug.

And then pulled the nose cone off of it.

Cleaned it up and installed it onto the bueatiful rebuilt tranny. Thanks Scott!

Inserted the hockey stick and made sure it was engaged into the shift forks.

Painted it black and filled it with Heavy Shockproof.

Till it was full. Turned it by hand a bunch to get that oil all over the place!

And here it is all mounted in the car.

Now, the down side. Found the clutch cable fraying in the Bowden tube. Damn it! Now, I get to replace both! Lucky me, but I am happy I found it now, instead of when out driving!

Wreck, these look damn nice for mounting a cross bar across the top of the tranny. Then a couple of steel rods bolts to that cross bar down to the tranny top bolts! Awesome idea! Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

a picture speaks a thousand words . hard to get a really good picture as it's pretty tight for space under there .
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission grumbling Reply with quote

Thanks Wreck! Got me all sorts of ideas, now!

Why did you connect to the lower points, when the top would be a shorter distance? Is it beneficial, in some way?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: