Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

the early like 1976 and earlier had like rubber sleeves that fit over the horns on the trans mount. By 1977 those were gone and the horns were coated. There is no room for them on about 1977 and later.

My 1977 is a solid plate with no indents. I used some blue Loctite too when installing those bolts.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the early like 1976 and earlier had like rubber sleeves that fit over the horns on the trans mount. By 1977 those were gone and the horns were coated. There is no room for them on about 1977 and later.

My 1977 is a solid plate with no indents. I used some blue Loctite too when installing those bolts.

Thanks!

There isn't a more updated Bentley out there, right? I'm finding it lacking in the pictures department when it comes to having newer equipment (for example, there is no picture of an 091 transmission).
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

I received a response from Eric about the oil and break in procedure and this was his response:

Quote:
There is no break-in required. Just fill it with 90 or 85W-90 gear oil and you're ready to go. The shifting will be a little stiff at first; a little extra push to get it into gears, because it takes time for the new synchro rings to wear and conform to the gear hubs. There is nothing that could or should be done about that. Just drive it. The more it runs the better the shifting will get.

I'm trying to find 85w-90 gear oil and its harder than I thought.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

I bought gear oil for my bus online at Amazon.com.
There's also https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SLRSL24239

There's a section from the VW Workshop Manual on the 091 trans right here at thesamba.com:
go down to #10 on this page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/workshopbulletins/75_01_bus.php

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing the nose cone (with steel plate)? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I received a response from Eric about the oil and break in procedure and this was his response:

Quote:
There is no break-in required. Just fill it with 90 or 85W-90 gear oil and you're ready to go. The shifting will be a little stiff at first; a little extra push to get it into gears, because it takes time for the new synchro rings to wear and conform to the gear hubs. There is nothing that could or should be done about that. Just drive it. The more it runs the better the shifting will get.

I'm trying to find 85w-90 gear oil and its harder than I thought.

Run over to Riebes on Auburn Blvd in Citrus Heights. They have the CRC Stalube GL4 Gear oil. It works fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: